Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Ruttin Rookies Thread (40) >

Official Team Ruttin Rookies Thread (40)

Community

Official Team Ruttin Rookies Thread (40)

Old 09-20-2008, 07:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 40 Thread

If you need help dragging Dan give me a call. Are you thinking brown is down for does?? What's your goal/benchmark for bucks. You looking to zip a 150 class deer or would you be content with a 100 incher?
I have my eye on a couple of 8 points that might make 100 inches but I won't know till they are on the ground.

I wonder how many on the team are hunting?? Not me thats for sure.
Old 09-20-2008, 05:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Bow season for antlerless only opened today in my WMU, 5-D. I didn't go out though. I'm going to wait until regular archery buck/doe Oct 4th. I think I'm going to be able to hunt the ENTIRE Parutfor the first time in my entire life. I'm talking pre-rut (last 2 weeks of Oct), right on throughthe first 2 weeks of Nov.That's good stuff.Then I hit Alberta for the last week of Nov. I'm pumped!!!

Old 09-21-2008, 06:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am sorry to say that I have been laid off from a great prevailing wage job. It now looks as though I am going to be unemployed through at least the second week in Nov. I do have some sweet sidework lined up which always helps.
That situation may force me to hunt hard and really beat it up this year right thru the rut. It's a sad sad road I face.
I missed the doe tag deadline but hope to get one or two when the online sales start up. I do however have two buck tags and would be thrilled to fill just one.

Got any room in your luggage Jeff. A road trip to the great north would be cool. I recollect thats a regular trip for you??
Kelly.. Post for the team that Pic your trailcam took last year. It's one of my favorites.
Greg... Where have you decided to hunt in MA??? Beartown and Three Mile pond on East mountain have always treated meOK... I will hit both those area for at least a day or two as I have trees with steps already in them.I know I shouldn't but its hard to climb without them and I can't statnd lugging a climber in..
Geez I wish I was hunting

Old 09-21-2008, 07:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

John, I could always make you a "third piece of luggage".Yes, this will be my 4th time hunting in Alberta.I think I'll have to chill out forthe next couple of years though. It get's expensive to go up there![:@]My ability to hunt the entire rut has to do with work being slow as well, so I'm going to make the best of it.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:59 PM

ORIGINAL: Planter

If you need help dragging Dan give me a call. Are you thinking brown is down for does?? What's your goal/benchmark for bucks. You looking to zip a 150 class deer or would you be content with a 100 incher?
I have my eye on a couple of 8 points that might make 100 inches but I won't know till they are on the ground.

I wonder how many on the team are hunting?? Not me thats for sure.
Sorry I haven't been on lately guys....taking care of the last of the guests here this week and then start hunting hard soon. I did sit Saturday night, but saw nothing. After Jill and I got the camera equiptment out of the tree and started climbing down, I heard the distinct sound of a deer taking 5-6 bounds away and his rack hitting the brush. Such is life!

I can't shoot does up here in Ontario. Even though I own the camp up here, I'm still a WI resident.

As for what size buck I'm looking to shoot....as of right now it has to be over 150", unless its a 140"+ 8pt. The smallest I will shootis 130".....or eat tag soup. I have a ton of time to hunt during the fall, so I can be picky.
Old 09-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck on your quest for a 150 class buck. Are you gonna try and hold to that standard back home in WI as well?
I gotta say with those standards and a camera to contend with you havea full plate.How did your guests do? Must be a bit tougher if they can't take a doe.

I have alot of experience under my belt and still have trouble being selective. One of the eights I shot last season needed time to grow and I did not allow it. He would have been a great deer in a year or two and in the area I washunting I probably would have seen him again this year.

I still have a couple of weeks befor I can hunt.

Jeff!! I'm thinking you will be back in Alberta next year as well if not someplace elseHave you done OK up there?

I hope the rest of the team is hunting rather than chatting!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 09-24-2008, 07:23 AM

Good luck on your quest for a 150 class buck. Are you gonna try and hold to that standard back home in WI as well?
I gotta say with those standards and a camera to contend with you havea full plate.How did your guests do? Must be a bit tougher if they can't take a doe.
I don't hunt much back home in WI until late season and then its mostly doe hunting. A buck back there has to be at least 3.5, no matter the rack size.

Oh, it will be a challenge, but I'm up to it. Here's my hunting schedule for this fall.......

Now until October 10, Ontario.....a lot of that time will be me behind the camera filming my wife, Jill.
October 14-25ish, Ontario again. Both in front of and behind the camera. This will be a deepwoods hunt that only we have access to.
October 27ish-November 6ish, Pike/Brown cty IL.
November 8-14, back here to Ontario, whether I have a deer or not.
November 16-22 Alberta.
After that, its up in the air. I am trying to get a SK and/or a ND hunt in yet this fall.

As for my guests, I only guide bear hunters. I take a few deer hunters, but mostly friends and family and they're on their own.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Geez Dan..Why don't you just rub our noses in it.That is the kind of schedule I would love!!

Have you produced any footage with Jill or is this the first attempt? I hope you get her on a big one. Is she holding out for a 150 inch deer as well???

I'm 50 YO and would love to retire right about now! I could fill every minute with something good.Rock on team mate and get us on the score board with a 160/170 deer will yuh.

I don't know if the name rookie fits this team!! I think we are hustling our competition
Old 09-24-2008, 06:37 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: _Dan

I don't hunt much back home in WI until late season and then its mostly doe hunting. A buck back there has to be at least 3.5, no matter the rack size.

Oh, it will be a challenge, but I'm up to it. Here's my hunting schedule for this fall.......

Now until October 10, Ontario.....a lot of that time will be me behind the camera filming my wife, Jill.
October 14-25ish, Ontario again. Both in front of and behind the camera. This will be a deepwoods hunt that only we have access to.
October 27ish-November 6ish, Pike/Brown cty IL.
November 8-14, back here to Ontario, whether I have a deer or not.
November 16-22 Alberta.
After that, its up in the air. I am trying to get a SK and/or a ND hunt in yet this fall.

As for my guests, I only guide bear hunters. I take a few deer hunters, but mostly friends and family and they're on their own.
Dan, that's a hunting schedule people only dream about. You da man!!Good luck to you this season.
Old 09-24-2008, 11:08 PM

Geez Dan..Why don't you just rub our noses in it.That is the kind of schedule I would love!!

Have you produced any footage with Jill or is this the first attempt? I hope you get her on a big one. Is she holding out for a 150 inch deer as well???

I'm 50 YO and would love to retire right about now! I could fill every minute with something good.Rock on team mate and get us on the score board with a 160/170 deer will yuh.

I don't know if the name rookie fits this team!! I think we are hustling our competition
LOL......Sorry!!! I wasn't trying to rub it in. I'm pretty fortunate to be in the postion I'm in, owning my own hunting and fishing camp and having off all fall. I bust ass during the spring in summer 7 days a week for 14 hours a day. Its a lot of work, but I love it.

I should clarify that I don't only hunt with the bow. If it comes down to it, I have no problem pulling out the smoke pole or the rifle.

I filmed Jill last year for the first time. She shot a 151" 11pt the first night of the season last year. It wasn't a bow kill, but it doesn't matter to me....hunting is hunting!

Quick Reply: Official Team Ruttin Rookies Thread (40)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.