Team 12 'The Bone Crushers'

Old 11-07-2011, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, my 5 day hunt turned into about a day and a half of hunting. Saw nothing the first day but the 2 coyotes that followed me to my tree Wed am. Thursday was hurricane weather until about 2:30pm. Did rattle in a little 6 and an 8 that I almost let one fly on. Friday am I rattled in one that came in to about 10 yds, but I couldn't see him thru a cedar tree. About 20 minutes later another 8 appeared and came right down in front of me at 30 yds. Put the pin behind his shoulder and let one fly and looked like a good hit. But as he was running away I could see too much of the arrow sticking out. After about 25yds I couldn't see the arrow any longer but watched him turn right and come to a walk until he was out of sight.

After about an hour I got down to see if I could find the arrow. After retracing a couple times I found it and a good spatter of bright red blood. To cut the story short, I spent the rest of the day tracking without finding him. To make it worse I had to come back home for family obligations so missed the last 2 days that I had planned.

I'm hoping my hunting partner that lives there contacts me with better news - he was going to continue the search.

Last edited by wallhangr; 11-08-2011 at 05:12 AM.
Old 11-08-2011, 01:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by wallhangr
Well, my 5 day hunt turned into about a day and a half of hunting. Saw nothing the first day but the 2 coyotes that followed me to my tree Wed am. Thursday was hurricane weather until about 2:30pm. Did rattle in a little 6 and an 8 that I almost let one fly on. Friday am I rattled in one that came in to about 10 yds, but I couldn't see him thru a cedar tree. About 20 minutes later another 8 appeared and came right down in front of me at 30 yds. Put the pin behind his shoulder and let one fly and looked like a good hit. But as he was running away I could see too much of the arrow sticking out. After about 25yds I couldn't see the arrow any longer but watched him turn right and come to a walk until he was out of sight.

After about an hour I got down to see if I could find the arrow. After retracing a couple times I found it and a good spatter of bright red blood. To cut the story short, I spent the rest of the day tracking without finding him. To make it worse I had to come back home for family obligations so missed the last 2 days that I had planned.

I'm hoping my hunting partner that lives there contacts me with better news - he was going to continue the search.
Tough break! Hopefully your partner finds the deer. As for me, back west for 2 days of deer hunting and 2 days of pheasant hunting! Saw a buck tailing a doe the other day so I know things are heating up. Hope to be in the middle of some deer movement. Last trip ended with no deer, but several sightings and quite a bit of information gathered for this trip. I plan to hang a stand and hunt whitetails instead of spotting mule deer. Maybe the game-plan change will work! Best of luck to all this weekend!
Old 11-17-2011, 06:59 PM
Spike

Got back from hunting and man was it excting! My dad, brother, and I saw him lay down in some CRP next to some corn. I was able to crawl to about 20 yards and come to my knees. I drew back and stood up, took two steps and out of nowhere 2 does that we hadn't seen who were bedding in a ditch took off. The buck got up and I let the arrow fly. He wheeled and the arrow sailed into the corn in-front of him! Other than that pretty slow. Got within 160 yards of a nice 8-pt dogging a doe hard. Just fun to watch. Spent the rest of the time hunting peasants. Been relaxing since I got home and working. Back to the woods this weekend to catch some rutting in Eastern KS.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well fellas, I've been hunting hard, but I've only gotten one doe with my bow. I have gotten two bucks, but both were on opening day of gun season - one in Missouri and one here in Tennessee. Both times I had my muzzleloader with me. I really wish I'd had my bow with me this past Saturday when this guy walked right under me and gave me a great shot at 20 yards. Oh well. It's not over yet.....
Attached Thumbnails Team 12    'The Bone Crushers'-untitled.jpg  
Old 11-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck LC ! - time to get back out with the bow for me as well. Saw alot of bucks during rifle season, but couldn't make myself pull the trigger on any of them after I caught a glimpse of a huge mainframe 12 opening morning. Heading out Wed & Thurs to see what I can do.