Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Lights Out Thread (36) >

Official Team Lights Out Thread (36)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Lights Out Thread (36)

Old 11-16-2009, 02:42 PM
Fork Horn

Well guys I had a very bad weekend. Here is the story, went out this past saturday, in stand by 0600. At about 0650 I had a doe come in and browse around for 2 to 3 minutes then walk off. About a minute later I look to my left and here comes a shooter. He walks to within 10 yards of my stand then catches wind of were the doe was standing and starts trotting that way.

Since I knew he was going to follow the doe path I drew my bow and as he hit an opening I gave him the "whaaaa". He stopped dead in his tracks, I put the 20 yard pin on him and released. This darn deer did the duck and turn away move on me. I could have sworn I seen the arrow hit him perfect left to right and about midway up the body.

He turned and ran about 60 yards, stopped lowered his head stood there for about 10 seconds then walked another 10 to 15 yards and stopped again for another 10 seconds or so. Then he walked into some thick cover and I lost sight of him. As soon as he walked into the thick cover here comes a small six point down the exact same path. He went to the same area I had been no more than 30 to 45 seconds after I shot my buck, he stops exactly at the same spot as the first buck. Right then I hear in the distance the sound of what I thought was my buck crashing.

Well Mr. six point hears it too and goes over that way through the thicket to investigate, next thing I know I see going through the thicket up the hill is a deer trotting. I waited 2 hours, climbed down out of the stand, creeped over and checked my arrow(19 yard shot). blood red from top to bottom. I back out to my truck for 1.5 hours then a light drizzle starts so I decide to go track the deer. Great blood for 75 yards until he crossed a creek then nothing. I found the spot were he bedded/crashed 15 yards on the other side of the creek but no deer.

My wife and my three teenage boys attempted to find this deer for almost 2 full days. With a 4 hour wait from shot until track taken up, I believe it was enough time.

My Theory: The buck dodged the arrow to the point that the inpact was in the void area with no vitals. When the small six point started through the thicket he startled/jumped my buck and he ran. Right now I am sick to my stomach. I am very appreciative that my wife and three sons spent 2 days looking for the deer.

I am dismayed that I called 3 friends and none showed to help, that really bothers me considering I have always helped them. One friend I could understand, he had a serious remodeling project going on and could not get away. The other 2, well lets say next time they need something from me it will be on my terms. Now for my estimate of deer size. I guestimated him at 135 to 140, big old buck. Anyways, sorry to let you guys down. All I can do is get back in the stand and keep trying.

Dave

Last edited by SouthernMDArcherer; 11-16-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 11-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

hey Dave what a tough story. Really to bad about your friends and them not helping out. As far as that deer goes it sounds as though he is dead somewhere around there. My buddy shot one last tue. and just called me today to say that he had found it thanks to the buzzards. Of course it wasn't any good but he did get the horns and now knows that the buck isn't suffering. By the way he was about 450 yds. from where he shot it. Don't get down and keep up your spirits. Jerry
Old 11-18-2009, 04:05 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks Jerry, to be honest I did not think it would affect me this bad after bowhunting for 34 years. Right now as I type this, I have no desire to even get out and try hunting. I feel as if I let myself, you guys and my family down. I also feel that I let a fine animal go to waste.

Dave
Old 11-18-2009, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Well gun season has come so I won't be back out in the woods with the bow for a few weeks. The last couple weeks of the regular season went fairly well. Saw a lot of deer movement which made for some exciting sits. Had a couple oppourtunities to take younger bucks but am not allowed to on my property. Only saw one shooter (a nice 10) but the doe he was chasing went the opposite way so I didn't get a crack at him.

To be honest I'm a bit worn out from this season. I think I'll gun hunt sparingly these next few days and try to re-coup in hopes of getting back out there for a few more weeks with the bow. I really want to help the team out but with our antler restrictions and the difficultly of late season hunts around here that might be tough. I'm not gonna give up though cause I know once the season is done I'll want to be out there again, so might as well live it up while I can! Good luck to you guys still out there and congrats to everyone on a great season no matter what the results may show!
Old 11-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Fork Horn

Hey guys...great to see us back on top. I'm having a horrible time seeing deer this season. I'll be back out in the morning.
Old 11-20-2009, 01:36 AM
Fork Horn

Hey fellows thought I would check in and see how we are doing. Team 24 had a good week but we are only 178 out of first. someone needs to kill a really big one or lets just get a couple of good ones. Any way good luck to you all and have fun. Jerry
Old 11-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Fork Horn

Shot my bow today trying to get me out of my depressed slump. Going to hit the woods in the morning and see what happens. Goodluck to those still hunting.

Dave
Old 11-22-2009, 06:46 AM
Fork Horn

Hit the woods Saturday morning. All I saw was a big dirty white dog running all over. That busted the morning hunt out. Went for an evening hunt to a friends land. Did not see anything there either. Guess I will try again this week if I get some time off work.

Dave
Old 11-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Fork Horn

hey Dave, glad to see you are still at it after that tough hunt you had. good luck to everyone else. Jerry
Old 11-26-2009, 05:49 AM
Fork Horn

Wishing everyone on Team 36 a great day of Thanksgiving. Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.