Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2007 Bowhunting Contest
 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread >

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Old 09-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Nate,

Just save one of our avatars as a jpeg and you are good to go.

Scot,

You can send me your pics if you'd like and I'll post them for you.

I did some dove hunting Saturday and got 2. My shotgun shooting is terrible right now. I need to get it straightened out by the end of the month.

I did some shooting out of my portable and ladder stands that I bought last week. Having a stand that is 16 ft has shown me that I usually only go up about 12-14 ft. I need to get higher. The good news is I was drilling he target. I put a leaf on the target and put a nice X in it with my broadhead. The one bad thing is that one of my blades broke off on the plastic that is uses for the top and bottom of my block. The plastic is about 1/2" thick but not sure if it should have broke though.
Old 09-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you Dave.I will send you the photo tomorrow.I set a stand yesterday,in the same tree I shot last years buck.That tree has been very good to me,I have killed three deer out of it over the last four years.Two eight pointers and a doe.I get a little misty when I think about that stand.
I also set a trail camera up in the area where the stand is.I will pull it next saturday.I walked on the mountain by my house today.It has been so dry it is a bit difficult to tell what runways they are using.I didn't come across any area where the sign looked that promising.I walked a spot yesterday that I have hunted in the past and it didn't look that great either.I will keep walking until I have at least four or five spots that I feel good about.
I give you a lot of credit Dave i have absolutely no experience with shooting birds in flight,I have never shot trap or skeet.I understand hitting doves is quite challenging.
I hope everyone had a great weekend!
Old 09-03-2007, 07:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys!

Just got on, first time in 2 weeks. Man I hate being so busy... a couple years ago I was a team captain, and on all the time. It is so much fun being involved in all the discussions....that is killing me not being able to.I did just take the time to read the entire thread....good stuff. I'm getting excited for the season to get here. In VA & WV we start in early Oct, but it doesn't get good until late Oct, early Nov...like most places. I usually see a good one during the season, but unfortunately they are few and far between where I live. A good buck is 100"....and getting one in bow range is not real easy. But I try each season, and refuse to shoot a small one. This season I am especially excited because I will be heading to IL with a buddy who has 5 farms there. First time ever hunting in an area that actually has BIG deer...so I am excited. I'm hoping to tag a P&Y at least....we'll see. He has taken some whoppers, so we know they are there. Haven't seen anything here where I live but small bucks...which is the norm this time of year. The bigger bucks rarely show until the rut. I have a huge mountain that is really wildernesslike right across the street from my property. I think they just stay up in the solitude most of the year...until the rut makes them lose their control. We'll see.

Well guys thats it for now....I hope to be around a little more as the season wears on. It's a catch 22 with my business being so busy....but it will be worth it. If things keep up, I'll be able to BUY my own farm in IL!!!

Talk to you soon!
-Mike
Old 09-03-2007, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

Hello

WV hunter, lives in VA, and wants a farm in IL. hmmm.[:-]

Nate you don't need a .jpeg; a .gif will work.

I was just up north. I did try dove hunting with an old Remington Model 17 but there aren't many doves in the area. i didn't see any hunting; just some at the neighbors bird feeder and two flying across the lake. Fishing was no good either. But our new cabin is coming along nicely

I went out and got my trail cam; just the same does and fawns that I've seen all summer. I walked around a little and noticed my trophy rock was all gone. I just put it out maybe 3 weeks ago. We did get pretty much rain lately though. It was an old one that had been sitting outside in the wrapper for a year or so, and it may have just dissolved. But there were pleanty of tracks and I should have put my cam over it. I don't think the bucks would be using it much (if they ever even came near it yet) anymore; do you think it was just the doe and fawn?

And my strings arent in one week later, and school starts wednesday
Old 09-03-2007, 07:44 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davepjr71

I did some dove hunting Saturday and got 2. My shotgun shooting is terrible right now. I need to get it straightened out by the end of the month.
The shotgun? Mine too.

Id say that a limit (15) with a box of shells is awesome shooting. Even 15 doves with two boxes is great.
ORIGINAL: davepjr71

The one bad thing is that one of my blades broke off on the plastic that is uses for the top and bottom of my block. The plastic is about 1/2" thick but not sure if it should have broke though.
I think there are two steel bands that are wrapped around the block to hold it togather. And one side has wood on it too.

Edit: Thanks for the OT2 sims. According to it, I'm best off (as far as KE and thus penetration) shooting at 29" w/ 100gr tips vs. 28" w/ 125gr tips but 29" and 125gr is too weak. Does OT2 have a 'hybrid' selection for the cams?

Edit2: So when do does shoo away their fawns?

#3: holy crap Ive never seen mosquitoes so bad! Up north its been dryer and there aren't many but this Sunday and today it was terrible apparantly.

#4: i guess I put the trail cam out on video mode (wildview 3). Dad got the pics and they were pretty good videos (for such a cheap camera). plus I forgot to plug the big battery in, and there were 43 vids/pics@night on the internal batteries w/o dying. Nice surprise.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mark,

glad to see you stopped in and are getting all pumped up for the hunt. I'd love to go to Illinois or one of the other big buck states. I guess I can't complain though. The Eastern Shore is only 2 hrs away and there's some whoppers down there. not a lot of hunters in MD and a ton of deer.

Jarrod,

I have a Benelli Super Nova. I bought it for duck hunting and it's the best shotgun I've ever owned. I've buried in mud and allI had to do was hose it off. If I hit 15 doves wit ha box of shells I'd be happy.

You're very much welcome. Now thatI have the hang of the program i can run a bunch of sims in a short amount of time.

I didn't look at the KE numbers but if you could keep the 29" DL and use a 28" arrow w/125 gryou should have higher KE than with a 29" DL and 100 gr arrow. I'll have to look at the print outs.

I was thinking about what you said about your DL. Have you ever gotten measured? If you'd like to even check it yourself you can measure your wingspan and plug the value into this site.

http://www.nzap.co.nz/drawlengthcalculator.php

Even with thatIcan shoot a 29" DL with a D-loop and my current release. However, 30" is what I am more comfortable with and i guess it depends on how much you like to flex your bow arm.

The issue with what cam the system uses in confusing. The developers use solo cam for any hybrid cam bow. I'm hoping soon that they actually model the Hoyt and Bowtech hybrid and binary cams. There's a feature for the user to change the draw curve for the bow but I haven't messed with it.

As far as mosquito's go i have 1 word for you. Thermacell
My brother and I have been using them for deck parties and we used his Saturday for dove. Even in a stiff breeze we stayed mossquitoless. It's a great product. Here's how well it worked. My brother and i both sprayed ourselves with off and the suckers were still biting in the few places we didn't spray and they were buzzing all around. Put the Thermacell out and in about 1 minute no more bites.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:42 AM
Fork Horn

Hmm. We got just got one. My parents said it didn't work on the deck, despite using off, but I dont think they let it go long enough. I think it says it takes 15 minutes or so.

As far as my draw length, I shoot my bow fine at 28 with a loop or 29 without, I cant really tell a difference.

Now I'm off to the shop to get my strings,
Old 09-04-2007, 11:09 AM
Typical Buck

Hi team, I'm back in the saddle and ready to get in the stand more than ever. I just took my family to Monterey, CA for Labor Day weekend and we had a great time and stayed in a lodge by the ocean. What was cool, was along with all the activities Monterey has to offer the blacktail were all around the lodge area and they were in rut. I actually pulled into a parking lot on Sat. at the lodge and got out of the car and there was a doe pawing a scrape and pee'd in it right in front of me.Other does were in the area walking around and bedding down out our window. I got some pictures I'll post this week. The highlight was on Saturday night by the volleyball courts there was a place to have a fire so we did. While we were there we looked across the court and there were 8 does walking quietly. We didn't even hear them and they were 20 yards away. I started walking there way and I heard something to my right in the small funnel of woods and there was a spike jogging to cut the does off. I walked over to a fence that separated the court to the woods to get apicture ofthe spike that had stopped and then the big boy came! He came out of no where running through the woods towards the does. I was only about 10 yards from him and he was definately a mature buck with a high rack...it was awesome!!! Oh man it would have made a perfect bow opportunity if I could have stopped him. I got buck fever after that. We continued so see does here and there but that was the only time I saw that buck. One other cool encounter with a doe was when my family and I were walking on a path to the beach when I saw a doe running down a sand dune to my right heading our direction. My wife was about 20 yards behind me. I yelled at her to look. Sure enough that doe ran and jumped over the path right in between us. If I had my camera I could have had a picture of a doe in the air with my wife in the background on the path. How cool would that have been? Glad to be back, ready to get in the woods.
Old 09-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Mike,
Sounds like you had a great weekend!Boy if you combine a beautiful area with excellent hunting,that is about as good as it gets!
I hope your family had a gret time!
Old 09-04-2007, 12:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jarrod,

You do have to give them a little time to work. We've used them for deck partied and they worked great there too.

Mike,

Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend. Ocean front vacationand deer running around to boot.

Quick Reply: 19-Official Team Quiet Arrow Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.