Community
2007 Bowhunting Contest Find your 2007 Bowhunting Deer Contest information here. Caution: Smack Talk ahead!

6 - Official Team SBD Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 6 - Official Team 6 Thread

The groundblind is in an amazing spot. I had a hard time deciding on where to put it because these woods are so tore up with deer and turkey sign. It's crazyness! A little bonus i found while scouting the woods. It's an old tire dump and there's stuff strewn about the property. I looked over and there was a big spool of wire, i took my knife and peeled it back.... it's like winning the powerball! over 100 pounds of copper wire!!! Holy crap! Sounds like my truck fund got a little boost in itI had that thing home and locked up in the garage faster than you can blink[8D]but yea, when i was scouting i saw two big does. It's the woods between a huge bedding area on a hill and a foodsource. They come down the hill and into the corn feilds to feed. Great spot!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

well i went out into the good blind. but, I only saw a small doe. She was so close to the blind that she was eating the leaves off the stuff i brushed my blind in with! pretty cool! I'll be out there in the morning though, 6:30!
Old 09-29-2007, 07:17 PM
Typical Buck

Go get um Squirrelkilla......
Old 09-30-2007, 05:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Took my 15 year old out in the evening. He was about to haul his bow up when a young 9 pointer, (probably 80-90") came right in to him and then came right past me at about 8 yards. Too bad he wasnt quite ready. It would have been a great first archery buck for him. the good news is that he didnt bust either one of us so maybe the kid will get another crack at him later.

PS My landowner saw the big boy again just a couple days ago. I'll be back outthere Monday since PA is still in the stone age and still doesnt allow Sunday hunting
Old 09-30-2007, 07:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang, that's too bad BTB, but good news for you with the buck!

This morning, nothing. I got a headache so i came back home at 9. I'll be out in the evening for sure!
Old 09-30-2007, 03:44 PM

Well guys, yesterday morning didn't start out exactly how I wanted it. I set my alarm on my cell phone for 5 a.m. and for some reason it went off at 4 a.m. Well, I just turned my phone off and set my actual alarm for 5:15 a.m. and went back to sleep. I wake up not to the sound of my alarm but to sunlight hitting my eyes, I roll over and Tiffany woke up and I just said "I can't believe this". My alarm never went off, apparently it is broke so I didn't get up till 8 a.m. and it wasn't worth heading out and messing up an area by spooking deer on the way in.

Yesterday evening Tiffany and I headed out to try and get her her first buck/deer ever. We jumped 3 doe right as we walked from the landowners backyard into a clearing in the woods where he has a gazebo and party area set-up. We headed over to our stands and get settled in at 4:00 p.m. At 5:10 p.m. those does walk right behind me and head towards a golden rod field. Tiffany was set up about 60 yards from me and she couldn't see these deer. As the afternoon went on I quickly realized that the oaks in that party area were really dropping acorns because I watched deer after deer come out and feed in there while we had nothing near us. I did have 8 doe come in right under my stand, first was a doe with her two fawns and they were literally right below me munching on acorns when the other group (2 doe and 3 fawns) started moving in and they were spooking each other. The does were all stomping at each other and they would snort at each other then run for a little bit and come back to check each other out. It was kind of frustrating but it was fun to watch. I also watched a fawn nurse off its mothers which seemed very strange for this part of the season, especially because it was a fairly large fawn already!

I'll be out tomorrow morning with my buddy in a area that looks like my best spot for an early season brute.
Old 09-30-2007, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well, it's good to hear some of you guys are seeing bucks. I went out this weekend after hunting NJ looking for my earn-a-buck doe, and PA's early antlerless seasontrying to fill the freezer. Guess what? Of course, nothing but does all right under my stand offering tons of shots. One of them would have gone down if I didn't shoot one on Thursday.

Anyway, no bucks yet. I've seen a lot of 1.5 year olds, and a 2.5 year old 8 point that I'm on the fence on. I have stayed out of my good buck spot, and plan on hitting that a lot this week.

I start a new job soon so I won't get to hunt that spot very much after this week, and don't know how much I'll be able to hunt at all during the week, but I do have some spots close to where the job is so I should be able to get out before daylight savings time kicks in.

Well, good luck to all, and squirrelkilla, shoot what makes you happy (but good luck on one of the big dawgs).
Old 09-30-2007, 05:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Big bucks make me happyand does, i'm trying to kill a doe but, I only saw 4 today and they were 80 yards away, no shot so far. I'm going to try and hunt my riverbottom spot tomorrow. Should pay off very well if it goes as planned, of course when does that ever happen[8D]
Old 10-02-2007, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys...i was wondering why i hadnt heard much from anyone in a while...somehow my subscription to this thread got canceled so i wasnt gettin emails telling me people were writing on here [:@]

Anyway, hows everyone been? Any close calls?

I got a doe sunday evening. Trying to thin some out of my doe honey hole. Good thing is that theres no big bucks in this patch right now so im not disturbing them by thining out some does...

Old 10-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Had a bad evening last night. Shot a doe a little far back last night. The hit I saw and arrow definitely indicatedliver shot. I waited a bit before taking up the track and the dry conditions made the sparse blood trail very dark. I reluctantly gave up last night when the blood petered out very quickly making me question whether the deer needed more time to expire.The heat and the nasty place she went also hadmy tired oldticker acting up so I also had to quitdue toa little bit of chest pains)
I went out first thing this morning. It took me till 11 AM to find her by following tracks and finding specks of blood every 10-20 yards even though she only went about 200 yards.(she went into a real brush choked area and most of my tracking was on my knees) By that time the hindquarters were half eaten and there were a couple thousand big green blowflies all over her. By the fact that some scavenger had eaten a good part of the hindquarters, I'd guess she died very quickly. The shotbarely caught the back edge of the lungs and the liver. Not great but definitely lethal.

Based on the sign I had last night, the best odds were to wait till morning but with the temperatures we have right now, the best bet didnt pay off

Quick Reply: 6 - Official Team SBD Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.