Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2012 Turkey Contests
2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board >

2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board

Community

2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board

Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ended my season in Texas this morning with bird number 6. I went to the LBJ Grasslands Saturday. I hunted Sat. and Sun. without success. I didn't even hear a gobble. It's been hunted hard the past few weeks and most of the birds are on surrounding private land. The place is a strange setup. It's smaller tracts of gov. land scattered within private land. My wife has a friend who has some property north of Decatur and the Grasslands. I called him and he said come on up. He is not a turkey hunter and said he hasn't seen any turkeys, but I went anyway. Couldn't be any worse. I didn't hear any gobbles early, but about 9:00 one gobbled. I walked closer to the area I heard him gobble and set up. I called and he gobbled but wasn't coming. That's when I heard the hen. I called, she called, and he gobbled. My plan now was to piss the hen off, so I got aggressive on my calling. After about 10 more minutes, she couldn't stand it anymore and came running my way. She was looking for me. The gobbler took his sweet time, but he finally followed the hen, which by now had walked by me still looking for the hen that upset her. The gobbler stopped in front of me about 25 yards out and that was it. Nice way to end my 2012 season. He weighed 18 lbs 8 oz, both spurs were a little under an inch, and had a 9 inch beard. He officially scored 52.125.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-100_2209.jpg   2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-100_2212.jpg  
Old 04-25-2012, 12:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

It was kind of a crazy hunt. After Monday's hunt we knew we had to move the blind. We moved it to the only place we thought we would have a chance at the gobblers we were targeting. The only problem is we had to go through the roost to get to the blind. Tuesday morning as we are stealthily creeping along to our blind we jumped one bird off the roost. Just after 6AM we figured it must have been the real big one we were after because we never heard him gobble. However we were over run by hens. They were everywhere which was very good for us of course. We really didn't even have to call any. The hens were doing the calling for us. As we are quietly talking in the blind and hens are clucking on all sides of us, all of a sudden my buddy says get your gun up now!!!!! He says there is a Tom standing about 15 yards directly in front of us. We never seen where he came from and he never made a sound. It was as if he appeared out of nowhere. He was all puffed up, tail feathers spread and he was strutting his stuff. I didn't even bother looking at his beard, I just put the bead of my Remington 870 12 gauge on him and let him have it. He went right down for a good old dirt nap. This was at 7AM. My buddy says well, let's get going. I said, are you nuts? Turkeys are singing everywhere and they still were even after I shot him. So just a little calling and by 7:30AM he took a 40 yard shot and another one and it went down for a dirt nap. Now we will only be shooting Long Beards. Unfortunately, I can't go back out until next Monday. I think we also found another way into the blind without having to walk right through the roosting area. I was hoping for a Long Beard first and his score isn't much, but hopefully I will be able to upgrade with my next bird. Well, here are the measurements and the pics.

Eastern

Weight - 17 pounds

Left Spur - .5"

Right Spur - .5"

Beard - 4.5"

TOTAL SCORE = 36
Attached Thumbnails
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-turkey1.jpg   2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-turkey2.jpg   2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-turkeybeard.jpg   2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-turkeyhead2.jpg  

Last edited by ManofTheFall; 04-25-2012 at 12:21 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:57 AM
Super Moderator

Heres my second Missouri bird.

Old 04-26-2012, 07:30 AM
Super Moderator

My 2012 Indiana turkey killed at 9 am 4/26/12

Old 04-28-2012, 07:50 PM
Typical Buck

Arrow is a oneman turkey killing machine.....that's 4 right?
Old 04-29-2012, 03:13 AM
Typical Buck

The story goes- my 12 y/o son and I get to the blind at 7:45am yesterday, 4/28. It had rained throught the night and was lightly raining off and on. We get set up on land I just got Friday. We were there 10-15 minutes and a hen started yelping behind us. I called and she yelped back and then a gobble. I called a few more times and waited. Everything got quiet and I was guessing they cut out on us and reached down to pick something up and I saw the hen. She was walking through the set up. I told Nathan to get ready. He said he couldn't see her yet. She walked in front so he could now see her. Then we started hearing the spit and drum. You could feel him vibrate. It seemed like an hour but was a few minutes, he stepped out on Nathans left side. Nathan couldn't see him yet without moving a bunch. I told him to wait. The tom walked out at 15 yards, quartering way toward the hen, but never showed his head and Nathan couldn't shoot him. He would stop and strut when I would call, but he kept him head tucked down and never looked up....showed us his fan/rear the whole time. He finally walked out of Nathan's 20g range...never once stopped or raised him head. At 35 I picked my gun up, asked Nathan if he was ok with my shooting the Tom, he told me yes. I asked him again and he stated, "Shoot him already!!" I shot and dropped the bird at 38 steps. The look of joy and excitement on Nathan's face was great, but like I told him, this was my second favorite turkey hunt ever, he asked my what was my first and I told him when he kills his first bird. I felt guilty about taking the bird, but we had talked before about the shot and taking the right one. He made a very mature choice and in not shooting. He will get his for sure soon, but the fact we shared this hunt will be #2 in my heart! We then had to run for the truck due to a pretty strong t-storm and the lightning was intense just as we got to the truck...

Last edited by firelt72; 04-29-2012 at 03:18 AM.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:40 AM
Typical Buck

Killed this one Sat. morning, weighed 23 lbs. 15 oz. Has a 10 1/2 and a 5 1/2 inch beards, spurs were 1 3/16 both sides. Bird took his sweet time coming in. Had a hen strutting and trying to gobble 20 yards from me. Never heard that before. After holding my gun up for over an hour I lowered the boom on him.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-turkey2012-018.jpg   2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-turkey2012-104.jpg   2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-turkey2012-118.jpg   2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-turkey2012-142.jpg  
Old 05-03-2012, 09:36 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

Default Wisconsin Public Land Toad

Well my hunt yesterday got a rough start. Got up 2 AM and drove 3 hours to get caught in a cloudburst as I was driving up the wrong parking area. Slid down the steep mud trail and into a fresh plowed field. Jeep slid sideways 100' until gripping just enough grass edge to pull back onto trail. Sat there an hour until water ran off enough to make a run up the slope and get back on the main road. Found parking area I'd located on Google Earth. I'd never hunted this property, so used Google to ID 3 good prospect spots.

So late start but at least I wasn't stranded. I bumped a total of 14 birds hiking in a mile. Set up and in 30 minutes had a bearded hen filter in at 150 yards. Then I glassed a mature tom 1/4 mile away. I tried calling but doubt he heard me! 30 minutes later there he is topping a hill to my right eyeballing my Zink Avian feeding hen decoy. He gobbled 8 times and strutted on/off for 45 minutes but hung up at ~60 yards. Looked bad. I thought he'd be lured off by the bearded hen who'd returned, but then a hen showed up from behind him, ignored his struts and she walks right to my deke. The gobbler got pissed and promptly followed her to my decoy. He would not stop but I had a good bead and took him from 35 yards. Only 2 pellets in the breast. I've never shot a tom with 2 beards, but this guy had 4. This was a really cool hunt. Got to glass my tom a lot before my shot. First tom in 3 years. Thanks, hen!

Not sure what score procedure is. I read the captain must submit? Anyway here's the damage:

Eastern
Weight: 22.5#
Spurs: 1 1/16" & 1/2" (deformed)
Beard 1: 10"
Beard 2: 6"
Beard 3: 5 1/2"
Beard 4: 2"

I didn't see a place to enter multiple beards in the instructions. If I add them up the total score would be 85.125.

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...y/DSCN0170.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...y/DSCN0181.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...y/DSCN0172.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...y/DSCN0316.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...y/DSCN0201.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...y/DSCN0191.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...y/DSCN0199.jpg

http://i1222.photobucket.com/albums/...y/DSCN0198.jpg

I got a few other tags so I'm still hunting.

Last edited by Zim; 05-04-2012 at 05:27 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wink Beautiful Fan On My Eastern Turkey

My Turkey was not the biggest nor did he have the best hooks or beard but I think he has the best Fan of any bird I have seen so far this season. I'll show you mine and you show me yours and we will take a vote on who's Eastern bird has the best. The second picture shows some very rich color as well on the wings,he looked magnificent at full strut.
Attached Thumbnails 2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-r1-08635-008a.jpg   2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board-r1-08635-003a.jpg  

Last edited by doetrain; 05-08-2012 at 08:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

A lot of good eating and everlasting memories of God's bounty in the beautiful outdoors to name a couple! Now go back to your PETA website troll!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.