Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 24- Team Hardwood Hunters Official Thread >

24- Team Hardwood Hunters Official Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

24- Team Hardwood Hunters Official Thread

Old 01-04-2007, 07:22 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: 24- Team Hardwood Hunters Official Thread

Hey hazcon, yeah it is a funny thing to predict here, mid january is normally right but with the weather we have had the last 2 seasons and the weather we are expecting here next week the rut happens at night mainly, you see a few deer here and there but as wee all know the big one really do not like 65degtree weather.
Its a hard one, and a very frustrating one
Old 01-05-2007, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've just returned from an unsuccessful desert mule deer hunt in Arizona (only in the sense that I did not harvest a deer). I had a gas! Hunting this wiley critter is more challenging than I ever imagined! The deer are few and far in between. Moreover, they are difficult to spot in this desert landscape. I hunted my hinny off! I saw a total of 40 deer (10 bucks, 30 does) in a week's time. The bucks were all small spikes and fork horns...I saw one shooter but never had a chance at him. The rut, which was supposed to be in its prime, was running late. All in all, this trip opened my eyes to a whole new way of thinking about desert deer. They should not be taken for granted!

The icing on the cake came in the form of a perfect pressure flaked arrow head (maybe from an Apache). I found it while checking for tracks at a waterhole. The point gave me a sense of comfort knowing that a past archer had been to this very same location. It made me wonder if he had missed, or perhaps, he had a clean pass through.....?

Enjoy the photos!

http://hunting.sendphotos.com/Home.aspx?I6W6SS
Old 01-05-2007, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome pictures!!! You have talent!
Old 01-11-2007, 09:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well fellas, Illinois archery season ends today at sundown and I'm not going to get off of work in time to give it one last try. Actually I hunted so hard pre-rut and rut that I was finding it hard lately to get motivated enough to brave the cold and wind.
So I'm going to have to eat my archery tags this season.
I had a lot of good deer around me I just got too picky about which ones to take.
Luckily for me though I shot a decent buck 1st season shotgun so I have meat in the freezer.

Good luck to the rest of you, especially you southern boys. Sorry I couldn't help the team out.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Typical Buck

unlucky hazcon, unlucky. It looks like i will not get anything as well with my bow this year. Thankfully i don't have to buy any tags here
Old 02-06-2007, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

Well men, the season has come and gone, though unlucky i can't complain, saw come great sights, meet some new people and made it home safe and sound each time..