Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > The Archives > The Archives > 2006 Deer Hunting Contest
 (20) Official Team "XX" Thread >

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Community
2006 Deer Hunting Contest All of your 2006 Deer Hunting Contest info can be found here.

(20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Old 10-26-2006, 06:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Well guys I just got back from turkey hunting with my bow. And wouldnt you kknow it, I had a monster of a buck walk by me checking his scrapes. I watched him coming for about 50 yards, and he must have checked a half a dozen scrapes, when he stepped into my only shooting lane, I drew and stopped him with a mth grunt, 20 yard shot, and it went inches over his back!!![:@] I couldnt believe it! I didnt even bother to count points, but I know there was at least 6 on each side plus some trash, and a couple inches past his ears. I just about fell out of my tree, he probably wasnt huge to some guys, but for around here, its the biggest one I have seen.[] He had no idea that I was there, othere than when I mouth grunted at him, and when I shot, he ran off about 75 yards, and stopped and looked back for a while, then just walked off. Do you think he will come back????
Old 10-27-2006, 07:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man, sounds like we were into some major action last night.BD - keep after 'em, and don't dwell on it man. Funny how those big boys have a way of staying alive, isn't it?

On my hunt last night, I managed to have my first run-in with a true shooter. I hit up a field corner that I've left alone all season, and when I got there, I was not pleased to learn that the farmer had just plowed the entire field under, leaving it a huge mud bowl. So, against my better judgment, I sat over the field corner anyway, instead of slinking down over the bank to the bench and thicket below.

Well, at 5:45, I heard deer come in below, and it was basically steady deer activity until dark on the bench below me.

At 6:10, I had two deer move across from left to right, one large spike and another deer that sounded pretty heavy (maybe fifty yards) but my visibility was shrouded by a leafy maple that blocked my view. I just saw feet and bodies, flashes of deer. Then, coming out from the right, I heard that heavy marching - crunch. crunch. crunch. crunch. I knew this deer was big. He sounded like he was a good bit heavier on the hoof thanother deer. Just then, saw one glimpse of head- a HUGE buck with a dark, chocolate rack. For sure, I made a right G2 and G3 that both pushed 8-10". This time, I hooked the release onto the string, and I meant it. There was no "maybe this, maybe that." No. This was it. I prayed to God, Buddha, Saint Francisof Assisi, Jesus, Mary, Peter, Paul and the Ghost of Davey Crockettthat this deer would come up the hill.

Once it was obvious that he wasn't coming up to the field, I gave a few soft grunts, and the spike started up the hill,Mr. Bigfollowed. It was all just a tease, because he hung up at 40 and thrashed a tree while the spikebuck came in to 30 yards, gave a look, and worked his way back down. 10 more yards, and he was in an open lane. 10 more yards.

They worked their way backdown the bank andfooled around in a thicket, making a huge ruckus, deer came and went, they ran around, but nothing up over the top. By my best estimate, I saw eight. Three bucks, one shooter.

I slipped out at dark, and I will hunt that thicket again tonight if I can.

I really don't think anyone is hunting this area, so I'll get a good crack at this buck. I think he has a scrape line down there, because I could hear him pawing in the leaves, and really tearing stuff up, but I'm sure part of that was him just challenging the subdominants (and me grunting up over the bank) to tangle if they dare. If he comes through there again tonight, he's got major problems. It's a nice thicket that opens for a hundred yards or so, then leads right into another thicket. A gap between two solid bedding areas. If I can keep the area clean, I stand a pretty good chance in there tonight or Saturday morning.

EDIT:
By the way, what do you guys think about hunting in the rain this time of year? I arrowed my biggest buck in a cold november rain (props to me for the Guns'n'Roses reference- yes, that was intentional) Tonight/Tomorrow is supposed to be a soaker, and I don't want to get pneumonia, but I don't want to miss a cruising buck. Input requested.
Old 10-27-2006, 09:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Big Daddy and Quick...you guys are in em! Right on...its only a matter of time, stay after em.

Bigdaddy, did that buck actually see you in your tree when you missed? If there is a hot doe in there and hes the king of that area, he will be back! Kill him!

Quick, you've worked so hard this year, passed up a lot of bucks! Your gonna get a crack at that buck tonight! Best of luck!

I hunted behind my place last night. I saw one good buck but he was 200 yards away, I grunted to him, he didnt respond. He seem pre-occupied with his vittles. LOL We are just a tad bit later in rut behavior out west. Things will start heating up real soon. I wont hunt tonight. Church with the family instead. (we go on friday nights here after worksince we live so far from town.)

Tomorrow morning, I will back at my "Ole Grey" morning stand..He's gotta move through this funnel sooner or later. I am about 250 yards from his bedding area in the most perfect little hour-glass shaped section of big timber. Same place I saw him two weeks ago. I got some good news this week about the land behind my home too. Now only myself the land owner and my one neighbor have permission to use it. I and the owner bowhunt my neighbor doesnt. The owner lives over 50 miles away.

Bestwishes to all you guys this weekend! Mike, William, Mark, Dave, Fran, Ryan,Anthony, Jeff, Darren!

Troy

Old 10-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Man we are gettin close and havin action. Just a matter of time now.

I ventured out this evening trying to beat the monsoon. I did pretty good. Only started getting significant rain the last 30 minutes. I saw 6 deer, 1 small buck chasing a bunch of does around.

Tomorrow's adventure will depend on the rain. Downpour, I sleep in and hope the rain eases and head out when/if it does. Tomorrow is one of my favorite most productive days to hunt, but I can't see sitting in a downpour with 30+ mph winds.

Good luck guys.
Old 10-29-2006, 04:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

I skipped out in the morning, but made it out later in the day to hunt from the ground. We were getting 50 mph gusts and let me tell you, even on the ground that is scary hoping nothing falls on your head. I saw 13 deer many of which were in range, it was easy to just sneak right in on em. I had a decent little 8 pt come by, still not what I am looking for. I found a real nice area that I'm pumped to hunt also.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Rybo - I went to a halloween party last night, so I didn't get out.

Unfortunately, I was able to hunt both Friday night and Saturday morning, which were complete washouts. Friday night was just steady, soaking rain with some wind, a few rumbles of thunder. Saw two, a smallish buck and a doe, both on the way in. Saturday morning was miserable. I was in the stand at 6:45, lightning hammering all around, whipping winds, steady heavy rain. It started out at 55 degrees, but by 11:00, the temps were dropping like a rock, and it started spitting snow. I saw a possum and a skunk and got drenched to the bone like a soaked rat. By 11, I couldn't take any more, so I swallowed my pride and admitted defeat for the day.

My dryer has been running double-time over the past two days.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Put them down boys, All of you had horns on the ground by this time last year, good luck.
Old 10-30-2006, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Team 17 has another one to post. They are rocking!
Old 10-30-2006, 07:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Hey fellas, looks like we're falling behind, but I'm sure we'll start checking a few in soon.

I went out this morning before work - saw five: three doe, two buck - both small. One unidentified and one was the same spike I saw Saturday. I'm gonna leave the area settle down a bit, b/c I noticed that Mr. Big hasn't cleared his scrapes lately, so I think I might've gotten a little too close for comfort. I'll go back in for him on Saturday. He should be settled down by then.

Dave - has your champagne hangover worn off yet? I was happy to see you guys pull it out.

Man am I sleepy, this is gonna be a long day at the office.
Old 10-30-2006, 08:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I went Sat morning, afternoon and Sunday morning. I saw nothing Sat AM, drew back on a doe Sat evenening, but it was getting dark, and I had a hard time seeing through my peep, so I let down. Saw a faox Sunday morning, and didn't go last night, instead moved a couple of stands that weren't producing. I hope my luck changes soon....this year has been frustrating to say the least.

Quick Reply: (20) Official Team "XX" Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.