Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team BackStrap Brigade Thread (11) >

Official Team BackStrap Brigade Thread (11)

Community

Official Team BackStrap Brigade Thread (11)

Old 09-13-2008, 11:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team 11 Thread

Take your hardhat Oak!!![8D]
Old 09-13-2008, 10:00 PM

Well i got out tonight and got wet but i did see a doe and she was close, I had taken my portable stand and climbing sticks and headed back into a area that i had been shed hunting this past spring in hopes to find a suitable tree well i found a real nice spot with good cover and at least 8 different trails coming within 30yards of the stand i got set up by 5:30 and at 6 the doe came by she stopped and sniffed the climbing sticks and carried on her way. I stayed until dark but nothing else showed except more rain.
How about you other guys any luck today?
Old 09-14-2008, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

I made a ton of killer shots on my block 4x4. I am not sure if I am gonna make it to the season.....this last few weeks are killing me.[&:]
Old 09-14-2008, 11:08 PM

We went camping with the family saturday, and i got up early for a quick hunt while everyone else was snoozing in the tents. For not being able to scout the area at all, it was a pretty fun hunt. I got up a little after 4:30, geared up, grabbed a bananna and some water and ate a cookie for a quick snack before bolting out of camp and climbing up to the top of the ridge above us. It was pitch black when I left camp and by the time I was about halfway up the ridge it was starting to get light. Right about that time I started hearing footsteps out in front of me. I was already going pretty slow so that I wouldnt make much noise, but now I really slowed it down...like 1 step, count to 5...another step...count to 5....

I ended up working my way to within 15 yards of 2 does, even after having a 5 minute staredown with the big one of the two, they still never busted me or blew out. I didn't want to scare them and blow them out and have them blow out any other animals on the ridge as well, so when they turned away, I slowly backed out and around some brush so I could continue on my way around them. That was a pretty fun way to start off the hunt though.

After about a 4 1/2 to 5 hour hunt, all on the ground, I ended up seeing 8 does and a coyote. No bucks, but it was a good time nonetheless and I saw some great country. When I got up on the ridgeline, I was wishing I had a camera with me to take some pics!

I made it back to camp at about 10:30, right as everyone else was finishing breakfast, which meant that the rest was all for me! Bacon, eggs, potatoes and even some danish pastries...sure did hit the spot after 5 hours hiking through the woods.
Old 09-15-2008, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

That was a great day Jag!! Keep on trucking! I will be in the tree on Sat this weekend. Its Doe only and it would be nice to put some early meat in the box! Good Luck!

Hatchet jack
Old 09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like you had a great morning Jag. Hunting and family time....that's hard to beat.

Jack - Good luck on the NannyWacking weekend.[8D]
Old 09-15-2008, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Ben!!!!! Some fresh Backstrap on the grill for the Nascar Dover race this week would be nice down Delaware way. It will be matched up with some Flounder and Sea bass, with mushrooms and onions. It could be a Monster weekend at the Monster MileOctober 4th will be here soon my friend, hang in there

Hatchet Jack
Old 09-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm bombed out guys.. The property I hunt as HARDLY ANY sing of deer activity. I don't know where else to go! With school, I don't have time to go scouting, I take music lessons every Monday evening, I have Volley Ball practice twice a week, I work every Saturday, Sunday not hunting, I don't know what to do...[&o]
Old 09-15-2008, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Burn a day or two of hunting to do some scouting....just make sure to do it with your bow in hand. I would do this now rather than later towards the rut.
Old 09-15-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Ben / PA

Burn a day or two of hunting to do some scouting....just make sure to do it with your bow in hand. I would do this now rather than later towards the rut.
Problem is, I don't know were to go!

Quick Reply: Official Team BackStrap Brigade Thread (11)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.