Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46) >

Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Community

Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Old 09-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

ORIGINAL: 2Poppa

Sorry to hear about your mishap Steve ... I'm praying fpr a speedy recovery!

Just got back lastnight from several days of huntin'. With this cooler front movin' through I wish I would've stayed one more day.
I've been pursuing a couple of huge bucks the last three years and decided to hike back several miles into the deep woods.

At 6:30 the evening of the first day, I saw three does making there way over a ridge and decided to draw back on the last one. Just as I drew back, the first doe snorted and all three bolted over the top of the ridge with two coyote's in tow.

As a rule of thumb, I normally back-track the opposite way I see deer coming from. In this instance, I did the same thing, and was rewarded. The does had come around a gnarley knuckle that jutted off of a three-way ridge intersection.After rounding this knuckle, I came to the intersection and found another gnarley knuckle (small point) that had cedars and thickets directly opposite the one the does had come from.

The wind was in my favor as I waited for night fall. Then suddenly,(I love those,"Then suddenly's"), I saw something that was unusually dark brown moving along the ground,through the woodsless than fifty yards away, below me on what I thought was a deer trail.

My heart was pounding as I waited to pull the string back. Just as I thought everything was coming together, the huge brown object was actually the huge bucks velvet rack. He raised it up to look down the trail. All I could think was, "it looked like four basketballs on his head.

It was massive, I've never seen a Monster buck like this in velvet ... on TV or in a magazine!Another ten yards and he would walk into a shootin' window I had picked out.
The deal would'nt be sealed this evening. The two coyote's I mentioned previously were on his trail and he wheeled around and escaped from all the predators running down into the hollow ... Man?

Sunday and Monday were uneventful, even though I did place a trail-cam next to a watering hole. Can't wait to see what it picks up!
JEEZ!!! Talk about your encounters. That's what it is all about. Good luck on him on the next encounter.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:15 PM
Dominant Buck

that was awesome man..good story.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:29 PM

Wanted to update you guys. I might go MIA for a while (few weeks at the most). Tomorrow I go in for surgery and I won't be around till Sunday evening, but I start the new job next week and I'll be commuting for about ten days before my new place is ready. When I finally get down there it might take me awhile before I have Internet access. Right now I have a non networked laptop at my office, which I will not have that luxury at the new job. First day is October 4th for me. I'll be sure to get an update out here if I don't have Internet at the new place.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Typical Buck

Good luck with your surgery Steve. I pray foryour speedy recovery. Good luck with the new job. Keep us posted when you can.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:44 PM
Fork Horn

Kreagerm, I guess your hunting season begins this Monday ... do you have those big bucks figured out?

Take some pictures of your huntin' area, if you can, it would be interesting to look at different parts of the country and how they compare.
Anyway ... good luck this Monday!
Old 09-11-2008, 08:03 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: 2Poppa

[align=center]Kreagerm, I guess your hunting season begins this Monday ... do you have those big bucks figured out?

Take some pictures of your huntin' area, if you can, it would be interesting to look at different parts of the country and how they compare.
Anyway ... good luck this Monday![/align]
Yup Monday's the big day. I'll def. get some pics for ya.Mon. morning I'm hunting a popular tree forest and in the evening I have an oak forest lined up. I never hunted these sections before, so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. I promised my Uncle I would take him out on opening day, or I'd be hunting a different area [8D]. Tue and Wed. morning's is when it should get real good. Hunting a bedding area that is in between a corn field and an old cherry orchard. They also graze in the oaks where their beds are. So I'll be waiting for them to come home after a full night of feeding. I hope I can get us on the board, I'm sure there is going to be a lot of action starting this sat.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:31 PM

I'll be out there Mon-Thursday as well, and maybe longer depending on activity in the area.

I'll try and snap some pics as well. I just got word we have 4 additional standsto put play with. I have a lease with a buddy, that will give us 7 stands locations...3 good ones have been up for a month or so.

Wanted these others up earlier, but just didn't work out that way.

Anyway...good luck to everyone hunting this weekend!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:16 PM
Typical Buck

Good Luck Sean. Hopefully we can get on the board.
Old 09-13-2008, 06:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck to any one going out this weekend!
Old 09-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Typical Buck

Hi all I see I was chosen for an Alt hope I'm in time just got back from Co. elk hunting hope I'm not to late let me know.

Shane

Quick Reply: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.