Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Community

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 10-19-2008, 09:38 PM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Went out this morning and had 5 does pass by at 15 yards, watched a young 5 pt. and 7 pt. do a little sparring. It was awesome but I didn't have my camera or a camcorder with me. Same stand I took my doe from Oct. 4.

Glad I didn't see anything I wanted to shoot though because as of this morning I am unable to pull my bow. Backing it down doesn't do any good either. Just when I get to peak poundage the arm gives out and my triceps and biceps shoot pain to my shoulder which I injured at work about 6 months ago. It hasn't healed and I am guessing inflammation. Hopefully my doctor and can take care of it and I am back shooting later this week or weekend. Good luck to everyone!!!!
Old 10-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rob, ive seen your track record...i know from about Halloween on, that i can usually expect to jump on here and see that you put one down....i'll be waiting im loving the thoughts of this season being later....i get a warm mushy feeling when i think about it last year i didnt get to hunt the seeking/chasing phase, and my first year, i only got to hunt 1 or 2 mornings when it was half decint...i remember i had the wild fire training on the best weekend we had that year....so im pretty pumped about this year....so long as nothing pops up unexpected into my schedule...pretty sure after 2 full out training weekends we will have our weekends free...from what i see i think were done with weekend training for the semester...heck, after bow season, im bear hunting Tues and wed and then got mon and tues off in rifle season....

i have alot of hope in seeing alot more deer starting hopefully this evening....my legs are shot right now...hopefully they are feelin better by 2pm lol...if not, i may have to find somewhere closer to the truck to hunt than my usual spot lol....ahhh the thought of dragging one out of there just hit me...couldnt get help up there if i wanted it...where theres a will, theres a way...i can do it! lol...jello legs n all! with that system moving in, i feel confident the deer aughta be on the move...just gotta be in the right tree...

coug, take it easy! them shoulder injuries stink! i over did it my first year and had to lay the bow down for a few weeks...if i pushed it, im sure i woulda been in a world of hurt...

i am excited to get the chance to shoot a trad bow for the first time!! buddy shoots a recurve and just bought a brand new one...i think were gunna shoot wed if he got his string...ive always wanted to try it....
Old 10-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Quit whining about your legs, you are young. [8D]But since we are on the lines of dragging a deer out with no help and having a tough drag, how are those game carts for uphill drags if you are on a good trail? My OH spot could leave me with a tough uphill drag and very far from the truck.

Beware shooting the trad bow…they bite. And once you are infected, the only cure is buying an oddly shaped piece of wood to fling arrows from for yourself. Good luck & beware. [:-]
Old 10-20-2008, 07:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Arrowed a 10pt on Saturday evening. Him and a group of bucks were out feeding on a milo feild at 150 yards away. I did some soft grunts and tickled the tines together, and eventually this guy worked over my way. He was drinking at a little puddle at 26 yards when I let the arrow fly. Made a double-lung shot on him and he went maybe 45 yards before crashing.

Not the biggest of a buck of the bunch, but i'm happy with him. I recognized this buck asone Ihave several game cam pictures of him from both in and out of velvet. Casi did a good job getting it all on video. It's kind of crazy to bowhunt over 50 times last year and not get a buck, and then shoot one out on the 1stevening this year. The 1st time i've ever done that.

Haven't scored him yet, but will be able to sometime mid-week.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats Joey, that is awesome! We are on the boards!
Beautiful looking buck there.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Way to put us on the board with a great buck to boot! Congrats. Where can we catch the footage?
Old 10-20-2008, 08:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks guys. I'm glad Casi has a buck tag so I can still get out with her for the remainder of the season, and have fun.

Rob, the footage will be going on our next RJ Video. Sorry I can't post that online.
Old 10-20-2008, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, again Joey. Excellent buck.
Old 10-20-2008, 11:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

congrats again Joey!!! thats a pretty awesome story!! and a beautiful buck!!!

rybo, i am young...and thats what keeps me truckin along lol...i just know when im older, i'll be payin hell for the things ive done lol...but thats life...gotta live it and make the most of it....training was long, tiring and physical, but im already confident i'll love my job, and what i learned will be very important in my line of work and will save my life and the lives of others....

i heard alot about trad bows having an infectious bite...im still pumped to get to shoot one...figuring wed after class we will go fling arrows....ive always wanted to try it...it just seems like that would be something id REALLY enjoy...i love compounds and the technical stuff and all that...but i also love the simple things...

never used a cart....old timer told me a lonnnng time ago, always walk uphill so your drag is downhill...i dont follow that rule, but, when im dragging up hill, i often think of what he said lol.....ive never made the drag out of where im hunting...ive never made a drag through the woods over 100 yds or so without hitting a road or field or something...im probably 500yds in the woods...and about 300yds down a gasline from the road...the woods is up a grade...could be brutal...but i'll do it...take the stand and bow out...shed some clothes, go back in and gather him up and take my time...made farther drags before, but its been on grassy SGL trails....

im showering up and heading out....BEAUTIFUL day....cant decide where to setup...probably just head back to the oak ridge, even though there arent any acorns dropping...might be a rough year on bigwoods deer...only place ive found acorns dropping decint was here at school and the soils here are practically wetland soils..im slightly worried...and if i dont see deer on the oak ridge this evening, im going to have to rethink my hunting up there...only thing left for them to eat up there is browse...plenty of that...going to try some light rattling and grunting this evening...i seen a couple young bucks last night that definently looked love sick....
Old 10-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats Joey - nice buck!

Quick Reply: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.