Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2008 Deer Bowhunting Contest
 Official Team Elowapi Thread (15) >

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Community

Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Old 11-06-2008, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Of all the weeks to take vacation it hits 70 degress every freaking day [:@] Here's the log of my week hunt.

Day 1- Hunted field were I had saw two shooters this week. All i saw wasthe farmerscombine for
fourhours [:@]He told me he wasnt taking the beans out for a week...he lied[:@]

Day 2- Doe downin morning. Didnt see much all day.

Day 3- Saw a couple does. The heat really set in and deer are not moving

Day 4- Head to north Missouri.Turkey Down! Dropped a hen at 50 yds! Saw one shooter in the morning. Not close enough for a shot. Use the
new Scarface decoy and lured in a doe Doe down!! I thought it was supposed to lure in bucks but you take what you can get

Day 5-Only saw a spike chasing a doe all day [&:] Feels like August. Mosquitos are buzzing me. Hunting partner shots 2 turkeys.

Day 6- Finally!!!!!! The deer are moving. Setup in a saddle between a brush choked creek and and brushy ridge. I had 7 different bucks pass by in
morning allwithin 10 yds. The first 6 were just a tad under mygoal. The biggest would have been 115" and the smallest around 100". But the
7th buck had to come in from the complete opposite direction of all the others and caught me off guard. He came to withing 10 steps before
I knew he was there. We saw each other at the same time. He was an easy 130" 8 pt. We stared at each other for about 30 seconds.
There was nothing i could do as he trotted out of sight. That was the last deer I saw that day .

Day 7- Rained in morning. Saw a button buck in the evening.

Had a good week but the weatherreally put a damper on the deer movement. I have 3 days to hunt before our rifle season kicks in. The weather is turning now so the action should pick up this coming week. Congrats To Rob and Cougar!!!!
Old 11-07-2008, 06:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

drhntr,
Sounds like a pretty good week. Good luck with your last few days.

As for me I am off to OH for the weekend. As long as its not too crowded I hope to have some action. I’m cautiously excited. I think with this turn in weather, it could be really awesome.

Hang in there the rest of you guys and good luck this weekend.

Old 11-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow... Some close calls guys. Good luck this weekend. Hopefully the cooler temps will bring some more action your way.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I got some more pics of the big 12 at my farm up north. Here's the link to the thread

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3154970
Old 11-07-2008, 09:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats on the 2 does and turkey drhntr!!! good luck with the bucks!!!

heading out in the morning...prepared for an all day sit on the honey hole hill...front still hasnt hit...still warm...some ligggght rain...hopefully they are moving great tomorrow!

talked to my buddy this evening...he has a trail cam at their camp...he is moving across the state in the morning...we were supposed to be at camp together this weekend..planned it pre-season...i told him i was hoping to get up there atleast a day this week...he said GET THERE! no matter what GET THERE! i had to ask WHY!?!? whats so important i have to go sit at camp and hunt all by my lonesome? well, he got 3 pretty nice bucks on the camera this week...a 7, an 8, and a 9. he said the 9 is REALLY nice..the other 2 arent 1.5yos from my understanding....

soooo i may not shoot a REAL small legal buck if one comes by tomorrow lol....we'll see...no guarentees that i see ANYTHING at the camp....but i know the deer move well up there and respond to calls pretty readily as well...which is odd because there is a PILE of does compared to here at home where i honestly belive we have more buck than doe...

we'll see...id really like to go up monday and hunt maybe monday evening and tuesday all day...if not, id like to make sure i can find the stand monday evening atleast..its the stand i killed my buck from last year..he killed a bow buck and a couple rifle bucks..plus alot of missed opprotunities from it as well..just a good stand...

i hope i dont get sick and laid up....im slightly stuffed up and sore throat once in a while..i can deal with it...but hope it dont get worse...

good luck guys!!! hopefully this front is just the ticket to some movement...
Old 11-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats to the guy out actually hunting and shooting a buck rather than on the computer (watching the boys)... Big Congrats!!
Old 11-08-2008, 05:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey team, as Bow Hnt alluded to and you may have seen in the main forum, I drilled a pretty good buck this morning in Ohio. He should push 140, but we'll see once I put the tape to him. Here's a pic for you guys, there's more in the main thread.
Keep at it guys, this is the time the bigguns start falling.
Old 11-08-2008, 05:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

congrats again Ryan!! thats a dandy buck!!! i might have to start hunting ohio!!

as for me, i pulled a dark till dark sit in the "honey hole hill" 0930 and a deer came running through on the edge of the red brush about 50yds away..."oh boy its gunna be a buck chasing a doe!!!" wrong...just a doe, i believe..too fast to get binocs on...she went into the red brush and disappeared. someone must spooked her across the road or something...

turkeys flew down but NEVER moved more than 100yds from their roost...my guess was the high winds kept them from moving much...

330ish i believe i spot a deer standing infront of me 20yds away lol...wind was fierce..couldnt hear anything..plus i had a thick winter full face mask and a winter hat on so i basically had earplugs on lol...(ears get infected EASY so i gotta watch it) turned out to the the worlds largest button buck...believe it was the one i seen opening week...watched him for dang near a half hour...

lost him and 15-20 mins later i spot a deer walking to my right...i did hear 1 sound i thought about turning around for, but didnt...pretty sure that one was a doe...maybe my original doe from 0930...maybe he pushed her outta there...wasnt the BB for sure...

half hour after that i caught a glimpse of a deer where i lost the BB...dont know what it was..could been him..could been the new world record..i just caught a glimpse of a rear leg walking outta sight...

that was all she wrote. long cold windy day.....would been a very nice day if it wasnt windy...

wheres this "Rut"?!?!?! im semi disappointed i didnt even see my little bucks.....thought for sure they would been on the prowl hard today....i think the wind had alot to do with it...it was probably 20mph pretty constant..gusts to 25-30 occassionally...it was stiff...

Old 11-08-2008, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

Congratulations Ryan on a tremendous buck! Now thats what I'm talkin about.

Though mine already counts I really am ashamed of myself for this morning. Am allowed to take one more buck and had a 140-145 buck in easy bow range this morning. Same stand I shot a doe and buck from this season. He came in too close if you can believe that. There is one limb on a nearby tree that is just right to be wrong if a deer is in the wrong place and the buck was. I guess to shoot over the limb I changed my anchor a little and already had him bagged and tagged. I got a flesh wound, followed him for about 200 yds until the blood came to nothing. Searched all day long. What I thought was a good shot became bad when I found my arrow in the dirt. Hair, a little meat and smatterings of blood on the arrow.

I am not posting this on the main forum, just here for you guys[&o]. Hadn't done this in years but I did today.....already had him mounted before I shot.
Old 11-09-2008, 04:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys.

That is a bummer cougs. Hope you get another crack at him or something else just as nice. You just had some bad luck there, its not like you were winging an arrow just because you saw a nice one.

Mauser ,
hang in there bud, they are moving that is for sure. Within the 30 minutes I waited for my buck 2 smaller scrubs came by, and who knows, more could have as I was intently watching my guy for signs of movement.

Quick Reply: Official Team Elowapi Thread (15)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.