Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Tip 1 Over! Thread (29) >

Official Team Tip 1 Over! Thread (29)

Community

Official Team Tip 1 Over! Thread (29)

Old 11-05-2008, 10:02 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Official Team Tip 1 Over! Thread (29)

alright guys...the rut is really starting to fire up....the deer are really moving...get out as much as you can....we need to get some points on the board....i had a very close encounter nov. 3rd....i hunting in a stand i havent sat in all year yet...perfect wind...for it...and its in these thick ceders.....so i get up in the tree...and about 1 hour later...out of nowhere i hear a buck grunt..i looked behind me and a absolute giant is like 50 yards away down wind walkin right to the base of my tree.....keep in mind im sittin in thick ceders..the buck walked right next to my tree...but followed on the other side of the trees right next to mine....i grunted and grunted...he didnt care...he kept on walking...by the time he was in the shootin lane..he was 48 yards away...and was walking straight away from me...i then snort wheezed...and he didnt even flinch..i wanna think this deer could possibly be deaf...but i dont kno...he is a big main frame 5 by 5..but on one side..he has triple brow tines...and on the other side he has split brows....he is a stud and a half..i would say easy 160s....i cant get out tomarrow cuz i work..but im going friday for sure....and im going all day saturday..hopefully i can stir something up..i have a friend that hunts the property next to mine..and he shot a really nice 140" 9 pt... like a week ago...and his brother shot at a big 6 by 6....and apparently it is gonna snow friday......today was in the high 70's and i hope this cold front we are supposed to get...really kicks this rut into gear...and hopefully i will be addin some points to the board by the end of this week.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:03 PM
Fork Horn

good luck to yall...and hope we can start tippin some more over......man oh man....things should get real interesting this weekend!

Old 11-05-2008, 10:28 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Antler Eater

....Wh....Wha...what was that[]???? Did you guys feel it???....... justfelt a tremor in the force did I...........
I know... i finally get a day off to hunt !! Then of all darn things... the wife told meI must go huntingin the morning. The force is with me !! [8D] Now if the wind gust of 45 mph would go away which it won't be... I would be estatic !! They are talking 6 - 12 inches of snow for us in the next day or so.

Ok now tell us what the hell you are talking about. You've got me curious. Did something die ?? Something with antlers?? Too many hours on stand ?? A big buck sighting ?? What ???????????

Tim
Old 11-05-2008, 10:58 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

I've got the next 4 days off. Friday at noon our General Deer Season starts and the rifles come out for the 2.5 week season for the most part.It is very open here and not really safe to bow hunt from the ground since it is a mad house. I try it every year any ways and this year won't be any different.I still might rifle hunt depending on " who " shows up to hunt but hope to hunt more with my bow since I can fill that buck tag witheither bow or rifle. With all the standing corn it should be a lot safer hunting as a guy cansneak in to the sloughs in the fields away from other hunters. Going to be interesting and fun.

Hopefully Ican fill my archery tag before then in the next day and a half. They are talking strong winds and snow tomorrow. I know a couple thicktree patches (5 - 10 acres )were the deer bed that is impossilbe to hunt in calm weather without busting everything out of there when trying to access it.The wind is going to be good for sneaking in.If it does snow like they are predicting... even better !!!! Generally crappy weather makes for poor hunting butin this instance,I think it is going to be real good as the deer like milling around in there all day long.

I let you guys know how it goes. At this point I am still going to be picky and am looking for a big buck. Wehaveuntil January 4th to bowhunt so lots of time.

Good luck to everyone hunting!!

Tim
Old 11-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Typical Buck

NICE TO SEE THAT WE FINALLY MADE IT ON THE BOARD. GOOD LUCK TO YOU TJP THESE NEXT FOUR DAYS MAY THE WHITETAIL GODS BE GOOD TO YOU. WELL I STARTED MY MONTH LONG HUNT THIS PAST WEEKEND I, HUNTED INDIANA FOR THE WEEKEND AND ONLY SAW DOES AND A COUPLE 3 YEAR OLDS THAT WILL BE GOOD NEXT YEAR. I CAME BACK HOME AND IT IS STILL WARM. MOST OF THE DEER MOVE IN THE EARLIER AM HOWEVER, A COLD FRONT IS COMING IN BE THE WEEKEND AS OUR RIFLE SEASON OPENS. I WILL BE TAKING MY SON THIS WEEKEND AND I WILL BE BACK THE STAND MONDAY. GOOD HUNTING TO ALL.
Old 11-07-2008, 05:38 PM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

The weather has been just awesome here... NOT !!! My few tree patches are cover in ice and breaking with the strong winds we have had. I chanced it and sat last night in the trees. Had a 4.5 year old buck with a weak rack go by but he trotted through my shooting land ( ground hunting ) so no shot. We know he is at least 4.5 years old as we have the sheds from him from 2 years ago. He was at least 2.5 years old then. He might have grossed 120 so wasn't bummed too bad about not getting a shot at him.

Tonight I had a solid 130 gross 4x4 at 50 yards. Good buck as he only looked to be 3.5 years old. Hope he makes it one more year!! I had a young 4x4 at 20 yards. Wind was blowing good but still a good night for seeing deer. The bucks are harshing the does.

Tomorrow Tyler wants to rifle hunt in the morning so we can sit up on hill with the army of orange blasting away. The boss and a landlord of his wants us to hook up with them after that so we will be rifle hunting all day.

Might bow hunt Sunday unless Tyler wants to stick with rifle. We willsee how it goes.

Tim
Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Anyone having any luck? I got out last weekend on some private property that my friend has access to. I had a doe come under my stand at 12 yards but busted me reaching for my bow. Other then that not much action. Can't get out this weekend but hopefully next.
Old 11-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Add another one to our team totals gentlemen...156 1/8 old A.E got lucky.

Let's go team!!!
Old 11-14-2008, 07:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sweet!! I saw the picture in the Bowhunting Forum. Nice buck!!!!!
Old 11-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Typical Buck

Very nice job AE! That is a dandy of a buck there. I'm going to have to go search the forum for the whole story.

Quick Reply: Official Team Tip 1 Over! Thread (29)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.