Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread >

22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

You're in for a treat Huck, the blood will get pumping long before you reach the outfitter because the locals (caribou) like to run the road ahead of you and slow you down! Nouchimi is about 100km (60miles) before where I stayed, but thats not bad because the migration has been moving west for a few years. One thing that bothers me is I thought the non-resident area started after km 300 or so of the Trans Taiga road, you may be staying in the resident only area and will have to drive east a bit before parking and getting out to hunt. As I understood it Mirage outfitters (luxary place with fine dining and snowmobile/helicopter rentals) was near the start of the non-res zone. I may be wrong, I'll look into it.
In the meantime check out the Other Areas forum, there is an informative thread about the Qubec Winter Caribou hunt there, I hope you have some time on your hands (its 120 pages long!)
We don't want to hijack the team thread so more info will come via PM.

Old 10-12-2007, 10:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

Trevor,

Nouchimi is on the CreeIndian Res. (I think). I believe that is why we, as non res, can hunt there. We fall under indian jurisdiction and not Canadian jurisdiction. I may be wrong(?). I cannot wait!
Old 10-15-2007, 05:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

How did everyone do this past weekend?

My plans to hunt antelope fell through. Inever made it to Wyoming...ya, I'm bummed.

A good friend of mine scored a speed goat in Nebraska. Here's the photo.

These critters are a gas to hunt!

Old 10-15-2007, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

Congrats to your friend, Huck. Sorry you didn't make it out.

Well, guys, I missed last weekend. Had plans on Sat. and, of course, they don't let us hunt Sundays here in VA [:@]. I'm planning an evening hunt tomorrow, though. Hopefully things will turn around for me soon. I'm just trying to stay patient.

How's everyone else doing out there?
Old 10-16-2007, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

they don't let us hunt Sundays here in VA [:@]
I feel your pain Rookie, but its not so bad for me, we can bow hunt, just no guns on sunday.

Moving just plain sucks, but moving the stuff isn't nearly as bad as painting, its my 1st time and I never realized that I could hate doing something so much. I've pretty much decided that I'm not taping anymore, goona let the paint fly then replace the trim, it'll be easier this way.

I got out late on sunday, spent most of the morning and all evening in the stand... seen one doe too far out. Walking out in the dark I had a deer cross the trail in front of me, I guess I bumped it cause it was going full tilt. When I got up to where it came from two more took off in the opposite direction, I thought that was rather rather odd, one deer spooking and others hanging around.

Anyways, same game plan for me this weekend; move/paint on saturday, sit in a tree on sunday.
Old 10-16-2007, 10:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys, hows it going? I've been out just about every chance I get. To be honest I have been out at least for a few hours 6 of the last 7 days. I'm taking a break for a few days. I had two close encounters with nice bucks last Thurs. evening. I set up in one of my stands with the wind in my favor. Wouldn't you know it about 30 min. after setting up the wind changes directions and is now blowing out toward the picked bean field I was overlooking. Sure enough after the wind switched I grunted in a nice 150" 8 pointer (I mean this dude is a stud) that worked his way to about 35-40 yards but I couldn't get a shot due to some overhanging tree limbs. Before he had a chance to move any closer he caught wind of me and went the other direction. Same evening right before dark I had just about given up on the evening (still disgusted about the first buck) when I decidedto do some soft rattling. And to my surprise another big boy makes his way out of the same area the previous buck came from. Same thing happened. He was coming in on a rope and got to the same spot as the other buck and caught wind of me. I couldn't believe it. It was def. a bitter sweet evening. Nice to see such majestic animals but just a drag not to be able to get a shot. I have had many opp. to take does but just haven't really wanted to yet. Still to hot to full with it in my opinion. Not worth the drag in this hot weather. On that same Thurs. evening I did have this8 pointercome in from the other direction and present a 15 yard shot. I gave him a free pass. He needs at least another year to fill out.

Since Thurs. I haven't had anymore encounters with any shooter bucks. Got rained on sat. morning and went out yesterday evening and passed on a nice doe. To make a long story short I'm gonna take a well deserved few days off and hang out with my fiance... I will be back at it hard in a few days. I will keep you guys posted. Talk to you soon.
Old 10-16-2007, 06:54 PM
Fork Horn

Was out again this evening...not much action. I was hunting from the ground and ended up getting busted by a couple does. One of those deals where the blew at me for about 10 min. and me staying completely still hoping they'd let the guard down and give me a shot only to delay the inevitable...them bolting. Had I been in a stand, I thinkI'd finally have some meat in the freezer.

On another note, it doesn't look like this property I'm hunting has any monsters on it. My buddy saw 2 sixes and little 4 point during a sit last week. Hopefully there's a bigger one out there, but, if not, I guess any antler will help the team out, so I'll probably pull the trigger if given the chance.

Alright, all. Good night and good luck.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ok guys,

Here's the old hot iron to the butt post! GET OUT THERE! MAKE IT HAPPEN!

I will be guiding elk hunters through Sunday. Can't wait to hear how ya'll do!

Best of luck!
Old 10-20-2007, 01:32 PM
Fork Horn

Well, guys...saw nothing but four does this morning. The search continues.

Hope everyone else is having some luck. Keep us posted. Good luck and be safe.
Old 10-20-2007, 05:37 PM
Fork Horn

I made it out today for a couple of hours, saw about 7 does, no bucks. The wind was really swirling today, mostly in the tree tops so i decided to sit in a hemlock stand between the woods and the upper field.

Yesterday I was walking out to my pondand there were about 12 deer in the side field beyond the pond, so I snuck up and managed to grunt ina small 6 to about 50 yards and then the wind swirled and he snorted and rejoined his herd. A second later the heavens opened up and everyone (deer and me)went in for cover. It was warm and muggy yesterdaybut I would have passed on that 6 anyway, too small.

I'm afraid that the 6 might be the dominant buck on my property and outside of a spike all the deer I see are does. From my limited sampling I would say the ratio so far is about 1:12 bucks to does. It's too early to really tell though as the big boys might be nocturnal, the bears certainly are so far. Oh well, the rut is right around the corner and I have plans to hunt hard this weekend. Good luck to all.

Tom

Quick Reply: 22 - Official Team The Timber Rattlers Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.