Community
2005 Deer Hunting Contest (Bow) All discussions involving the 2005 Bowhunting Deer Contest go here.

Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Old 09-24-2005, 10:34 AM

Default RE: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Didn't get anything yet. I got busted by a doe last night while I was pulling back on her. Going after her again tonight. I wilol be deer hunting for 4 more days and then I am going to Wyoming hunting for mule deer and antelope. Good luck
Old 09-26-2005, 08:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hail team Mailmen!!!

I am back from the Rockies of the west and ready to contribute to a whoopin on the rest (of the teams that is)!

A bull elk is on the score board for old AE, albeit doesn't count for anything.He isn't a giant by any means but it does break a dry spell for me in terms of elk hunting. If I get a chance I will post a story of this falls wapiti experience later in the week or perhaps even next week. I am so far behind on my projects I have to look up to see yesterday!!

Additionally I am still way behind where I normally am in terms of stands up, but by the time the rut rolls around I will be locked, cocked, and ready to rock baby!

Old 09-27-2005, 01:25 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

Antler Eater

Good to see you are back. Congrats on your Bull. Looking forward to the story and pictures!!

I am so far behind on my projects I have to look up to see yesterday!!
ummm... it's "look up to see down". You haveto look into tomorrow to see yesterday. Then you put off todaywhat can be done tomorrow. ThankGod tomorrow is always a day away!! Especially at this time when you should be hunting and getting your priorities straight!! Nuff Said!!

Congrats again on the bull!!

Hey mammasboy scored on a buck. Looks likehe sandbagged on you last year also. Wonder what his excuse was?? Well that or you jinxed us last year. hmmmmmmm... darn you!! It wasn't us, it was you!![:@][:@] Going to have to watch the other old team mates now to see how they do. I think I am on to something. Your a jinx!! LOL

Tim
Old 09-27-2005, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Welcome back Antler Eater.Congrats on the bull,cant wait to see some pics and hear the story on how you got him.Now lets get one for the team,thats a big buck that is .Your not a jinx,are you---just kiddin.

24/7 hunter----good luck with the doe,maybe even a nice buck will come along,lets just keep our fingers crossed.Good luck to you as well with the mulleys and antelope in Wyoming.

SIDEWAYS-----hope the trip to texas went well.Good luck on your afternoon hunts.

Good luck to the rest of the team,for the rest of us we will be in the woods in 4 days.Cant wait.I was packing things up the other nite,getting my suit ready for the laundry,finding all my calls,rattling antlers,gloves,etc.Wife said ,what the heck are ya doing,you still got a week before opener and your running around the house with your head cut off.I just laughed and told her I want to be sure Im ready.
She said I was driving her crazy and told me I am moving out of the house next year from October to December.She said she cant handle the talking and whining all the time.I really dont know what she is talking about.You know how women can get.
Old 09-27-2005, 06:34 AM

Congratulations Antler Eater!

"He isn't a giant by any means..."

I thought you said getting one was just icing on the cake.Anyway, I'm sure it was an awesome experience and one mose of us would love to have. Look forward to your story when you get a chance to post it.

TJF, are you sure Antler Eater was a jinx or were you guys just too distracted by his cheerleading outfit?

Good luck 24/7, SIDEWAYS, and Extreme on your upcoming hunts and to everyone else on the team who is out there.

Extreme, here is an idea you should run by your wife that will really get her worked up. My friend has a small amount of money deducted out of each paycheck that goes right into a savings account earmarked for hunting equipment. It's not a lot out of each paycheck, but over the year, it adds up and he uses the money (and no more) to buy what he "needs" once a year. FYI - my wife didn't like the idea.

Went out for a few hours after work last night and didn't see a thing. Took Illinois Bowhuntin's advice and set up more than 75 yards downwind but didn't see anything. Thanks for the advice Illinois Bowhuntin'. I'm sure it is good advice but just nothing around last night (that I saw at least). But I guess I didn't spook anything either.Mosquitos are still swarming everywhere. I think I asked this before but does anyone use a thermacell? Do they work? May have to get one next year.

Old 09-28-2005, 05:59 PM
Typical Buck

well, I have been out the last 2 evenings and not seen anything. It has still been a little warm around here. The mornings have been really nice, especially since I cannot get out in the mornings [:'(]
I will be going out Saturday all day, so we shall see.
How is everyone else's hunts going?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well,I will be out saturday and sunday for sure.I plan on being in my stand about 1 hour before light and spending a good part of the day just sitting there and enjoying the woods,and hopefully tagging a big buck.I will be spending the rest of the day in my afternoon stand waiting for the deer to filter into the corn field.
I just heard the weather this morning,long range forcast predicts beautiful weather all weekend with no wind and clear skies.Only problem is its supposed to get real warm in the afternoons.Like 22c on sat and 24 on sun.The mornings are cool here with frost once this week.If I tag one this weekend I will probably put my deer in a freezer at the butchers.The manager there is a friend and hunts in the gang..
SIDEWAYS----where do you have your stands located?
Just wondering because this time of year its good to be about 30-40 yards in the woods bordering a field,preferably corn,soya or the like.Try to intercept them from bedding to feeding and you will definately see alot more.
Chuck----I tried the saving money from each cheque and it didnt work,always spent it faster then I saved it---lol
My wife would be fine with it though,especially If I want to by some more stands for next year.
If you are asking about a thermacill go to team 1 and ask nubo(john)He is a great guy and im sure he has one and will tell you anything you need to know about them.
Well its the morn,worked all night and I am heading off to bed.Good luck guys.
Hopefully we hear how the other team members are making out soon.We havent heard from a few of them in a while.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:01 AM

Good luck tomorrow Extreme! And to everyone else. Antler Eater, are you just sitting around or are you out there getting stands ready? Sheesh. Let's see a pic of that Elk. And a story.

I am going to move my ladder stand to a better location tommorrow and give ita week to settle down before trying again. I've noticed that most of the does are taking a new route this year. I don't believe it's in relation to me hunting a few times. In fact, Ihaven't seen them using the old trail they used last fall/winter at all this summer of fall. I just assumed they they must be. They seem to have moved up closer to the edge of the woods (about 100 yards from where my stand is now) They travel into our woods from an alfalfa field just across the road, then stay about 30 - 50 yards deep, before slinking into a thick, nasty slough on the neighbor's property to nap. Anyway, rambling on, but I'm going to try and put the stand into a clump of trees near the edge of their travel area but far enough back that they won't walk right into me.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:16 AM

WELL?

How was everyone's weekend? Any action out there in the deerstands? I didn't get out except to move my ladder stand closer to some hot trails on Saturday. Hope to get out there tomorrow night or this weekend for sure. I get Columbus Day (next Monday)off so I think I'll go all day then.

My neighbor gun hunts every November on his land and I put my stand up about 100 yards from the property line because that puts me in a good position to intercept them from where they enter the woods from the alfalfa field. He came down his driveway while I was hanging the stand and stopped his truck and watched me for like 10 minutes. It was starting to get eeery. He must not be too happy. But we had a friendly talk about how I planned to bowhunt and sometimes gun hunt earlier this year. I did that as a courtesy (want to get along with him) and so we could both be safe and aware of where one another was during hunting. Oh, well. I think 100 yards is far enough away from the line and I am on my land.
Old 10-03-2005, 11:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well guys,went out saturday morn and nothing moving.The deer arent using the corn field as much as I assumed they were.And to make matters worse my soyabean field has been plowed up on friday,day before opener.I havent noticed this intill I left my stand and started the drive home.No deer using this field in the evenings.Oh well,I got lots of time and more tricks under my belt.
I was in my stand at about 5:30 in the morn.It was warm to the point I was starting to sweat going in.The temp was around 11c in the morn(around 52f)The deer just arent moving in this warm weather.The afternoons are even hotter reaching 22c on saturday(76f).Now sunday was even worse hitting a high of 26c.
I did see some deer and jumped a nice buck in one of the fields walking out sat nite.Way to dark to shoot but seen his outline and he was a dandy.Good to know he is hanging around.Must be using the corn field in the middle of the nite and heading back to the woods in the dark.Sat nite also presented about a dozen turkeys strutting around(no fall season)
I went out sunday morn with nothing moving around.Sunday afternoon was just way to hot to hunt.
The weather is going to be warm all week,but heard rumors that its supposed to hit a high of 8c by saturday(48f)this will be perfect weather,and just might try my hand at some rattling.I am working afternoons this week and hopefully will get out on some morns.As long as the nites are cool,I will be good to go.
Chuck----next mon is our thanksgiving holiday.I got 3 days of non-stop hunting---with the weather cool.no wind and frosty in the morn---I am keeping my fingers crossed.
Good luck guys ,and lets get one on the board

Quick Reply: Official Team Mail Men (9) thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.