Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 Is this a good time to go hunting? detailed in post >

Is this a good time to go hunting? detailed in post

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is this a good time to go hunting? detailed in post

Old 10-29-2006, 08:11 AM
Spike

Default Is this a good time to go hunting? detailed in post

Hello everybody,
I think I'm going to go hunting tommorrow, but I would like to ask some advice to make sure I'm not wasting a day off of work. I live in south dakota and it is ussually pretty windy here, and I have never really seen the deer affected by strong winds. So, the weather tommorrow calls for high winds(which actually keeps my scent from swirly better), and sunrise is 7:19AM, then at 11AM or so it is suppost to start raining/snowing/whatever. Oh, and the temperature has been in the mid 60s the last three days and tommorrow is suppost to be a high of like 35. the weather channel says the rain/snow should stop around 5PM and sunset is at 5:30PM. Is this a good day to hunt? I was thinking about an all dayer, should I do that? Thanks for the advice!
Old 10-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Is this a good time to go hunting? detailed in post

From what I have experienced most of the time when hunting pressure starts and the deer get wary they will not tend to move around much on windy days . But that is a good time to put your stalking skills to the test. You will still see deer in the deep bush moving around just not as much out in openings or clearings. At least thats how it is here for the most part.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Spike

The best time to go deer hunting is any time the season is open. I went yesterday morning with the wind gusting to 20 MPH. Didn't see anything. I do not like hunting in the wind. Climbing stand stability is a factor too.
Old 10-29-2006, 01:34 PM
Spike

We only have one rifle season open here right now, and I am a bowhunter. this coming weekend is opening rifle for the area I hunt. So, I really don't think, or at least haven't seen much pressure yet, and I also am hunting on private land. I will be hunting heavy trails at the bottom of wooded drawsby an old dried up creek bed.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

The deer in my avatar was shot in 25 mile per hour wind. If you can bear the wind and rain/snow all day then I say go for it.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:35 PM
Typical Buck

with that cooling in the temps and the upcomming snow\rain that might just be what the doctor ordered.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:36 PM
Typical Buck

I went the other evening - it was windy all day - wind died down toward sundown. Killed two deer with muzzleloader.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:55 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like brutal conditions, deer should keep moving.