Team 8 "Heavy Hitters"

Old 09-09-2014, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deep Shafts! lol
Death from Above
Robin Killyenz (too soon?) haha
Nocked and Loaded
Go Buck Yourself

Last edited by fingerz42; 09-09-2014 at 06:02 AM.
Old 09-09-2014, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Talondale
iayotehunter, what are you hunting elk with, black powder or bow? Which unit? I BP hunted 56 3 years ago. It was fun and look to get back there someday.
Bow. Unit 214
Old 09-09-2014, 03:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by iayotehunter
Good luck this weekend. Hopefully you can put 25 PTs on the board with a doe for us
Thanks! I feel good that I will put us on the board this Saturday or Sunday. I can taste the STRAPS on the open fire already! LOL!

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-09-2014, 03:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by camokenny
Heavy Hitters sounds good to me.
Good luck this weekend and next week guys.
Thanks.

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-10-2014, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Bow. Unit 214
Cool, I looked at the Steamboat area as well. Have a great time. First trip?
Old 09-10-2014, 11:45 AM
Typical Buck

Cool, I looked at the Steamboat area as well. Have a great time. First trip?
Yes, first trip. Going to be completely different than here in Iowa. Never seen the mountains before so no matter what the trip will be a success in my books. Hoping to do a little bit of filming also.
Old 09-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, first trip. Going to be completely different than here in Iowa. Never seen the mountains before so no matter what the trip will be a success in my books. Hoping to do a little bit of filming also.
You LUCKY BUCK!!!! Have a Great time. Some day i WILL get out to see them Big Hill's . I want to do a Elk Hunt before I get to Old . I am 54 but I keep myself in decent shape still. But the window is closing . Be Safe and suck it all in.

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-11-2014, 05:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

iayotehunter I hope you're getting conditioned and remember to hydrate BEFORE you get there. It helps with altitude sickness. I was force drinking water the whole drive there and had no problems other than not being able to breathe. LOL. The other advice I'd give is take your time. These aren't whitetails and it's a game of days not one shot opportunities like with a roaming buck. If you spot a elk worth shooting don't force the situation. Only go for it if the circumstances are just right. If not back out and he'll most likely be in the same area tomorrow. If you blow it he WILL run out of your zone and then you won't get another shot. Most of the hunt is just finding them. Once you find them take your time and make the situation right. Ask me how I know.

Hatchet Jack, when I went I went with my Dad. He was 73 at the time. We had to go slow and couldn't go in deep. But we saw elk and even got close on a nice bull. (see above) Going slow in the mountains with elk is not a bad thing. So I'd say you have plenty of time. But go sooner because you'll likely want to go back again and again.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

iayotehunter I hope you're getting conditioned and remember to hydrate BEFORE you get there. It helps with altitude sickness. I was force drinking water the whole drive there and had no problems other than not being able to breathe. LOL. The other advice I'd give is take your time. These aren't whitetails and it's a game of days not one shot opportunities like with a roaming buck. If you spot a elk worth shooting don't force the situation. Only go for it if the circumstances are just right. If not back out and he'll most likely be in the same area tomorrow. If you blow it he WILL run out of your zone and then you won't get another shot. Most of the hunt is just finding them. Once you find them take your time and make the situation right. Ask me how I know.

Hatchet Jack, when I went I went with my Dad. He was 73 at the time. We had to go slow and couldn't go in deep. But we saw elk and even got close on a nice bull. (see above) Going slow in the mountains with elk is not a bad thing. So I'd say you have plenty of time. But go sooner because you'll likely want to go back again and again.
Thanks Talondale thats nice to know. The main thing for me is just to see that part of the country and hear and see Elk or whatever game. If I get a chance , and thats all you can ask for then that's a bonus. I try to hunt the Midwest each year and I love the Midwest! I seen some GREAT Bucks in KS,IL,KY and Ohio. My best Buck to date is a 124/5/8th inch 10pt I shot in IL. I had great chances on two other Big Bucks in KS and IL and well, thats two sad stories for another time. The people out there are nice and friendly and its clean and wide open. If I could I would move out there to live today.I am thinking of giving up a few trips and start saving for a Elk trip in two years. I hunt Ohio this year and it all depends on how that trip is this year. Its a low budget semi guided hunt for 5 days Nov 10th til Nov14. It with Working Man's Outfitters. Hey I will be sitting in a treestand from flashlight to flashlight near the Rut I hope in Se Ohio. I am hoping for COLD weather, just wish I had a better Moon. Be safe.

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-12-2014, 05:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can do the CO hunt on the cheap if you realize that success is based on the experience. The biggest expense will be your tag and gas. Other than that it's just basically a camping trip in the national forest. If you are going to be bowhunting then that is early in the season, usually, and the elk will be high up, above the timberline. Most of the time you will just be doing long range scouting and then you try to get in position with the wind for the shot. You may have to wait a day to try. It only has to be as extreme as you want to make it. We never hiked more than a mile and I saw a 300"+ bull. Granted, if you want to pack in farther you'll have a better chance but it increases logistics. It can be done easier. We drove up pre-dawn to the timberline and then sat in the truck and spotted for elk. When we spotted one we tried to move into position. If you chose to pack in you could just hike in and have prearranged deal with someone with horses willing to pack out the elk if you are successful. Another alternative is to have a base camp which you can setup out of your truck and then spike camp a night or two up high.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.