HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 2012 Turkey Contest Bragging Board
View Single Post
Old 04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
superstrutter
Nontypical Buck

Ended my season in Texas this morning with bird number 6. I went to the LBJ Grasslands Saturday. I hunted Sat. and Sun. without success. I didn't even hear a gobble. It's been hunted hard the past few weeks and most of the birds are on surrounding private land. The place is a strange setup. It's smaller tracts of gov. land scattered within private land. My wife has a friend who has some property north of Decatur and the Grasslands. I called him and he said come on up. He is not a turkey hunter and said he hasn't seen any turkeys, but I went anyway. Couldn't be any worse. I didn't hear any gobbles early, but about 9:00 one gobbled. I walked closer to the area I heard him gobble and set up. I called and he gobbled but wasn't coming. That's when I heard the hen. I called, she called, and he gobbled. My plan now was to piss the hen off, so I got aggressive on my calling. After about 10 more minutes, she couldn't stand it anymore and came running my way. She was looking for me. The gobbler took his sweet time, but he finally followed the hen, which by now had walked by me still looking for the hen that upset her. The gobbler stopped in front of me about 25 yards out and that was it. Nice way to end my 2012 season. He weighed 18 lbs 8 oz, both spurs were a little under an inch, and had a 9 inch beard. He officially scored 52.125.
Attached Images