Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2010-2011 Turkey Contests
Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers >

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers

Old 04-24-2011, 02:16 PM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

I bought the B-Mobile when it came out, after watching gobblers spook from it I sold it on here and bought Jake Mobile. We have had super sucess with it. I made my own fan, a little bulky to carry but alot of fun to hunt with.

I can hunt again in the morning, don't know if I will though, it has rained alot her in SW MO. Heading to Nebraska later in the week to try to get DTC Jr a merriams. I know, I know, that won't help our score.lol I am not even buying a tag, this trip is all about him.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kdsberman
I question myself why I am so obsessed with such a frustrating hobby.
I'll tell ya why. Its because everyone says that a turkey has such a small brain and is stupid. So when a guy fails to get one he tries to figure out how he got outsmarted. At least thats what I think when I come home empty handed
Old 04-24-2011, 03:41 PM
j76
Typical Buck

Thats a bummer Kds!! Sucks when they are sooo close but not quite!! It sure can be a frustrating sport, but if yer anything like me you can get your butt handed to ya by them birds for a few days in a row, get ticked and be ready to give up, but then go a day or so without hunting and yer just itchin to get back out there and do it again!! Gluttens for punishment i guess!! Hope yer not sick of hearin it but i'm gonna say it again, stick with em!!! Sooner or later it's gotta go your way!

Good luck to JR DTC!!!

Well i'm off to go do some smelt dippen, see ya guys!
Old 04-24-2011, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

DTC. Where are ya headed in Nebraska to get the Merriams, I've been thinking of headed that way sooner or later for one myself. Also is there any good public land in Mizzou to get an eastern. The hatch here in Okie land has been terrible the last couple of years. I believe they have even stopped hunting in a couple of counties till the population gets back up. The rios are doing good in western part of the state though.

Good luck to DTC jr.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:34 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Well team, I am done in MO!! Killed this 24 1/2 lber with 11 1/2" and 4 1/2" beards, and 1 1/8" spurs. As you can see we were both wet, I don't know how much more rain we can take. We are pushing in on 10" in the last 4 days!!
Attached Thumbnails Team 10 - Those Flockin Gobblers-hartville.k12.mo-7-.jpg  
Old 04-25-2011, 06:38 AM
DTC
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by kellyguinn
DTC. Where are ya headed in Nebraska to get the Merriams, I've been thinking of headed that way sooner or later for one myself. Also is there any good public land in Mizzou to get an eastern. The hatch here in Okie land has been terrible the last couple of years. I believe they have even stopped hunting in a couple of counties till the population gets back up. The rios are doing good in western part of the state though.

Good luck to DTC jr.
Newport, NE, got a buddy that lives up there. I have been out there 2 times and we have killed 10 birds there. It is alot of fun to hunt there. Public land hunting it tough in MO, alot of pressure on them. Not to say that you couldn't find a good place to hunt them. Do you have rios where you are at. I might swap you a hunt. I've killed some rios in TX but always looking for a hunting trip.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice bird DTC! He will score well. Gotta love those multiple beard birds. Congrats!
Old 04-25-2011, 06:51 AM
DTC Jr

Originally Posted by DTC
Well team, I am done in MO!! Killed this 24 1/2 lber with 11 1/2" and 4 1/2" beards, and 1 1/8" spurs. As you can see we were both wet, I don't know how much more rain we can take. We are pushing in on 10" in the last 4 days!!
Dad, that was supossed to be my bird!! I told you to wake me up!!!

Old 04-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dad, that was supossed to be my bird!! I told you to wake me up!!!
LOL....you snooze you lose boy. Good luck on your Nebraska trip Jr. Hope you put the hammer on a big merriam.
Old 04-25-2011, 09:00 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by DTC
Newport, NE, got a buddy that lives up there. I have been out there 2 times and we have killed 10 birds there. It is alot of fun to hunt there. Public land hunting it tough in MO, alot of pressure on them. Not to say that you couldn't find a good place to hunt them. Do you have rios where you are at. I might swap you a hunt. I've killed some rios in TX but always looking for a hunting trip.

I would love to swap but I only hunt Public so if ya ever want to come this way I can point ya in the right direction even if ya don't want to swap. I hunt at Black Kettle grasslands, its in the far western part of the state. There is plenty of birds but it seems that you either need to be there opening week or during the late season. I am a novice at turkey hunting so I have yet to get one there but I have seen plenty. It is also excellent for deer hunting.

During deer season, fall turkey is going on as well but when deer rifle hits it is bow only for the turkeys. I took the wife to a spot this year for deer and there must have been 400 or so turkeys roosting in the woods by where we were sitting.

The area there is 30k + acres all spread out. Parcels are as large a a few thousand to as small as 40 acre and as diverse as heavily wooded to open grass land that looks more like Wyoming. Let me know if ya want any more info on the area I am more than happy to tell ya what I know. If I get out that way on Friday I'll put up a few pics of the area for ya if ya want. Good luck on the merriam. Kelly

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.