Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Community

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 12-18-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

thanx Rob...that G2 and brow tine would made him a NICE 6pt...kinda disappointing he could easily had 5 on easy side! not a huge buck by any means....just my first that would been half decint...definently oldest and biggest body...

the more i think about it, the more im glad i filled my buck tag. sure, i have the whole late season to hunt with my bow if i wanted....but i forgot in my unit, does season NEVER went out for any weapon and wont until about the end of Jan. i wish i had a seceret place that hold unpressured deer....i think the late season could be a great time to sit on a hot food source..

good luck guys still hunting!!!
Old 01-02-2009, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey team, hope everyone had a good Christmas and new year. I havent been in the woods thepast 2 weeks. Ive been spending time w/ my girlfriend and her family in New York for the holidays.

Season here in MO closes on January 15th. I have five days of hunting planned before it closes and Im still confident in scoring a buck. I have a couple hot spots for late season and optimism never hurt anyone.

Im still holding out for a 130" or bigger butthings might change if a 120" walks by again. Ive passed several 120's this year and last year but Im really feeling the urge to shoot a buck. I have at least 7 bucks on camera on the farm ill be hunting next week. Wish me luck!

If a 400+" buck walks out we might have a chance at this contest[:-]
Old 01-02-2009, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

good luck drhntr!!! glad to hear someone is still bowhunting for the team!!!

i got my 2nd deer ever with the flintlock this afternoon! my buddy pushed me 4 does and i took a 15-20yd shot at the biggest and dropped her...

bad camera man...i didnt think to look at the pics before leaving the woods....but ive had worse pics taken.....nice to have a few places still somewhat thick with deer to hunt....its kinda like the OLD PA...bunches of does but not hardly any bucks...the owners are buck hunters and dont allow us in there till the late season...they dont care if we take bucks, but they know most of the time we take does...

hope everyone had a good, safe holiday season!!

Old 01-02-2009, 04:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Capt, that's pretty cool. I'm 100% with my flintlock.....yup, I'm 1 for 1...never even misfired.

dh, good luck....we could use some more points.
Old 01-02-2009, 05:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

VERY nice track record Rob!!! i been flint locking since i was 16 or 17 (21 now!) last year i got my first finally! i can shoot targets all day no problem...but i had a serious issue with flinching...i can follow through with the bow...i can make a 350yd headshot on a groundhog with a great trigger squeeze...but couldnt follow through with the flinter...wasnt the lock being slow or jumping at the flash...i was sub-consciously pulling the trigger and dropping/lifting my head up to try to see around the smoke cloud...kinda how alot of guys miss gobblers...i cant count how many ive missed with that danged rifle! i was getting close to wrapping it around a tree till i connected last year....

Old 01-03-2009, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats Mauser & good luck drhntr. I likely have one more trip out myself before our late archery ends & officially hands me tag soup for a PA buck.

BUT, the good news is I whacked my first late season archery doe this morning. 4 deer got pushed into me from the ML hunters & I whacked one at 12 yds. Nice way to break in my "new" backup bow.
I swear they hunt harder during late season than they do in regular gun. There was a group of 7 trucks that drive practically the entire township with not much regard for posted land. [:@]
Old 01-04-2009, 12:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

I swear they hunt harder during late season than they do in regular gun.

Without a doubt Ryan. Once gun season is over, they are about as hard to hunt than any whitetail in the country. I've never seen such a wired whitetail then our girls once the second season roles in. Taking any doe is just about harder than taking a mature buck.
Old 01-08-2009, 08:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome job on the late season deer, guys! To think, I had 9 of them off my back porch Tuesday evening. Tried to sneak around the house, but no dice
Old 01-08-2009, 10:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats Ryan!!! thats a feat!! in 2B thats about the only way to see deer is if someone else moves them...i can drive around my township any day and find a crew of rifle hunters...pressure is still rough...

a guy stopped down my buddies farm the other day asking for permission and places to hunt...a crew of them are coming clear from Altoona to rifle hunt! they seen all the coop farms in the area and thought it was worth the trip....they are in for a bit of disappointment i do believe....

we been doing some new and some OLD pushes we havent done in a long while the last week....finding some deer...i managed another small doe with the flinter today! was a good bit of "shrinkage" mainly due to the lead deer being even SMALLER...i figured the 2nd one was the mother just looking at size at first glace...did a button check best i could and dropped her....yearling doe...im happy...will be great eating! and came from a herd that thrives because in the regular season they hide in a housing development...all summer they kill my buddies corn, but once bowseason starts they move out and become pretty nocternal and stay close to the houses...2 buddies pushed for me today and caught a group in our woods doing a push we havent done in a long while...

bucks must still be in hiding...only seen a couple small bucks this flinter season...

without the deer having houses to hide behind, we wouldnt have deer left in the area...between the long rifle season and the coop maps online, guys seem to flock to the area...the area glows on the coop map because all the farms are enrolled...thats the reason me and the crew i hunt with wont take does anymore in our regular woods...few exceptions like wounded, a jrs first deer etc...we havent pushed our regular woods at all when we do have someone with us thats buck hunting just because we dont wanna push them into rifle hunters...when we have noone but me shooting, we are in woods we dont regularly hunt and areas that still have a good population so if i do take one, its not from an area that isnt looking so good...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on another doe Mauser! You're having a really good year.

I will be out at some point tomorrow. Not expecting too much, would take nothing short of a miracle to score at this point. I don't know whether to scoot up a tree in some thick stuff & hope a nice buck strolls or gets pushed by. Or just snow camo up, grab the longbow, point my nose to the wind and sneak thru some bedding areas. That could be pretty fun if nothing else.