Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Community

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 10-20-2008, 07:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Joey, thats a great looking buck, congratulations!! You put the winning team on the board first !

Although i didnt shoot anything this weekend i had a great time. 2 of my friends and i went to Macon, MO for a 3 day hunt. Started out slow on friday but on Satruday and Sunday the bucks were chasing the does like crazy. We've never seen them chasing and grunting this early. It felt like the 1st week of november.One of my friendsharvested two does and a nice 8pt. I had nice 8 pt come by at 30 yds Saturday evening but let him walk and never got a clear shot at any does. We're going back up in two weeks and I have a feeling ill put one down then. This place is LOADED with deer!!

Im also hunting 4 or 5 days before then at my parents farm. Good luck to everyone the next couple weeks. Im sure the rest of us will start putting some horns on the board here soon.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

another evening of nothing for ole mauser......

wind was terrible...swirling every time it would blow!!!! i wanted to pull my hair out....and it was blowing a little harder than i would have liked...no beating it, the wind is always a little stiffer up there...

sooo i walked clear out the ridge i hunted last time...went 150yds past the stand i hunted last time and right a bit...beautiful point and bench...grape vines, white oaks, and the transition area of where the loggers cut..20-30 years ago....just a picture perfect DEER stand IMO...soon as i setup i spotted a gray squirrel...i been hunting that game lands since i was 12 and i cannot ever remember seeing a gray squirrel...REAL weird area...tons of oaks, but NO squirrels...i only ever shot 1 fox squirrel up there and 1 red...seen a couple more reds through the years...but just NO squirrels...i dont know why..its perfect squirrel woods...so that got me pumped....

last 20 minutes of light i hear serious crunching...i was calling every hour or so...it was too late to be turkeys...sounded like a group of deer...then i thought for sure it was a buck scraping and rubbing....i grabbed the grunt tube trying to get him there before light faded...maybe 50-60yds just outta view...i thought. i must spotted 3 or 4 more gray squirrels lol...

beautiful evening minus the wind...surprised that most trees are bare already...guess i missed it got pretty dang chilly...was kicking myself for not wearing my colder weather gear...any colder and i woulda been COLD

wont be long now....im pumped to get back home Halloween weekend...

tomorrow looks like a bust....11-21 mph wind with 31mph gusts...definently sleeping in...maybe thing will die down and i can get out for an evening hunt....
Old 10-21-2008, 02:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

drhntr178 - Good to hear you're seeing the bucks chasing doe's... Sounds like you have a great spot.

mauser - I hear ya on the wind... it can be a pain to hunt in, especially when you're hunting the wind. I'm not sure if you have many conifers around your area, but I like to hunt those on the windier days if possible. Especially if it's cold and even a blizzard outside. Those deer like to hunker up next to those cedars on those types of days.

Cougar - Hope everything checks out with your shoulder. Good to hear you're seeing deer.

Rob - Sounds like you have plenty of time in PA to find a good one... good luck!

I went out with the wife last night, and saw just one deer... but boy it was a nice one. Wouldn't come closer than 150 yards, but got some good video of it. I have a game cam pic of it in velvet. It'd be a great buck to take.It's tough to tell fromthe picture but he's pretty wide& a typical 6X5. It's raining today and is supposed to rain through Thursday, which limits access to that spot. I hope she can get a crack at him this weekend.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM

Hey guys,

Sorry i have not been around much. I have so much work with school and my job and trying to hunt as often as i can.

Have sat onlya few times and seen deer just about every time. Was out hunting with the gun for a doe only zone t hunt. Was great to get out there. I got a small doe. Was able to do some scouting then. Found my bow stand there were two really nice fresh scrapes only 9 yards off the tree i am sitting on!!!!

The bucks seem to be responding to the grunt call and will soon try to tickle the horns.

Keep yall up to date.

Good luck and nice work so far!!!!
Pines
Old 10-21-2008, 08:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

i hear you on the coniferous trees Joey...i go there in search of pretty much ALL game in foul weather...theres only 1 block of coniferous trees on the SGLs that i know of, CRAP...theres 2 that i know of now that i think about it...1 is close to my spring gobbler spot...its honestly probably too far to drag out alone...exspecially bow season carrying the stand and gear...i carried a turkey outta there and its just a long hike...i dont mind the hike, but dragging a 150lb deer plus my gear out, im looking at many hours...just usually better deer hunting closer than that...but i just thought of the other one i know of, and i wanted to hunt it once the leaves fell off...forgot about that because i tagged out early last season...found a dandy lookin point next to the thick stand of hemlocks..i just needed the leaves to fall so i could see..pretty thick point...may have to hit that soon...

i didnt make it out at all today [:'(] i dont mind rain...i dont mind cold...but i dont do heavy wind...ive had some rather close calls already in my life with being in the woods in windy conditions...i just wont be in a tree and try not to be in the woods period when its anything more than breezy...i remember one night when i was real young coonhunting with dad...windstorm came and trees were blowing down all around us...i cant remember where we went for saftey...but i think dad pretty much laid overtop of me...i was probably 6 or 7...theres been a couple other times that were pretty similar...just no reason to risk it IMO...

thursday is lookin like my next day out...buddy keeps talkin about going to his camp(where i killed mine last year) we'll see what he decides...if weather was better yesterday and today, i woulda went up yesterday after class....deer up there seem to respond to calling prettttty dang well, and seem to get froggy sooner...i cant explain it...its overrun with doe compared to anywhere else i hunt....

keep at it guys!!! 1 down, 9 to go!!!
Old 10-22-2008, 09:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

I hope to make it out today & tomorrow after work. Friday I am hitting Ohio, and Saturday hoping that it doesn’t turn into a washout here in PA. Sunday it’s back to Ohio. This is the time of year that every free hour I have I am going to do my best to be in the woods.

As a side note, while shooting in the yard last night, I decided to screw on my Magnus stingers to see how they flew because I’ve been having a lot of issues getting my thunderheads to spin true lately. Boy was I impressed. Perfect arrow flight. Don’t get me wrong when my T-heads are properly aligned I get perfect flight from them too. But my truest spinning heads go into my quiver, so my practice ones are a hair off. It just seemed like the Stingers flew even better than I could imagine.
Old 10-22-2008, 09:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Missed my first sit of the year last night, but it was too windy. I wasn't up for it, plus I needed to change out the rear shocks in my truck (boy that was fun[:@]). Tonight I may try a crab apple spot, or I'll be in my typically morning-used stand in the pine thicket near the food plot. I feel I should be in the coniferous areas with the heavier wind gusts we're having.

Edit...a CRAB apple tree, not a CRAP apple tree, lol
Old 10-22-2008, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

well buys hit a bit of bad luck hurt my shoulder in foobtall and cant pull my bow back! so im out for a week atleast hurts like heck but once i can pull it back im hitting the woods again scence i hurt it ive been phesant hunting went out 3 times didnt see a bird and today i filled my limit in 2 shots dropped 2 qnd my buddies did the same and we saw a bunch more birds to boot

matt
Old 10-23-2008, 05:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Matt you'll heal quick, you are young.

I saw a shooter last night guys, nothing crazy, a solid 125-130" 10 pt. He was 45 yds and would not respond a lick to the can call.(I had forgot my grunt in haste[:@]) But I don;t think he'd have went for that either. All I needed was 10-13 yards closer and I would have shot, being he was a calm deer standing in a field.

Back out this evening.
Old 10-23-2008, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Matt, that's rough, but like Ryan said, you will bounce back in no time. Keep it rested, so you still have time to get out some this year!

Saw 6 last night come into the plot again, but I was well south of it in my pine grove stand. We had a strong N wind, so it's the only spot I felt comfortable with in that wind. The 6 doe were pretty spunky. They were chasing each other around the plot, kicking at each other, etc. It was great to watch.

Looks like a wash for Saturday. Raing starting Friday night and going through Saturday. 2"+ likely. Looks like tonight may be my last sit until Monday[:@] We have an East wind tonight, so I'm not sure if I should try the crab apples or the food plot.

Quick Reply: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.