Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest
Official Team Surpass Thread (37) >

Official Team Surpass Thread (37)

Community
2009-2010 Bowhunting Contest This is it. Will the Dark Horses be over thrown? Good Luck to all This Season.

Official Team Surpass Thread (37)

Old 11-10-2009, 08:20 PM
Typical Buck

Team, got a few bucks startin to show up at the moment, ill keep ya'll posted.. Hope all is well and everyone is safe
Old 11-11-2009, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I spent this past weekend in Kentucky doing a hunting fellowship with several good friends. We all traveled to the blue grass state from various parts of the United States. The five of us were hosted near Bardstown by Eddie Goode and Anthony Faulkner- both deer hunters extraordinaire!

Day one was slow –nothing compared to the first day I experienced three years ago. Apparently, a bad case of “blue tongue” or ‘EHD’ ripped through this region of Kentucky and kill a large portion of the deer herd. I had a doe with her twin fawns up first thing. Later, another doe meandered through…

Day two was a little better. I saw three bucks-one was a good shooter. Nothing came in close enough for a shot. I took my frustrations out on tree rats.

Day three…Wow, one of the best days I ever had hunting! I saw seven bucks and one does through the course of the morning (sadly, I was forced to come down- I had an afternoon plane to catch). I used my traditional longbow to proudly miss two of the seven bucks-one from 22 yards and another from 20. Both were slam dunks with the compound. Yeah, I missed but, boy, I had fun! That’s what it’s all about!

Ok, now for some of my photos and videos

Here's a quick video of a shot I took on a tree rat from 22 yards:

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/k...t=M2U00626.flv

And here's the first deer I missed from 22 yards. He pivoted to the right and I missed him cleanly:

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk73/iamyourhuckleberry/?action=view&current=M2U00631-1.flv

Last video...the second buck I missed from 20 yards. I'm not sure why or how I missed!

http://s277.photobucket.com/albums/kk73/iamyourhuckleberry/?action=view&current=M2U00632.flv

A doe and her fawn. I waited for a better angle and it never came

Roosting in the tree behind me Sunday morning

Good friend and host Antony Faulkner bring it in for lunch Saturday afternoon

Monday's early light

a tree ghost

and a ground dweller

Last edited by iamyourhuckleberry; 11-12-2009 at 04:19 AM.
Old 11-11-2009, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

Red face

Huck

Sounds like a great trip Huck, gotta love it with all the leaves on the ground, makes for a good warning alarm for when an animal approaches . For guys like me I need that little advantage because my eyes are getting worse as my age keeps going up for some reason . The leaves on the ground I find also helps hide the deer with the camo working in there favor. Freindship and fellowship always make the trip when away from home Huck.Glad you enjoyed yourself. Maybe we can work on a trip up here in the next few years Will . I'm kicking myself in the butt for not getting up this am to hunt as it's remembrence day and a civic holiday. I'll be back n the saddle this afternoon. Will , thanks for the great pic's.
Rocky
Old 11-11-2009, 01:09 PM
Fork Horn

Glad you had a great time in KY Huck. Things have slowed down here a bit with the temps warming up, but there are still plenty of deer to be seen. The crop Harvest is going gangbusters now, so deer are being moved all over the place. I will be in a tree in the morning as temps will hit the mid thirties. I will be leaving for my place in IL in Friday for a little over a week. I will hunt every day, regardless of the weather while there. Stopped by to check cams on Monday and was less than pleased to discover my newest was stolen. Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper. Hope you all have some great times in the woods. See you in a week or so.
Old 11-11-2009, 07:25 PM
Typical Buck

Lightbulb

Shawnslinger
Knock em dead Shawn while in Illanois Shoot straight and be safe. The rut up here is still not taken off. The rubs are starting to show up as are the scrapes. I was out tonight and had 3 does with in range but decided to let them walk as I heard grunting behind them. He failed to show himself as light ran out on me. Not seeing bucks as of yet following does ,but they will shortly. Be back in the saddle on Saturday & Sunday. Hopefully the rut will start to kick in by then. Be safe hunting team and God Bless.
Rocky
Old 11-12-2009, 03:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stay after it everyone! I think this weekend will be a critical time to be in the woods! I have this feeling the rut will be really kicking in. We need to be there when it happens!

I will be hunting Colorado this weekend-in my stand along the North Platt River. Although my chances are slim to nil, I'm going. I may not see a deer (seeing a deer in this region of Colorado is like seeing a zebra in Alaska) but if a yote walks by, he's getting the shaft!

Be safe and do not forget to say your prayers!
Old 11-16-2009, 12:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I scored finally! Not quite the buck that I wanted, but here he is. I will try to figure out how to score this guy and write up the story when I get a little more time!

Official Team Surpass Thread (37)-rsz_img_0316.jpg
Old 11-16-2009, 03:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

My season opened Saturday and I went out for most of the day and didn't see a single buck. I saw 15 does though, so I thought maybe the bucks wern't in the rut yet, so I headed out to a diffrent stand Sunday morning before light and sat for about 25 minutes and then it started getting light out. 30 minutes went by and I didn't see anything but a squirrel, then I could hear somthing walking up behind me... A forked horn buck with his neck all puffed up comming into the doe urine I put out. I'm not a trophy hunter especially cause I have never got a deer with my bow before, so I got ready for a shot... Well... He kept on walking and wouldn't stop, so finally I made a grunt sound and he stopped so I put the pin on him and pulled the trigger to my realease... The buck ducked the arrow at 25 yards! and he took off running... I got another arrow ready just incase and about 45 seconds later from the other direction, another forked horn buck was headed my way, so I got ready for another shot... he came right up to the doe urine and stopped at 20 yards broadside. I had been drawin back on him for about 30 seconds already, so I was starting to get a little shakey. I put the pin on him and shot! It looked like a good shot! I waited for about 30 minutes and then started tracking him. I got on his trail and followed it for about 60 yards and then there was just no blood at all... I started doing big circles but had no luck... after an hour of looking I called my brother and had him bring our labrador retriever over... He got right on the trail and about where I lost the blood the dog started heading right for the creek. We followed him all the way down to the edge of the water and then he put his head high in the air and was looking out in the creek and smelling like there was somthing out there. We both were looking and then we saw a forked antler and a ear sticking out of the water so we got the deer! My first buck with a bow!

Old 11-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Thumbs up

Kill n Grill It

Awesome buck bud,he looks to be about 115 for a score and a great looking buck at that. Congrats to you. I was out all day Sunday and at 4pm noticed my sight was bent from falling over a log on my way into the stand in the morning. I'll be at the lanes fixing that before I hunt all day Thursday,Friday,Saturday & Sunday. Hopefully I can connect this weekend. The bucks are still not chasing the does yet as I saw 3 bucks in the morning just walking around not grunting and with out does. I had a 150 buck at 9 yards but he came in on my blind side and never did present me a shot. Had a bull moose and a cow and a calf come by at 8 yards before 8am though.Good luck to those still needing to connect ,it'll happen if your in your stands.
Rocky
Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Typical Buck

Talking

Hoghunting
Hats of to you young fella, your having a blast aren't you. I can see it in your eye's. Is that a Sitka buck? I missed you guys for the last few days as the site was down huh! Again Hoghunting!!! Congrats to you too, you look like your having fun and if it's not then we shouldn't be doing it,right ? You guys are da bomb!!!! Lets keep it going 3 for 10 ,7 to go
Rocky

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.