Community

GR8 VIII's Official Team Thread

Old 09-24-2011, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Good going Mottz - get her involved!

This afternoon was my first hunt of the season without seeing or hearing a deer - lots of turks around...

-fsh
Old 09-25-2011, 12:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Had a small 3x3 right under me this morning. But thats about all I seen. My sister seen quite a few does and got a couple good pics. She had a great time and I think is hoping to go out some more. So I was successful in turning someone into a "peaceful morning in the woods" person.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Super Moderator

Glad to see your havin a little action Mottz and I bet your sister had a heck of a time as well. It won't be too many sits and she'll be hooked like the rest of us.

I'm just a few days out from my first crack at it and can hardly sleep. I'll leave the house about 3 am this Sat to get there by daybreak, walk the half to 3/4 mile back to where i'm gonna sit and hopefully after a couple hours have a little action myself and maybe let the one fly (or at least avoid all the dang ticks) .

The turkeys like to hold up in the fall where I'll be at so who knows I might bring one home to smoke for early Thankgiving...
Old 09-26-2011, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

back from hunting all weekend. my cameras are all broken too. they only take pictures of does.

i did manage to get a doe on sunday morning. i'll post pictures tonight, just haven't taken them off the camera yet. i smoked her, she only went about 50 yards. it's the only deer my buddy and i saw all weekend. he actually spooked her to me. pretty pathetic though - i was checking the cameras all weekend trying to find that one doe that was constantly going to my salt licks. we narrowed down the two most likely stands and she showed up at both . can't believe we were focusing in on one doe. that's how bad it is at my land lately. going to let it sit until mid oct now.
Old 09-26-2011, 05:45 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by RackLuster
back from hunting all weekend. my cameras are all broken too. they only take pictures of does.
I'll trade you for one of them, I have a camera that just takes pics of fawns, lol. Congrats on the doe!

-fsh
Old 09-26-2011, 01:59 PM
Super Moderator

Thought yall would like to see this. Here is a mount of deer that was poached back in 2009 the night before our bow season began here in Oklahoma. When they raided the guys house they found like 103 differant sets of antlers and even though the guy had a lifetime license he had only check in 4 deer in his life time. If you would like to check the story out just google The BP Buck in Oklahoma.
Attached Thumbnails GR8 VIII's Official Team Thread-dsc00371.jpg  
Old 09-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

absolutely terrible picture. sorry about that. i wanted to hurry up and get her cooled off so i didn't bother cleaning her up. it's my buddy's bow.

Old 09-26-2011, 08:44 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats, Rack! she looks like she is still nursing or just recently having weaned.... there's some little ones to carry on the family name....maybe one will have some buttons on his head....
Old 09-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

Nice Job Rack! Way to smack one!!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:46 AM
Fork Horn

Below is what I wrote for a blog I contribute to on another site. It’s kind of long but it sums up my youth hunt weekend.

Rob - South Central Michigan

We’re back from the youth hunt in Isabella County. Although we came home without a deer we had a great time. Saturday morning I let my filming partner Dan film for my son Conner. I was going to sit with Conner’s friend but he couldn’t make it. So I decided to sit in a gun blind at the other end of the property. Dan and Conner didn’t see a deer opening morning but me? I had three bucks walk by at about fifteen yards! Two eight points and a ten point that had to be 18” wide! Needless to say Dan and I will be back up north soon.

Conner passed on a spike that afternoon. After telling him what I saw that morning and viewing some of the trail cam pictures he knew there were better bucks in the area.

I filmed for Conner Sunday morning and we had a great encounter with a doe. She came in from our left. Conner drew his bow as she went behind a small tree but before she stepped into the opening she turned to her right and stopped. After about ten or twenty seconds I told Conner to let up. Just then she took a step and it looked like he would have shot. She just needed two more steps. After another twenty seconds or so I told Conner to let up again but just like before she took another step and stopped. The doe was broadside at eight yards and we needed her to take about a half a step before he could get off a clean shot. I looked over at Conner and by now his bow was shaking pretty well. Just then the doe looked up at us and I knew it was over. I told Conner to let up and he finally did. His first words to me after this encounter were” I think I’m going to throw up!” I was really proud of him he could have shot through the leaves of that small tree but he waited for a clean shot. Yes he was disappointed but after a cool encounter like that I think he now knows why I love bow hunting so much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.