Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread >

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

Do they have Sunday hunting in Wisconsin? They are allowing it this year on private land in October for the first time.
Yes, they do. this evening I saw the nice doe and its button fawn again.
Old 09-17-2007, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

If all you see is that doe, eventually there will be a buck tagging along.

Dave, did you go back out on Sunday?
Old 09-17-2007, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I walked quite a bit in the woods over the weekend.Set one stand,walked a new area.Walked in the area where I had gotten the sow and cubs on trail cam and got to see them in person at about 75 yards,when I saw the sow I immediately began scanning the woods to make sure I wasn't between she and the cubs.Fortunately I wasn't,she didn't seem all that bothered she just turned and walked away with the cubs in tow.
In the new area that I walked,which was an area I went into with a friend who hunts it (so I wont be hunting it) we saw atremendous amount of bear sign.There were at least four or five white outs that bears had been up and tore limbs out of to get at the acorns more easily.It is amazing that they know which tree's have the best or most mast in them.I think my friend will have a pretty good opportunity at a bear in that area.
I practiced yesterday afternoon with my nephew who is just starting out at the age of 16.He was shooting at 20 yards and was doing better but scattering arrows.He informs me that when he is huunting this year the furthest distance he will shoot at is 35 yards.I will have to have a long talk with him prior to him hunting.He is a great kid and is a very good athlete,I don't think he is used to some of the suttle things necessary to be successful with archery equipment.Hopefully we will spend some time together hunting.I intend to have a couple of spots where I set up two tree stands.In the same tree actually.If he is capable and I don't know that he will be,I would like him to cut his teeth a very close shot.I am still unresolved as to what I will do if a good buck comes in when we are together,it probably will be part of the deal that bucks of a certain stature are my shot opportunities.It sounds incredibly selfish to say that,but I work hard at it and in our area you have to work hard and be very fortunate to get a crack at a good buck.
I would be interested to hear your guy's opinion about this.It would be a little different for me if he was spending time in the woods or practicing dilligently,he is doing neither,but he has football and his studies.I will have to mull this over a bit.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jarrod,

Mike,s right. Eventually a buck will be following that doe. One year I passed on a shot at a doe and it ran up over a hill. I decided to follow the tracks and when i reached the top of the hill there was a second set of tracks. Followed both sets for a while and saw a buck in a thicket that was trailing the doe. Never got a shot off but it taught me a valuable lesson. When the rut is on the bucks will always be around the doe.

mike,

No Sunday hunting in MD for Sept. I'll be back out after work Friday and then on Saturday.

Scot,

I'd simply tell him that you get first choice at the bucks. You've put in the work and I would see it differently if he helped scout and such. Plus, it will tach him patience and he can watch how it's done by an experienced archer. Furthermore, you are bringing him along to hunt with you. If it was a son or daughter I probably would feel diffrently about it. Best thing he can do is shoot a doe at close range to get the feel of taking a shotat a live animal with a bow.

I definitely agree about you having a good talk with him about the distance.I practice a lot further than 35 yds and would think hard about taking a shot at that distance. In the woods you get a true feeling about exactly how far that is and what can go wrong. i was rangefinding some trees Sat and just amazed at what the distance looks like sitting up in a tree.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:43 PM
Typical Buck

Scot, I agree with Dave. Set the presidence up front. He can take a doe or a 1.5-2.5 buck but any older its yours or whatever criteria you want. If he is in sports he should understand that. Tell him he has to earn the buck by first getting X.....this will give him something to work towards and it will let you know how committed he is and how hard he is willing to work for it. I do this with my nephews ( I have 4) and my kids.
Old 09-17-2007, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Guy's!
I want to comment about how many spelling and gramatical errors I made on my last post.I know you guy's are not proof readers by profession,but when I read my last post over,I thought jeez Scot what the heck were you thinking.Sorry about that!
Yes, I am going to have to letmy nephewknow that a 35 yard shot for someone who cannot yet group into a softball size group at 20 yards is not something that is responsible nor will I witness it.
My normal practice routine is from 40 yards and I am comfortable and confident at that distance but I would keep my own shot's to 30 to 35 yards.
I feel a little long in the draw lately.I wish I had access to a top notch tech who sets up and fine tunes target shooters equipment.You wouldn't think I would be long at a draw length of 28.5 inches for me.I am 6'2" with pretty long arms.I shoot with an open stance which has me shorter than if I shot with a closed stance.I just feel like I am pushing my bow arm out to far,that I am not back in to the bow arm shoulder socket enough.Anyway,I am shooting fine,just want to fine tune.
You fellows that are hunting have to keep us posted on how your hunts go.I am sure you will.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well Guys.. I checked my three cameras today.. One was set on 1 minute and all the pictures were sucked up in a matter of 5 hours.. So nothing to show there. THe other camera was never ON.. the battery door was open on the camera.. and the other camera had one decent buck a 7 point.. Missing a brow tine.. prolly score around 90 or so.. But I accidentally deleted all those photos.. So needless to say, It was a BAD week of Pictures. Hopefully next week when I check again, We'll have MORE and a BIG buck...
Old 09-17-2007, 07:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Scot,

I don't pay attention much to that. Sometimes we get carried away in the words. That is suprising that draw length isn't too short for you. However, my friend shoots at 29" and he's almost 6'3" and keeps is left arm bent pretty far. He thinks my draw length is too long for him.

Brad,

You need to get that buck. Hopefully, this Friday or Saturday I can get that buck, or another one and get us on the board.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Dave, I am just a physical freak of nature,my arm is not bent,no locked out but not bent.
Sorry about your photo's Brad! I have done that as well and it is like a double whammy,you feel foolish because you have done it and you didn't get to see what was photographed.
Old 09-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: fun2hunt

If all you see is that doe, eventually there will be a buck tagging along.
That's what Im hoping. Before that, they aslo come and start making a bunch of rubs along the creek. No scrapes though. Last year there were a number of bucks that frequented the area, but after mid november, they came less often. I didn't even see any big does (which I wanted to shoot); just a bunch of smaller ones. We did get a bad picture of a nice buck in January, right at closing when it was snowing heavy and my dad was gonna go, but didn't. I just don't think there's enough food during the winter.

Quick Reply: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.