Community
2010 - 2011 Bowhunting Contest HNI's annual archery deer hunting contest. Will the Bone Mafia win it again??

Team 6 Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Fork Horn

16 days until I get to head out for a few days. I am going out this weekend to do a little scouting.
Old 09-14-2010, 09:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Same here, 16 days! Going to pull my camera card on Friday and see what's lurking. Last year in the early going I got lots of coons and turkeys, so hopefullly that pattern has changed.
Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

4 days from now ill be in the woods... more than likely in my dark horse blind because its suppose to rain all weekend. Which is fine. I know exactly where to go and when to be there. Ill probably sit all day if its raining and wait for that rain to stop. The deer will be out like crazy. Finally ordered some arrows today. Our archery guy said he should have them done on saturday so saturday morning ill be taking my dad's 12 gauge out and then during the day we are gonna run to his place and pick them up and get my bow raised to 65 lbs.
Old 09-15-2010, 05:06 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Pope94/IA, Just a little word of advise. If you hunt out of treestand, you may want to try pulling your bow back at a 30 - 45 degree angle down before raising your bow's draw weight to 65 pounds. It should be a smooth motion draw, as if you were drawing back on a big buck right under your stand. Another thing to try is to put on all the clothes you would be wearing if it were 10 degrees outside. If you don't have any problems doing either one, then you should be ok to raise it to 65 pounds. Just make sure you try it once you raise it. The last thing you want to do is get busted on a buck of a lifetime drawing your bow back when you have to raise it up, just to draw it. Just my 2 cents.
I can't wait to see how you make out this weekend. Good Luck!
Old 09-15-2010, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good advice by dmax, 65 in the bow shop when you don't want to look like a wuss in front of a bunch of guys, is one thing, but doing it in the tree is a whole 'nother deal! The clothing is a good point too. Best of luck this weekend! Can you shoot either sex?
Old 09-15-2010, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes I have thought about that. Im still a kid and my strength is getting much greater and 60 pounds has become feather weight for me. I know the clothes and being 0 degrees outside will really make a differance. Ill have my archery guy raise the bow and ill sit down on the ground and try and shoot and if I can't pull it back then ill know I can't do it sitting down in a tree stand or with all my clothes on.

YopperMike, I can indeed take any sex. If I dont tag a deer during youth season than my tag is good for one gun season of my choice. It was a new law passed a few years ago. So if I dont get a shooter in range than I wont be releasing any arrows this youth season. Ill end up using it for first season shotgun.
Old 09-16-2010, 04:59 AM
Fork Horn

Hey Pope94, I never thought about setting on the ground and drawing.
I've had two shoulder surgeries and I didn't want to give in that I couldn't pull back 65 pounds anymore. It cost me last year when a 12 point caught me struggling to draw because I got to the peak and couldn't finish drawing. I was sitting in my stand and drawing back on about a 20 degree angle. It was probably for the best because he was a 2-1/2 year old 12 point that I had passed on earlier in the season. I sure hope he made through so I can have redemption this year. I have since bought a a new bow that is much faster so I can take the draw weight down. I'm now shooting a Mathews Monster at 52 pounds. With that being said because this bow is 353 fps IBO and my Q2 was 320 fps IBO, I'm shooting faster and with more kinetic energy with a lot more comfortable weight.
Good luck this weekend!

Last edited by dmax4me; 09-16-2010 at 05:04 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 06:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Pope, good idea with sitting on the floor. We used to do that alot at the bow shop just for fun, but it makes a world of difference in what the draw weight feels like. Good luck on your hunt this weekend, hopefully you can tag something, buck or doe. Gotta say, i'm hoping the buck tag gets filled with archery tackle! I'm a rather large mammal, but because of shoulder problems, i'm down to 64 pounds, and I'm passively shopping for a new bow with a less aggressive draw. Draw weight can sometimes become a weiner measuring device, but no need! Especially with todays bows that can deliver great speeds at low poundage.
Old 09-16-2010, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys hopefully I can tag a buck this weekend. But if not... I have 3 more weekends for youth I think?

Our archery guy works in his archery shop on the side of his real part time job and he works with my uncle so my dad asked my uncle if he could get the arrows from our archery guy so I would have them by saturday morning so I can start archery hunting right away. So that means I won't be able to get up to his shop to raise the bow poundage. Which really is no big deal. I might go up there sometime next week or if not Ill just wait until turkey season comes around.

When im at home shooting I like to try differant things and I tried shooting sitting down and its a challenge. Not only is it hard to pull back but your shoulders are turned and your posture is way off so its harder to hold still. I actually have had to come at full draw on a couple deer and a turkey. I was army crawling through some tall weeds towards a big tom and I had to turn around and lay on my back and I pulled back as I went to sit up. That was tough!!! The turkey caught me when I was just about at full draw and right when I was ready to pull the release trigger, he took off.
Old 09-17-2010, 06:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Checked my camera today, only a couple short doe vids and some coon pictures. I moved it a short distance to get a better shot down the trails instead of perpendicular to them, so hopefully that increases the picture quantity for next weekend.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.