Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team X Factor Thread (10) >

Official Team X Factor Thread (10)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team X Factor Thread (10)

Old 10-23-2009, 11:01 AM
Fork Horn

Hey guys sounds like the action is picking up for all of you still pretty slow around here I hope it picks up soon. I have been out a few times and I am not seeing anything but small deer. I had a button buck and his twin sister lay down in front of me last night at 20 yards for about 45 minutes it was nice to have something to watch for awhile. I will be out hunting this weekend trying to put a big one down.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

William
Old 10-23-2009, 03:12 PM
Typical Buck

I am heading out tomorrow as well. We have terrantial rains coming and going to rain all day, but it is the only day I can hunt all week so I will go out anyway. The tree umbrella will be the lifesaver.
Old 10-23-2009, 04:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I went this evening, against my better judgement. It was raining...light but steady. Got in the stand at 3:45 and it let up for about 15mins (I was temporarily excited), then proceeded to ramp up to a steady moderate rain and never let up. I stayed until dark like an idiot - got soaked very quick, and didn't see squat. I really don't like to hunt in the rain, but figured I'd give it a shot - can't kill em on the couch. I was hoping it would let up and they might start to move afterwards. Oh well.

Question: what do you guys do if it rains? Do you go anyhow...do you call it off? Do you only go if its light rain? etc. etc. If you do go, have you had much luck? Has it ever cost you?
I've always been of the mindset that bowhunting in the rain ups the risk, so I don't do it very often. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've gone out when it was steady raining pretty good like today. Light rain, sprinkles to light drizzle, I've seen decent movement. Rain like tonight, nada.

Gun hunting, yes...I have no problem there and have a few stands that have roofs on them so its actually nice to sit in during the rain - though I don't gun hunt near as much these days. Curious to your thoughts on the rain and bowhunting.

Good luck this weekend to those of you who are hunting, we've got the rain set in now it appears, not sure if it will let up enough to get out tomorrow or not. I ain't sitting in it again like it was this evening, thats for sure.

Mike
Old 10-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Typical Buck

I could have taken out a doe who had triplets with her yesterday afternoon, but held off for a perfect shot opportunity that never presented. Ed - A few new bucks are starting to show up on the farm, always a good sign of increased rut activity; here is the latest in my corn patch:

Mike
I will hunt in the rain or in the wind, but not in the rain and wind. I have an portable umbrella to keep the drips off my neck, lol (10-4 dmen!). If the rain is "heavy", then I call it quits. I have shot a few deer in light rain and never lost any - but I am very, very conservative on taking nothing but 100% shots (ie under 15 yds). I have helped others track deer shot under rainy conditions, and have had generally poor success. I took my doxie on training blood trails this summer that were rained upon - the nominal rain had no affect on her tracking ability. I am now hunting more in the rain this year.

-fsh
Old 10-23-2009, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Woah Andy!!! I'll be down soon, just gotta find the right day.

I'll be out in the morning, but I'm not sure if I'll have the bow or smokepole... Maybe both
Old 10-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Andy...that a a stud of a buck! WOW! Man what I would give to even SEE one like that. Good luck on getting on him.

I have a tree umbrella too, but didn't bring it today - didn't think it would ramp up like it did. They were calling for it to be light rain only, go figure. I agree, that is money well spent. Good luck guys...I'm hoping this rain will taper off by tomorrow afternoon.

Mike
Old 10-24-2009, 07:19 AM
Typical Buck

Mike - did you get out in the rain?

I didn't hunt this morning - last night, I got a call from a friend who gut-shot a doe and he wanted to know if Ruby was available. I said she was still in a "training mode", but that I would meet him and help look. Well, we found and marked sparse blood/fluid trail (about 20 yds worth), when another guy cut ahead to a thicket and spotted the dead doe. We left her be, and I went home, got Ruby, and started anew. Ruby hit the ~ 125yd trail and took about 2 minutes to get onto the doe - she did great. Sorry, no pics.

BTW, it was another data point for leaving a deer for >6 hrs if you ever suspect a gut-shot. Too many times, guys will jump the bedded deer, never to see it again.

-fsh
Old 10-24-2009, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great news about the doe Andy, glad to see ruby worked well...

I made it out this AM just light rain, didnt see any, didnt stay real long either, it was unseasonally warm. I hunted the a different farm then where the 10 pt has been. Not sure if I'm going back out, its pouring, and the radar looks like its going to get worse..

But I checked my cam when I got home at lunch, check this new deer out, I hunted him hard last year and he's huge, this is the first time he's showed up this year. I heard a guy on the farm down the road from us shot this deer about 3-4 weeks ago. If you look on his back you can see the arrow wound. It looks like a clean pass threw and the wound on the otherside looks worse (you can see red flesh wound). I don't know how the hunter didnt kill this deer. Other than that he looks healthy. I guess that was "no-mans land" shot you always here about. I just dont know if the deer will make it through rut/winter????
Attached Thumbnails Official Team X Factor Thread (10)-omg.jpg  
Old 10-24-2009, 10:21 AM
Typical Buck

Ed
That is a hammer for sure!

There is a lot of meat above the spine in that part of the back, I'm confident that the shot was just a loin hit. See the anatomy guides in Rob's first post: http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowh...fter-shot.html

The biologists say that a buck's biology is especially geared to survive puncture wounds from fights this time of year, so an arrow wound in the loin is not going to be a challenge. I have similar pics of a doe on a trail cam, a few weeks after a friend hit her in the loin. She fed normally and you could see that the wound was healing.

Good luck with that hammer!

-fsh
Old 10-24-2009, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys....didn't get out this morning, was raining and had some stuff to do. It appears to have stopped now, so I'm gonna try and slip out this afternoon for the last couple hours. Its really HOT right now....disgustingly hot and humid.

Ed....great buck! I hope he slides by you...and I agree, that shot is def in the loins. What gets me...I've seen em shot a few inches lower than that and live, which I have no clue how it happens. Buddy of mine killed one with a gun one year that had a wound channel below the spine with "x" (broadhead scars) on both sides. Don't ask me. I believe at times they can live from a no-mans land shot - but probably the majority who think they've hit below the spine, have actually loin shot em. They will almost always live from that hit.

fsh....good job with your dog. I'm regretting not getting mine trained this summer, but will definitely do it with her. I might give you a ring and pick your brain one day on it...sounds like you did a great job with yours. Speaking of my dog...she just not started barking, I look out - my resident big doe and two buttons are in the front yard. I yelled at her to be quiet....and my wife just said "why do you even waste your time going out into the woods....just shoot one of them". LOL - it just aint the same. I could set up on my front porch and be guaranteed a shot at some point, they come every day (and so do some others).

Good luck guys, lets put something down. Just checked...74 here right now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.