Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 6 Thread

Old 09-09-2010, 05:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome to the team! Glad to have you aboard.
Old 09-10-2010, 05:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys! One more stand going up tomorrow or Sunday, depending on the rain in the forecast. I've got high hopes for this year. This is the 3rd year on my lease, and I have yet to take a buck off it. I've seen some good ones, passed on countless small ones, just need to them to behave the same way with another year's growth on their heads. The first weekend I'll be back home in the UP to hunt with my brother, both deer and grouse, which is always fun. I'll bowhunt up there a little, likely a doe mission, or just bear watching, which is what early season has become in the last couple of years.
Old 09-10-2010, 06:47 AM
Fork Horn

Welcome to the Team Mike! I had a lease in IL for 5 years. That was before the they raised the out of state license fees. Sure do miss that place. It was just south of Navoo or across the river from Keokuk, IA. Definitely big deer in IL.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear ya on the non-res fees. My bro is coming down, and wow, $455 for the combo tags. That's high.
Old 09-11-2010, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Guess what is one week from today!! Opening day of Iowa youth! Oh man I can't wait. Considering I dont have any arrows yet ill more than likely be taking my muzzleloader or a 12 ga. But its just youth season, Ill have months of bow hunting to get a big one for our team!
Old 09-11-2010, 07:20 PM
Fork Horn

Yup, one week here as well. I took the whole week off so I can get out and see if
I can't get a buck early. I cant wait.
Old 09-12-2010, 01:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hung my last set today, interesting spot. Big drop off behind me so it feels like I'm WAYYY up there, but on the uphill side, it's just a normal height, maybe 17' or so. Loads of acorns/oaks all around it, including the tree the stand is in, so that may pay off in the early season. Now the wait begins, October 1 for MI and IL. I ordered some stuff from Cabelas yesterday, so at least I have that to look forward to in the short term. I bought a Dead Fowl goose dummy for my lab, just hope he can get it in his mouth!
Old 09-12-2010, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by YooperMike
Hung my last set today, interesting spot. Big drop off behind me so it feels like I'm WAYYY up there, but on the uphill side, it's just a normal height, maybe 17' or so. Loads of acorns/oaks all around it, including the tree the stand is in, so that may pay off in the early season. Now the wait begins, October 1 for MI and IL. I ordered some stuff from Cabelas yesterday, so at least I have that to look forward to in the short term. I bought a Dead Fowl goose dummy for my lab, just hope he can get it in his mouth!
I put up a treestand a few weekends ago that is on the downside of a hill so its waaaayyy up there! I showed me brother and a friend of ours the treestand and there first words were.. "hooollly S**t". Im thinking 25 feet maybe? Im not good at judging how tall a treestand is in the air. All I know is that it was a pain in the buttox to put in but it sure paid off! I love that stand so much.

I bought my youth tag and a any sex bow tag saturday. Later on when I get a little more money ill buy one or two more bow doe tags and then my shotgun any sex.
Today we went out to the pond and cabin too put up a few more stands and find blind locations. I set up my two trail cameras so ill have some pictures come next weekend.
Old 09-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mine are all in place & 3 reserves in the garage for IF I GOTTA move during season. I qualified for a "special" antlerless season that opens in 3 days & just checked that stand area today-looks good. Just using my recurve on this hunt.

I received confirmation that National Bowhunter Magazine will be publishing the article I submitted on my DIY Antelope Bowhunt this past Aug.. That puts a grin on my face...

Good Luck fellas...
Old 09-14-2010, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Counting Down! 11 more days until Ohio's Archery season.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.