Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46) >

Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Community

Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Old 09-07-2008, 06:00 PM

Default RE: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Wish I could say I was better. Moving in about 2 weeks and I was down getting the new place ready. 20 hours in two days was a bit much. I have my foot stuck in a cooler full of ice water right now. You can't imagine how hard it is to keep it in there. I think the shoulder will be ok for the season. I can't lift it above my head or take it behind my back, but I can hold it straight out with a little pain. Hopefully a little rest will make a draw on my bow pain free!
Old 09-07-2008, 06:09 PM

Don't let this wimp fool ya. He could have that darn leg cut off and he would be in the stand opening morning. Why? Cause I will make him. You guys don't know how lucky you got this year. This punk is a buck magnet. Hell, even when he was unarmed in a tree with me two years ago, his "buck magnicity" brought in two good bucks. Don't get me worng, I missed the first one and almost shoke us out of the stand, but it came.
Steve's a great guy who is very passionate about anything that he decides to get into. Right now, and hopefully for a long time, it's bow hunting.
I will get his new bow, that I made him buy, hooked up and have him splitting arrows with it in no time. That said, BackStrap Brigade RULES and the Silent Stalkers DROOL!!!!!! [8D]
Don't let him fool you. I've had beginner's luck.
Old 09-07-2008, 06:51 PM
Typical Buck

Sounds likeyour shoulder is coming along nicely
Old 09-08-2008, 10:23 AM
Typical Buck

I hope Darryl has good news when he's back in town.

On a side note, This has got to be the most land I've ever had permission to hunt on. I just picked up another place it's only 6 acres but backs up to more. The owner told me she wants all the deer killed. She said I can shoot them right from her barn out of her back yard. Don't know if I'll go that far. But it's unlimited doe in my state so, a kill'in I will do. Also her friend has 60 acres about 30 minutes from her place that also sounds promising. 2 others hunt that land but if they only gun hunt I'll have first dibs .

Just shot my broadheads today and they are shooting low for some reason, about 1-2 inches at 10 yrds. So what I did was to set my pin at 15 and it hit right on the money at 10. I did this all the way up to 30. They are the same weight, but I guess it's the blades that must make for the change. Very odd but I can live with it.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

In the morning i am setting out my trailcam on a spot that the does and fawns have started to use, there trail is about 8 or 10 yards from my midget ladder stand (10 feet tall). this stand last year was in a good spot, the first day i hunted it last year was about a week or two before rut and a small doe walks in from the neighbors and walks right on by then about ten minutes latter a perfect 8 point trots by at about 10 yards (good 120 class deer) but i was on the wrong side of the tree this year the stand is on the other side of the tree and there is corn right behind me. hopefully he tries his luck again with a bigger set of antlers if he is still alive.
Old 09-09-2008, 12:02 PM
Fork Horn

Sorry to hear about your mishap Steve ... I'm praying fpr a speedy recovery!

Just got back lastnight from several days of huntin'. With this cooler front movin' through I wish I would've stayed one more day.
I've been pursuing a couple of huge bucks the last three years and decided to hike back several miles into the deep woods.

At 6:30 the evening of the first day, I saw three does making there way over a ridge and decided to draw back on the last one. Just as I drew back, the first doe snorted and all three bolted over the top of the ridge with two coyote's in tow.

As a rule of thumb, I normally back-track the opposite way I see deer coming from. In this instance, I did the same thing, and was rewarded. The does had come around a gnarley knuckle that jutted off of a three-way ridge intersection.After rounding this knuckle, I came to the intersection and found another gnarley knuckle (small point) that had cedars and thickets directly opposite the one the does had come from.

The wind was in my favor as I waited for night fall. Then suddenly,(I love those,"Then suddenly's"), I saw something that was unusually dark brown moving along the ground,through the woodsless than fifty yards away, below me on what I thought was a deer trail.

My heart was pounding as I waited to pull the string back. Just as I thought everything was coming together, the huge brown object was actually the huge bucks velvet rack. He raised it up to look down the trail. All I could think was, "it looked like four basketballs on his head.

It was massive, I've never seen a Monster buck like this in velvet ... on TV or in a magazine!Another ten yards and he would walk into a shootin' window I had picked out.
The deal would'nt be sealed this evening. The two coyote's I mentioned previously were on his trail and he wheeled around and escaped from all the predators running down into the hollow ... Man?

Sunday and Monday were uneventful, even though I did place a trail-cam next to a watering hole. Can't wait to see what it picks up!
Old 09-09-2008, 12:28 PM
Typical Buck

Man Darryl I bet you can't wait to get back in there to get that monster. I can't wait to see some trail pics of this one. When do you plan to go back? I hope you can get him next time.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats why it is called hunting not killing. Hopefully you catch him on your camera and then with an arrow. I set out my camera out this morning i found that my dad was right i need another stand to hunt this place efficently it is only about a 1 acre that i am actully hunting but i will have three stands on it. i put my camera on an intersection of two trails one is coming from a creek the other is coming from the middle of the corn field. The week before halloween can not get here fast enough.(thats when i will hunt this spot.)
Old 09-10-2008, 06:55 AM
Typical Buck

5 days and counting till the season opens and I can't stand it any more .
Old 09-10-2008, 08:43 AM

Darryl, sounds like you need to spend more time coyote hunting to get more favorable deer hunting. Lol. Nice to see you saw a monster, ashame you couldn't get a shot off. Stick with it and get us on the board!!!!

Quick Reply: Official Team Silent Stalkers Thread (46)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.