Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers >

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Old 05-30-2011, 07:05 PM
Fork Horn

Bird 1.

I have all the photos of measurements if needed.
Bird 2

Old 05-30-2011, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

Old 05-30-2011, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

The only pic I don't like is of the one spur. It measured longer than 1/16 because it slid up. We fought 30 mph winds to do these, so it was a bear. 1 person couldn't have done it alone. Now I saved everything in the fringe like the legs with spurs, and the whole area the beards were connected to if additional measurements are needed. I noticed in the 8 3/4 beard pic, we didn't take the largest strand. We measured the shorter of the two, but don't think it would matter much in the scoring.
Old 05-30-2011, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

On bird 1 I learned they were done breeding. In fact if you called they moved faster away. Dead tired and starving, they wanted nothing to do with Hens. I put sticks in the ground marking roughly 40 yards from my blind, so I have a rough idea on where to aim. As they are closer I use a finer beed. I knew this guy was out there being he was well past my 40 yard marker, and I estimated it at a 55 yard shot. My 1187 shoots 3 1/2 Hevis very well at 50, and my longest shot was 54 yards, so I aimed high and blasted, but he didn't drop. Hit, he went into panick mode running wide circles closing to 40 yards from me when he then took off flying. Then it was Pheasant hunting time, on him, follow, slight lead, and pull the trigger. Head/neck shot, bird dead when he hit the ground. Wondering why he didn't drop on first shot, paced off 65 yards not 55 on the shot. Didn't see the depression between him and my stick marker, making him look closer than he was.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Fork Horn

Bird 2 was a learning experience from day 1. I shot bird 1 at 3:57 after coming back from lunch. On the way to lunch at 1:30 hiking up from where I had set my blind, a good early season location, I busted a large Gobbler coming out of a tall wheat field. With gun on shoulder sling, I never had a chance for a shot. I had actually thought about moving my blind for the next day up to where the fields were, but decided I would leave it where it was for today. At 11:15 no action at all made me decide to take a slow stalk up the hill close to the cover moving very slowly, and really checking out ahead closely. When I got to the top by a large bunch of bulldozed trees, I slowly peeked around, and saw 2 redheads moving my way. Couldn't tell if they were Jakes or Toms because of tall grass, and I didn't want to get busted sticking my head out. Went into a kneeling shooting position, and waited. First bird popped into my sights, saw a beard, and at 20 yards knocked him head over heels. Never saw the 2nd beard till I turned him over. The second bird was also a very nice Tom, that would have been an easy 35 yard kill, because he just stood there looking at the bird I dropped way too long if I hadn't been tagged out.
These birds are normally on Private when they are breeding, but now they are in the fields on Public. I know because of all the Hens they had to breed, they've missed way too many meals. Both my Toms were way under their normal weight, and had no waddles. Totally flat. After cleaning my bird today I discovered why all those birds were up in those fields. The craw on my bird was absolutely jammed with those big Ciattas or whatever they are called. Big ugly bugs, but they sure like eating them. I'm defintely going to remember that for future hunting in late season.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

I see I forgot the weight.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Atta boy IAJay. Nice birds, the double beard is a dandy. Well, you got your 60 point bird. Congrats. I'm not sure what this does to the standings, but had to secure second place for us. Congrats again.
Old 05-31-2011, 05:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very Impressive Iowa!! Congrats on a Great season. Curious to see the score tally also.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys for the nice comments. My goal this year was to fill 4/6 tags, and figured if I did, I should get at least one high scorer. Accomplished all of that with 5/6 tags filled, and a 77 doublebeard. This is my best year ever, and I'm very pleased. I really pushed the envelope physically again this year, and it's definitely a challenge at my age. I'm at 182 pounds, and weighed 213 in Dec, so I'm going to try and keep it at that. Good weight for me to hunt at.
Old 05-31-2011, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Forgot to say that I really like that pic of you and the bird on the bench!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.