HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2012 - 2013 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest-133/)
-   -   Intentional Grounding team 14 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest/369993-intentional-grounding-team-14-a.html)

Mibowhunter91 10-08-2012 06:05 AM

I've really been thinking of buying a decent camera just to film some hunts and wat not that was from my.phone I was surprised it turned out maybe since they were so close. Up here my deer hunt stops if a coyote comes by. When I used to trap a lot.more we got 24 in one season most came.from.just.2 properties the rabbits really came back after that year to. Glad to hear.someone saw deer I ended up working dark to dark Saturday then Sunday I was in the tree for 8 hours saw 0 deer. Those 2 stands aren't going to be hunted again until November I have a good feeling bout.both of them. Wow I can't type on this phone darn these little keys!!

Talondale 10-08-2012 06:10 AM

I had 5 deer bust me yesterday as I went in at first light. One was in the field and caught my scent when the wind switched for the first 20 minutes after light. Another saw me skylined as I entered the woods. The last three were coming up the trail I was on from behind me and spotted me. At least one was a confirmed buck. Usually the deer are in my woods before dawn and the only way to not bump them is wait for first light before entering and stalk to your stand. Didn't work out this weekend. I may get in early next time if they're lingering in the fields like this Saturday. In the afternoon I was a minute late from getting a chance at 20+ turkey that crossed my path 40 yards in front of me. Tried to use a lost call to get them back. Got impatient and tried to swing around them but they were coming back to me and I intersected them in a bad spot and was seen. Didn't see anything the rest of the day.

Mibowhunter91 10-08-2012 07:22 AM

The wind here was being really screwy to it would blow like forecasted then the next min it would swirl around. The season is still young

KSBOHUNTR 10-08-2012 09:27 AM

I bought some Scent-Lok Vertigo Camo last year and love it. I always shower with scentfree in the morning and then got my gear in a scent-tote as well. Last year it was tested well. In one morning sitting in a tripod on field edge and about 6 feet off the ground i had 7 deer walk right by. 3 all at different times, one a nice 8 pt, walked within 2 yds of me. They all seen me as I about rode them out of there and only backed off to about 10 yds never disturbed. That Vertigo Camo is amazing. Since that first morning last year not once have i been worried about wind or being seen. I have an action camera that hooks onto my stabilizer using the handle bar mount...I have that 8 pt on camera as proof. It's not the best camera but it will be cool to have it running when I shoot a deer. I'll try to figure out how to post it on my photo bucket account tonight.

Mibowhunter91 10-08-2012 10:10 AM

That would be kool to have it on when you shoot! My scent lok has a few tough seasons on it now its gonna get.replaced next year and I might just buy the exact same jacket and bibs. I'm not sure but with the scent lok dead down wind the deer heard in a stick a lot of deer have came from down wind smelled something not right but as long as they don't see me will keep goin. I'm not saying this will work on a mature buck that's y I still worry.about the wind is hate to chance it and never see that deer again

KSBOHUNTR 10-08-2012 10:32 AM

http://s533.photobucket.com/albums/e...iPod-Dec10.mp4

I forgot I had this saved and with me. I have 2 more videos from this same day but it takes a while for them to download so I'll post this one. Again, I can grab the feet area from the ground and seat is maybe 8 feet off of ground. Another video i grunt over a small buck and that is pretty cool but this buck gets close. You'll notice my rage broadhead at the top of the screen over hanging the camera just a bit.

Mibowhunter91 10-08-2012 10:40 AM

That is just to cool!! Nice buck too

KSBOHUNTR 10-08-2012 12:06 PM

I sure would have liked to shoot that deer last year after only getting a doe in late Dec. My wifes cousin owns this property and I bow hunt it and he rifle hunts it. We agreed that no small bucks get taken and let them grow. That was a nice 8 but not much mass for a KS buck. I later find out that her cousin and wife both kill two small bucks in Rifle season. I was like what the heck. I pass on that and you all both kill to runts. I can't say much, it's his property and I'm lucky to be on it but you could imagine what i was thinking after letting this easy one walk. Thankfully I found 2 new pieces of land to hunt last year also and I can shoot anything of my liking.

Mibowhunter91 10-08-2012 12:38 PM

Good for you I know the feeling!! So I just got a phone call from.my dad they this jack #$# is hunting.g.my.property again he's the one who stole stands.from.me before he says he's on the neighbors but the guy.only.owns half.an acer and I'm stuck at work my dad is going out yo find the guy and press charges if he is on our property on the neighbors

SlowDraw 10-08-2012 04:15 PM

I went out this morning and saw three bucks, one little 3 point, a small eight and an almost big enough not to get a pass 7. His right side was pretty decent but the left (3point side) had a shorter main beam and wasn’t quite as heavy. I am only hunting public property this year, but a couple of the properties, including the one I was on, hold some 120 + deer every year (I would be surprised if the one I passed made 100). And usually between me and a couple of friends we see one or two that would go over 140 (usually in the rut). Of course seeing them and getting a shot with a bow are two different things. The properties are very different, but both have a lot of really thick stuff that allows a few bucks to get up there in years. We are allowed a second buck if we take two does, but both of these bucks could be nice in a year or two, and without a doe down I don’t feel like scrambling to get two before the rut gets here. Hopefully I don’t regret letting him walk latter. I wasn’t real excited when he was in range, so I figured passing was the right call.

Mibowhunter91 10-09-2012 06:01 AM

Have no idea what it is but I get more excited when I see a doe.I'm.gonna shoot that a small buck I'll let pass. But man u can't beat that feeling

KSBOHUNTR 10-09-2012 09:34 AM

Matt, that sucks. Hope that gets taken care of and I know it's awful to be at work and you yourself are unable to take any action. This crap happens to often. Some friends of mine have a lot of property all timber until you reach this large creek and they have some dandy's on their place. 2 cameras were taken last year and they believe they know who did it and they also have the same 2 people hanging stands right over the fence. Now that isn't illegal of course but everyone knows you do it to get a shot across. The neighbor has also seen someone come out of my friends land as well. If you want to hunt those deer and bait them over to your land then so be it but don't cross the line...the fence line that is.

SlowDraw, I agree completely. If a deer doesn't get your heart going at all then it's not the one for you. I always tell myself if I really have to think about shooting this deer then I should pass because all you are doing is talking yourself into it.

Talondale 10-09-2012 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by KSBOHUNTR (Post 3988870)
SlowDraw, I agree completely. If a deer doesn't get your heart going at all then it's not the one for you. I always tell myself if I really have to think about shooting this deer then I should pass because all you are doing is talking yourself into it.

X2. No need to take a deer you won't feel happy about just to say you killed one. Good job letting him walk.

Mibowhunter91 10-10-2012 02:23 PM

well guys pulled some cards today and the 10 keeps showing up all over i just cant tell how old he is it really looks like hes packed on some weight since summer and a ndew 8 is here to

here he was this summer

and the 8

Mibowhunter91 10-10-2012 02:36 PM

does anyone have an idea how to clean up pictures?? there is a nice buck in the back ground of this picture its the only one i have of this deer and im really thinkin he mite be number 1 on my hit list

SlowDraw 10-10-2012 03:37 PM

Tough to age a deer on the hoof, especially one from a different part of the country. If I was looking at the summer pick I would say 3.5, but now that he has packed on some weight and has his thicker coat he could be 4.5. Either way it looks like a nice buck to me. I don't think I could pass him up, unless your property is very big and you have better deer available. The buck in the back round of the last pick definatly looks like a keeper too.

Mibowhunter91 10-10-2012 03:46 PM

The deer in the last pic looks 4.5 to me the 8 that's with him.is getting a free pass this year I think he will make it. I haven't seen the 10 in person yet or even started hunting him yet. At first I was thinking he was2.5 in the summer pictures now I'm not sure. And this buck and the other 8 are both on about 40 acres behind the house l. He is the reason I was so upset about the trespasser

KSBOHUNTR 10-11-2012 06:23 AM

I agree, I think the 10 pt. is 3 and older.

Get a load of this. This buck was shot about 4 to 5 miles from where I live. I don't hunt but maybe 6 to 7 miles from this area also. I would never have guessed a buck like this was in our area. It could be the new KS record and probably number 2 for sure. Green score was 259 6/8, 27 Pts. I need to look at what the record is. I have good friends that know this guy and the property owner of where the buck was. It's all legit.
http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...RecordBuck.jpg

KSBOHUNTR 10-11-2012 06:24 AM

That buck was shot last Wed. 10-3-12

Mibowhunter91 10-11-2012 07:05 AM

Wow!! Did the guy ever know it was there? I don't think words could describe what would be goin through my.head when a stud like that would walk in

SlowDraw 10-11-2012 08:37 AM

What a beast! I too would be curious to know if he had seen the buck before.

Talondale 10-11-2012 08:48 AM

Nice looking bucks there. I'd say 3.5 on the 10. Straight back, a little of nose curve, narrow chest. Could be a phenom 2.5 but my bet is on 3. Would think 2.5 on 8

Mibowhunter91 10-11-2012 08:55 AM

I wouldn't be surprised if he had no idea it was there its crazy how well a mature buck like that can stay hidden when he wants to! I think u r dead on with the 8 at 2.5 hopefully sooner or later I'll get a look at the 10 in person haven't went in after him yet once season started he's been showing up about an hour before light

sanders3469 10-11-2012 05:53 PM

yea the 10 is a nice young buck and i would say he is 3 not much older tho give him 2 years and he will be a monster

Talondale 10-12-2012 05:51 AM

Unless you have a unbelievable amount of land you are wasting your time passing on that 10. Come rut he'll be miles away and shot by someone else. The best you can do in that situation is take the nice 3.5 deer and pass the younger hoping that by shear volume some will make it to the 3.5 age with the even rare older buck. Limiting yourself unreasonably trying to mimic management practices designed for tracts of land in the 1,000s of acres is just hurting yourself and tainting your experience.

Mibowhunter91 10-12-2012 06:40 AM

O I agree I would love for.him to make it at least another year but who knows it seems like every year we keep 3.5 year old around but not.much.older than that

KSBOHUNTR 10-12-2012 02:00 PM

Good luck to anyone going to the woods this weekend. Our weather here in SE KS just changed yesterday and we got South winds at 20mph with possibly 30mph gusts. It's in the 70's again with those S. winds. It's already wet out and going to need some luck this weekend as I sway in the trees. Be Safe.

Mibowhunter91 10-12-2012 02:22 PM

Good luck to ya we have rain forecasted and I'm supposed to work...if it does rain I might get off!

SlowDraw 10-12-2012 04:32 PM

Went out this morning and someone was parked near were I have been going, so I hit another spot that is usually pretty good, but didn't see anything. There were two big scrapes with some large deer tracks in them. Did see a nice buck in a field that is on the public land but not open to hunting, at least I now know he is out there.

*twodogs* 10-12-2012 08:44 PM

28 degrees at sunrise with winds at 3 mph out of the SSE. Should be a great morning. Good night to all and good luck. BTW...cool video of those bucks.

Mibowhunter91 10-13-2012 01:42 AM

Good luck...seems wrong I'm heading to work rite now...but wat ya gonna do

KSBOHUNTR 10-15-2012 07:49 AM

No luck for me this past weekend. Severe storms kept me at home Sat. I went to a newer property with my climber yesterday evening. I got out there early to walk a bit and find a good spot. After an hour i wasn't seeing what I wanted and when i would find an open area, all the trees were jacked up. I got mad enough from not finding a good set up that i just left and went back to my old place that i hunt often. Seen 5 does just not around me. Winds were still above 15 mph from the Southern storms that blew 20 mph and above most of the weekend.

Mibowhunter91 10-15-2012 02:50 PM

Same here high winds and lots of rain still got.out didn't see much tho

Talondale 10-16-2012 07:46 AM

Got out Sat. Morning and had 6 hens walk by me at 4 yards. I was on the ground and had no chance at getting a shot off without being spotted. A little later heard two more behind me and got ready. They never came across the fence that separates my property from my neighbors, just fed about 20 yards on the other side and eventually flew away from me. Bumped 6 does on the way out that were bedded in an open wood area looking down at my house. Saw nothing in the afternoon. Yesterday, I got off work early and went up but the wind was gusty and swirling. Didn't see anything.

Canuck_2 10-16-2012 11:22 AM

Got back from my Utah trip, which was full of adventures. We were tenting and got totally soaked in a severe storm one night. My shooting was like a roller coaster - couldn't hit the ground with my hat in the target portion (900 rounds) but managed a silver in the 3D - which is way more important, right? :)

Looks like action is heating up for you guys. Just a matter of time with the activity you're finding now. Mibowhunter91, that's a great bunch of bucks in your photos. Sure hope you catch up to one of them. I'll be watching all of you whenever possible but, sadly (ha), I have to head for Europe for about 3 weeks. So if I don't show up for awhile, don't get cross with me, OK? :D

KSBOHUNTR 10-16-2012 12:37 PM

Canuck 2 - Hopefully some of us get flagged for intentional grounding by the time you get back and put some more points on the board. That is my new goal "Put points on the board by the next time you check in."

Mibowhunter91 10-16-2012 03:38 PM

That's a good goal to have!! Thanks canuck I tried going after the 10 1 time this weekend when the wind got swirling and 1/4 size hail was on its way and didn't wanna risk blowing the stand

sanders3469 10-16-2012 06:03 PM

well this is my luck i desided not to go out this afternoon cuz there was 15mph winds but instead i went out video scouting from the truck the area i was goin to hunt and wouldnt you know it 6 does and 2 small bucks were 10 yards from the front of my stand in the food plot kinda made me alil mad

SlowDraw 10-17-2012 06:14 AM

Didn't get out with the bow this week, and our early muzzleloader season starts tomorrow, so I'll be dragging out the smoke pole in the morning.

Mibowhunter91 10-19-2012 01:46 AM

Well I went out last night I was hoping the wind would die down but it looks like I was a day early. I saw 2 does and a nice 8 or 9 point I think I have this deer on camera and if its the same buck I'm glad he's hanging around still