HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   2012 - 2013 Bowhunting Contest (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest-133/)
-   -   Intentional Grounding team 14 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/2012-2013-bowhunting-contest/369993-intentional-grounding-team-14-a.html)

Mibowhunter91 10-01-2012 09:41 AM

I work for rieth riley not sure if you have heard of them or not they are really big in Indiana.
I can't say I have ever seen anything.like that on a deer has me puzzled

KSBOHUNTR 10-01-2012 09:47 AM

Tumors is what I thought at first. I ran it by a few guys that are hunting freaks and they didn't know either. They thought maybe the same thing but nobody knew for sure. I might send the picture off to a professional hunting company and see if anyone replys.

I work for a large shingle/roofing manufacturer is why I asked. We use a lot of asphalt. I can't say I have heard of that company.

KSBOHUNTR 10-01-2012 09:49 AM

As you can see from my Avatar, I can copy pictures and add wording but that's about the best I can do.

Mibowhunter91 10-01-2012 09:57 AM

I would be interested to find that out.
We mainly pave roads and highways up here I'm not sure if they get into the shingles on not

KSBOHUNTR 10-01-2012 12:02 PM

Sorry for the long post. Everything that I have been able to find and come across mentions Fibroma. I actually did a search on google and the first thing to pop up was some information from Huntingnet. The other information is from a biologist. I don't think I would let if spoil my hunt...I just simply wouldn't shoot that deer. haha

From Huntingnet: Skin Tumors
Hunters sometimes shoot a deer with lumps on the skin. These bumps are usually non-cancerous tumors called fibromas or papillomas. Viruses cause both. The only difference is that fibromas grow either from the skin or from the layer beneath, while papillomas grow only from the skin. Both lumps are dark-colored and hard to the touch. These growths generally do not cause problems for deer, but people are curious about them. Hunters may feel venison is inedible because of these tumors. Since lumps are usually found only in the skin, not in the muscles, there is generally no problem. But tumors located inside a deer's body might be cancerous and the venison should not be eaten.

Ask the Biologist
  • Last year I harvested a deer that had several hard black growths in and on its skin. What causes this?
What you saw is called a "fibroma" or "papilloma". It is a hairless external black or grey tumor that is caused by a virus transmitted into the skin of the deer when it is bitten by an insect, most commonly a deer fly. They are attached to the surface of the skin and are generally not a problem for the deer unless they become infected (rare) or become so numerous that they interfere with the deer's vision, locomotion or eating.
Fibromas are not contagious and cannot be transfered to humans or pets. While grotesque and unsightly, fibromas also do not affect the meat and should generally just be cut off at the surface of the skin and discarded before butching the deer. The attachment of the fibroma often recedes and I've seen them in late spring where they appear to be hanging by a stalk. Interestingly, the virus that causes cutaneous fibromas appear to be specfic to deer and are not observed in cattle, horses or other livestock.
Don't let it spoil your deer hunt !

Mibowhunter91 10-01-2012 12:14 PM

Thank you for that info like I said I've never seen them here but now I know

sanders3469 10-01-2012 03:47 PM

2 Attachment(s)
yea ive get a few pics of deer with those spots it seems to be all over since the winters were mild

SlowDraw 10-01-2012 05:34 PM

Thanks for looking into the tumors. I was pretty sure they were benign skin tumors, but couldn’t bring myself to overlook them, especially since she had the skin and fur covered thing hanging off her chin too. The tumors were the same as the ones in Sanders pictures, but two of them were bigger. I am not starving, so I’ll wait for a healthier looking specimen. Unfortunately, I have no more computer design savvy then the rest of you, as far as the avatar goes. I may get back out on Saturday. If not I have the day off Monday, so I give it a try then. Our early muzzleloader season starts the 18th. I wouldn’t mind at least getting a doe down before then.

Mibowhunter91 10-02-2012 02:45 AM

Went out after work last nite saw 6 2 does 2 fawns and 2 button bucks.

Talondale 10-02-2012 06:55 AM

If we could photoshop a bow in my hand this would be good, or find a similar photo of a bowhunter. I think I have some pics of just the deer from the same angle. We could use that with a photoshop clip of a ref signalling intentional grounding.

Mibowhunter91 10-02-2012 07:05 AM

That would be pretty kool!!

KSBOHUNTR 10-02-2012 12:55 PM

Bahaha..The ref and that deer would be great, nice idea there. I'll see what I can do with it. If anyone else has any expierence they can give it a go also.

KSBOHUNTR 10-02-2012 01:58 PM

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...r/Picture3.jpg

This is the best I got. My skills have been maxed out. This is all you get. haha

KSBOHUNTR 10-02-2012 02:00 PM

Crap. Forgot the team name. I can add that tomorrow.

Mibowhunter91 10-02-2012 05:42 PM

I like it!!!

KSBOHUNTR 10-03-2012 06:32 AM

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...Picture1-2.jpg
Something like this?

KSBOHUNTR 10-03-2012 06:35 AM

Nope, not going to work. To small on avatar.

KSBOHUNTR 10-03-2012 06:50 AM

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...r/Picture2.jpg
Just can't get the wording to show real good on the avatar yet.

Mibowhunter91 10-03-2012 07:10 AM

That is is awesome!!

KSBOHUNTR 10-03-2012 07:13 AM

http://i533.photobucket.com/albums/e...Picture5-1.jpg
Here is a different one. I thought the red was to blurry. I don't know.
I think I like this one a little better.

Talondale 10-03-2012 07:39 AM

I'm working on a different version.

Talondale 10-03-2012 11:30 AM

KSBOHUNTR 10-03-2012 12:18 PM

Nice, took it a different direction there.

Canuck_2 10-03-2012 05:52 PM

Looking good, Talondale. :) I like it.

I'll be away from the action here for the next 10 days or so; off to an archery competition in Utah. Good luck to all my teammates and I expect to see some venison intentionally grounded when I get back.

Talondale 10-04-2012 05:13 AM

Season starts in two days. A cool front is supposed to be moving through late Sat. Hopefully it will have them up and moving. Will take a doe for the meat if a chance arises.

BTW, We need MiBowhntr to edit the thread title to reflect the team name.

KSBOHUNTR 10-04-2012 05:41 AM

Talondal
Can you make the Team Name a little bigger so it shows better on avatar. I think this will work just fine. We have a team, a team name, team banner, now it's just time to get in the woods.

Mibowhunter91 10-04-2012 05:45 AM

I like the way you think!! Went out.last nite after work and saw 3 does... all my shooters disappeared except for one I got a pic of last week at 11 pm. He happened to be standing in line with the camera but about 40 yards away when another buck wanted his picture taken. I'm hoping for better luck this weekend

Talondale 10-04-2012 06:19 AM

Here's two more versions.

KSBOHUNTR 10-04-2012 09:41 AM

I like the top new version.

Talondale 10-04-2012 09:52 AM

Thanks. These are my first efforts at photo-shopping.

Mibowhunter91 10-04-2012 10:13 AM

Yep I agree that one is pretty great!! It has.my.vote

SlowDraw 10-04-2012 05:02 PM

I agree on the banner. Matt i thinnk it was mentioned above, but you are the only one that can change the title of our team thread to include our name, since you are the origional poster. I was planing to get out Saturday, but the wind direction is going to limit my choices, especially since it is giong to be a little warm (don't feel like hiking a mile plus caring a climber). I am off Monday and the weather forecast looks great (no Sunday hunting here in MD).

Mibowhunter91 10-04-2012 06:42 PM

wow ever since we picked a name i have been trying to change the title but could not figure it out on my phone. I am really hoping the cold front that is moving in this weekend up here will get some deer on their feet. The wind isnt perfect for the stand i really want to hunt but i have some others that i can make work! And the best news is I have ALL weekend off! Good luck this weekend everyone

sanders3469 10-04-2012 06:57 PM

can anyone help me to put the intentional grounding picture on my page so it shows up on my posts

Mibowhunter91 10-05-2012 02:58 AM

I save the picture then go to user control panel and click edit avatar

Mibowhunter91 10-05-2012 03:09 AM

Were still in 2nd place

KSBOHUNTR 10-05-2012 07:13 AM

I get to sit for the first time this weekend on Sunday Morning. Still to much activity with the kids on Sat. Today and this weekend High in Mid 50's but Sunday morning will be in the 30's with 7mph winds. Can't wait. Unfortunately I will only be looking for a nice buck on this property Sunday. He's out there, so we'll see what happens. Next weekend I'll get time to set up at a different property and anything goes. Good Luck to everyone over the weekend..Be Safe

Mibowhunter91 10-05-2012 08:49 AM

Hey good luck! Just got the word I get to work all day tomorrow.... don't they know a cold.front is moving in and I need to be in a tree?!! Haha

Mibowhunter91 10-06-2012 06:06 AM

Well i made it out last nite saw two younger bucks and a fat doe I should have shot. And for the record I.belive any1 who says peein in a mock scrape scares deer or you have to eat only what deer eat is wrong. Last nite I freshened up my mock scrape in front of my stand and 30 min later these two bucks come by checking it out. For the record all I ate yesterday day was venison jerky trail mix and a pop tart. I have a pretty kool video on my photo bucket I'll try to post it

http://s801.photobucket.com/albums/y...-03-24_113.mp4

KSBOHUNTR 10-08-2012 05:53 AM

That's cool right there. I'm going to start taking my camera with me every time now.
Thanks for sharing that.

My first sit Sunday morning went just like i was hoping. I only stayed till about 9:30 a.m. because I had an outdoor fall festival church thing to be at. So from Sun up to 9:30 I seen 10 deer total and a coyote. There was a nice buck with the first 4 but they never even got close. The 4 deer that were close was a spike and 3 does. I said on Friday I wasn't going to shoot a doe at this property, other wise I would have had some points probably. The coyote was at 15 yds and I was ready to release but he was headed right for a perfect opening and of course he stopped 2 steps shy. I should have let it go but I waited for a better shot that never came. Kicking myself over that one. I have only seen 2 coyotes while on stand in 12 years. So that was my first time out and the deer movement was really good and kept me on my toes.