HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2015 Turkey Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-turkey-contest-144/)
-   -   2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2015-turkey-contest/396962-2014-returning-champs-turkey-killers.html)

Arrowmaster 01-09-2015 08:17 PM

2014 Returning champs The Turkey Killers

Here are the returning 2014 Spring Contest winners. They will defend their title. Here is their sign in sheet :)

2014 Champs The Turkey Killers

Team 5
1. Phil from Maine *
2. blackheel *
3. bigc870*
4. kellyguinn*
5. SouthernStrut56 *
6. camokenny *
7. Talondale *
8. Hawgman
9. txjourneyman
10. jepcho*
11. swampbuster*
12. backwoods13

* checked in

camokenny 01-10-2015 04:18 AM

camokenny here, ready willing and able.

Phil from Maine 01-10-2015 05:49 AM

Phil from Maine here ready for this years contest to start again!!

We had a great team last year and I surely hope all the players will be here for this year's contest. I know for one I clearly had a lot of fun and enjoyed the contest.. I hope the entire team did as well..

jepcho 01-10-2015 08:45 AM

We're back! And ready to win again this year! Checking in.

bigc870 01-10-2015 08:48 PM

bigc870 checking in!

I already have the fever and mid April is a long time away.

bigc870 01-17-2015 07:30 PM

Does anyone know how to make us a Team Avatar or someone that can?

We need to have a really nice one considering we are the returning champs.

I don't know how but I am going to look into it and see if I can do it but I have never even tried before so don't count on me for an Avatar but I will try.

Arrowmaster 01-17-2015 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by bigc870 (Post 4180785)

I don't know how but I am going to look into it and see if I can do it but I have never even tried before so don't count on me for an Avatar but I will try.

Avatars are really not hard to make. You can basically take any pic and you want and edit it with anything you want. You just have to get the right size for the site. I have used photobucket to make avatars in the past. Hope that helps out :)

Phil from Maine 01-18-2015 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by bigc870 (Post 4180785)

I see no, problem with that as long as we can come up with something we all like..

Phil from Maine 01-22-2015 04:35 PM

OK guys hopefully the others will be coming along shortly.. here is some pics i have found and edited to help with the Avatar.. I am not sure if I should post it here or not.. But, you folks decide which one you like best or put some more pics up and we can all decided which one to use.. Thanks team and I am very much looking forward to another challenging year..

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/memb...-loveslost.jpg

Ok here is 5 that I have.. If anyone finds some they like better post it up for us to decide on.. Myself out of these I like the first picture the best.. But, you guys all decide this one for us.. Thanks.. I am going to use the first one for now until we decide on what we want to use..

I found another ne that might be ok as well...

kellyguinn 01-23-2015 06:17 AM

I'm here. Cant wait for the season.

Phil from Maine 01-23-2015 08:50 AM

While we still have plenty of time for the team to come back together I am glad to see everyone slowly trickling in.. Yessa Mistah we will be giving it another try and will be enjoying the same team again.. I can hardly wait to see the reports coming in once again..

jepcho 01-25-2015 12:30 PM

I'm ok with whatever avatar you guys like. I'm just ready to start putting some birds on the ground and help us win again this year!

swampbuster 01-28-2015 12:35 PM

Swampbuster signing in. Can't wait to start chasing birds!!!! Glad we get another year to be on the same team.

Phil from Maine 01-28-2015 10:40 PM

I am glad to see some of our team mates getting back on here !! I can hardly wait for the gobbling to start again..

kellyguinn 01-30-2015 06:01 AM

I'm already seeing the birds starting to split up here in central Okalahoma. Hope everything slows down a bit since the season doesn't start till April 6

swampbuster 01-30-2015 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by kellyguinn (Post 4182742)
I'm already seeing the birds starting to split up here in central Okalahoma. Hope everything slows down a bit since the season doesn't start till April 6

Hey kellyguinn is there any public land around Alva?

Phil from Maine 01-30-2015 03:02 PM

The way the snow has started piling up here now I could not even see a bird for a while.. I think they have to dig them self out as well. If the weather man is right I am looking at around 6 to 7 feet of it by Tues. morning and that is all new stuff from last Monday on threw.. ( 8 days )

swampbuster 01-31-2015 07:12 AM

It has been warm earlier this week. Starting to cool back off. I hope we don't have a early spring. Our season starts April 20.

kellyguinn 02-03-2015 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by swampbuster (Post 4182764)
Hey kellyguinn is there any public land around Alva?

I think there is some a little west out toward the panhandle. I hunt south of there at Black Kettle and Packsaddle. Ellis Co. is just north of those areas also. Salt Plains is right there by Alva but I'm pretty sure there is no Turkey hunting there and the Deer hunting is by draw only.

I'm about 3 hrs from Black Kettle. If ya want to try it our pm me and I'll help ya out

swampbuster 02-09-2015 09:55 AM

Phil are you snowed in? Do we need to come and dig you out?

swampbuster 02-09-2015 09:57 AM

It's about 60 degrees down here

bigc870 02-09-2015 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by swampbuster (Post 4184136)
It's about 60 degrees down here

We had a few days here in the MO bootheel that where right at 60 last week but we are back in the upper 20's at night and around 40 during the day.

This weekend the temp is really supposed to bottom out in the high single digits or lower teens with highs in the upper 20's and lower 30's.

So far we haven't had much warm weather yet. As much as I hate cold weather when I start thinking about turkeys this time of year I hope it doesn't get warm to fast just for the sole purpose of turkey hunting.

Glad to see I am not the only one fired up already!

swampbuster 02-11-2015 08:42 AM

I hope it doesn't get warm to fast just for the sole purpose of turkey hunting.

Glad to see I am not the only one fired up already![/QUOTE]

A early spring for us is not good. We start April 20, for a southern state that's pretty late.

bigc870 02-11-2015 03:46 PM

We have the same opening day the 20th of April.

I know there is no doubt that they will be gobbling way before then, just how much and how often depends on the weather.

camokenny 02-13-2015 05:46 PM

Guys don't worry about how warm it gets in your area all that will do is make for more vegetation that you will have to deal with. The amount of daylight in a day is what triggers the breeding season, temp does not have much to do with it. I have shot strutting gobblers in early april with snow on the ground and cold, as well as the last day of may in neb when it was hotter then the hubs and they worked the same as mid season birds. Don't fret it guys if they are there you can call them in.
I am so ready for this season to start.

Phil from Maine 02-15-2015 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by swampbuster (Post 4184135)
Phil are you snowed in? Do we need to come and dig you out?

Yeah, pretty much.. But we are used to snow.. It just will not stop coming in here.. We did have 2 big storms blow by us leaving us with around 6 inches to go with an average of 67 inches on the ground and today we are getting hit hard again.. It has only just started here and they are calling for at least 2 more feet of it and perhaps a little more than 3 feet depending on how the storm reacts.. That and along with up to hurricane force gusts reaching a little over 70 miles an hour.. Our turkeys could end up out to sea before this frigging mess gets over with.. I am betting on a lot of high water once ourweather starts warming up here.. Yesterday alone without the wind chill factor it was 27 below.. BBBbbrrrrrrrr I might be able to dig out some flash frozen turkeys here now.. I wish it would hurry up and break for a while like maybe a 100 years or so.. lol But, it is what it is and our already low deer population is clearly going to get hit hard by coyotes let alone the cold and snow..

swampbuster 02-15-2015 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by camokenny (Post 4184871)
Guys don't worry about how warm it gets in your area all that will do is make for more vegetation that you will have to deal with. The amount of daylight in a day is what triggers the breeding season, temp does not have much to do with it. I have shot strutting gobblers in early april with snow on the ground and cold, as well as the last day of may in neb when it was hotter then the hubs and they worked the same as mid season birds. Don't fret it guys if they are there you can call them in.
I am so ready for this season to start.

I agree camokenney it is all based on length of day. I am just going off past seasons when we have had early springs I have not done very good in my home state. I can't wait either for turkey season!!!

Phil from Maine 02-15-2015 08:58 AM

Good news for me anyways!! This last snow storm appears to have made a curve and heade out with the tide!! We are getting some but no where near the amounts they had called for !! I hope more of them will do the samething and head out to sea for us..

swampbuster 02-16-2015 07:50 AM

We got about 1-2in of sleet last night, no work,no school. We get enough to make a foot print everything shuts down. Over the next 10 days we will struggle to get out of low 40's. That should slow a early spring down hopefully.

bigc870 02-17-2015 12:46 PM

Folks I got a decoy question.....

Over the years I have hunted with with one or two hens and jake or full grown tom and I have never been about to get a male turkey to come in they always hang up, this has held true for 6-7 years and I have had pretty good success with just hens.

But here is my question if I put out a feeding hen and a submissive hen out with NO male decoys. Do you think the bird I am trying to call in would be more or less likely to come in because it sees the hen in submissive or would it put it more on alert?

I know you can't say for sure, just looking for some input on how you feel about the setup I might try this spring.

swampbuster 02-19-2015 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by bigc870 (Post 4185539)
Folks I got a decoy question.....

Over the years I have hunted with with one or two hens and jake or full grown tom and I have never been about to get a male turkey to come in they always hang up, this has held true for 6-7 years and I have had pretty good success with just hens.

But here is my question if I put out a feeding hen and a submissive hen out with NO male decoys. Do you think the bird I am trying to call in would be more or less likely to come in because it sees the hen in submissive or would it put it more on alert?

I know you can't say for sure, just looking for some input on how you feel about the setup I might try this spring.

I have not had a lot of luck with full srut decoys, they seem to try and skirt around them. I don't think a submissive hen would put a turkey on alert. If you try it let us know how it turns out

swampbuster 02-19-2015 06:03 PM

This afternoon went driving around the national forests and saw a group of eight hens saw lots of gobbler tracks in the snow. Can't wait to start chasing them!!

swampbuster 02-21-2015 06:01 AM

Just found out that I will be starting my turkey season off in Alabama in a month. Can't wait to get started chasing turkeys. I have never hunted in Alabama or hunted that early in the spring. Can't wait to get things started!

jepcho 02-21-2015 07:19 AM

Hey guys, I haven't been on in a couple weeks thought I'd check in. It's been plenty cold here, some -10 degree weather this week, but I still cant stop thinking that spring is right around the corner. Opening day up here is April 13th, but I will be taking my little brother out before that during our youth season which opens April 4th. Might still be pretty cold by then, but the birds will be gobbling! So I'll be hard at it this year from April 4th till about May 17th, unless I find another place in Nebraska to go late season, then I might be hunting another week after that.. It's going to be a great spring season and I cant wait!!

Talondale 02-27-2015 07:25 AM

Wow. Things started back sooner than I thought. Checking in.

Phil from Maine 02-28-2015 09:03 AM

Welcome back Talondale! It is good to have you signing in.. I hope everyone has a great season this year.. I am concerned about mine right now with record snowfall that has broken our 100 year old records and more heading our way.. You guys may end up dragging the captain along this year.. I hope not though and I can help carry things along again..

Talondale 03-02-2015 05:40 AM

We still have snow on the ground here, nothing like you guys though. Saw turkey walking the edge of my woods yesterday in the snow. Opening weekend is April 11th.

Phil from Maine 03-02-2015 01:45 PM

I am hearing a few has been seen walking along a section of highway in which one was hit by someone driving by,, Other than that I have not heard on seen any yet.. Hopefully the snow has not been to hard.. I am thinking it was terrible for them as it was all light and fluffy for the most part.. This what things look a lot like right now up here in my area.. This bank here is where it had drifted and is roughly 12 feet tall.. Most are around 6 plus feet tall right now..

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/memb...-snow-bank.jpg

swampbuster 03-02-2015 04:13 PM

Hopefully things start to warm up for you Phil!

Phil from Maine 03-03-2015 02:36 AM

Thank you, I am hoping so as well. It is supposed to get up to 40 tomorrow and then tomorrow night another big snowstorm.. I will be glad when things start heating up a bit and melts all this stuff away.. My guess is during our turkey season will be some serious flooding going on.. But with some luck I will still be able to locate some birds..