HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers
View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 08:00 PM
Iowa Jaybird
Fork Horn

Bird 2 was a learning experience from day 1. I shot bird 1 at 3:57 after coming back from lunch. On the way to lunch at 1:30 hiking up from where I had set my blind, a good early season location, I busted a large Gobbler coming out of a tall wheat field. With gun on shoulder sling, I never had a chance for a shot. I had actually thought about moving my blind for the next day up to where the fields were, but decided I would leave it where it was for today. At 11:15 no action at all made me decide to take a slow stalk up the hill close to the cover moving very slowly, and really checking out ahead closely. When I got to the top by a large bunch of bulldozed trees, I slowly peeked around, and saw 2 redheads moving my way. Couldn't tell if they were Jakes or Toms because of tall grass, and I didn't want to get busted sticking my head out. Went into a kneeling shooting position, and waited. First bird popped into my sights, saw a beard, and at 20 yards knocked him head over heels. Never saw the 2nd beard till I turned him over. The second bird was also a very nice Tom, that would have been an easy 35 yard kill, because he just stood there looking at the bird I dropped way too long if I hadn't been tagged out.
These birds are normally on Private when they are breeding, but now they are in the fields on Public. I know because of all the Hens they had to breed, they've missed way too many meals. Both my Toms were way under their normal weight, and had no waddles. Totally flat. After cleaning my bird today I discovered why all those birds were up in those fields. The craw on my bird was absolutely jammed with those big Ciattas or whatever they are called. Big ugly bugs, but they sure like eating them. I'm defintely going to remember that for future hunting in late season.