Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Regional Forums > West
Archery Elk Hunting >

Archery Elk Hunting

Community
West MT, CO, WY, NM, NV, UT, CA, ID, WA, OR, AZ, HI, AK

Archery Elk Hunting

Old 01-21-2003, 07:53 PM

Default Archery Elk Hunting

Looking for information on archery elk hunting in Colorado, Montana, Wyoming or Idaho. Want to hunt Public Land. Can any one give me any good leads in these states.
Old 01-22-2003, 08:17 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Archery Elk Hunting

Are you hunting by yourself or is this father & son or a group? How long do you want to hunt? Do you have horses or are you planning to hunt on foot and hope to enter the woods from trailheads. What kind of physical shape are you in. Most folks need this type of info before they can help so get back to us. elknut1.

www.elknut.com
Bugling Bulls & Beyond!
Old 01-22-2003, 09:01 PM

I should have given more information to my request on hunting ELK in the West. I hunted last year in South Dakota in the Black Hills, this was my First Archery Elk Hunt and Second Elk Hunt. I know the elevation will be higher but I consider myself to be in good shape. During my hunt last year I hiked 18 miles one day. My plan is to walk no horses but maybe a 4 wheeler. Want to hunt 7 days, will have one other person maybe group of four age 30 to 40.
Thanks for the help.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:50 PM

Jim1,
Idaho is a great state for bowhunting elk.
You can hunt even the best units by purchasing an over the counter tag.
North Idaho is very thick, I would recommend it only to very experienced hunters. S of the Salmon river there are many good areas, Eastern Idaho has some excellent units.
The biologists at the Fish and Game are usually an excellent resource to get you started in the right direction. Most of Idaho is public land so there is no problem finding a place to hunt.
Old 01-25-2003, 09:23 AM

You might just need to do a little research and figure out where you really want to go. Most people are not going to give you a really good spot to hunt because they probably hunt there if it is that good. You can either get some maps and look for roadless areas and try to do a little scouting before you actually go there and hunt. If that is not possible you can call the fish and game and they can give you a lot of info. What ever you do I'm sure you are going to have a blast. There is nothing quite like hunting elk with a bow. Try to line up your hunt in the middle of the rut. Sometime in september. The latter part being the best and most exciting. Learn how to call if you don't already know how. A reed in your mouth is probably the most versatile and most authentic. Try some tapes and videos and try to mimic an elk as close as possible. This is the most important key to get them in close enough for a bow shot. You might try elknut1 web site. www.elknut.com Hope this is helpful.
BowElkDwn
Old 02-04-2003, 02:43 PM

jim1, I have bowhunted both Idaho and Wyoming on my own. I'm from NY so we had to do a ton of research. We were succesful on both hunts in 2000 we took 2 elks and a moose out of Wyoming. Then in 2002 we took one elk out of Idaho. In wyoming 4 wheeelers are only allowed so far but if your in good shape its do able. Be prepared for Grizzlies though. I hunted outside of Dubois near Tripod peak real good elk country. Then in Idaho we hunted the Dworshack unit near Pinot Butte but like noway said this is rough country, no place for amateurs. These holes are steep, thick, and weather changes quickly. No grizzlies here though just a ton of blacks. We had a nice hunt though and all the locals we bumped into were very helpful and nice. It took us awhile to locate elk here because the terrain took us so long to cover ground. Four wheelers would help here but the holes are to thick to get them in much further than the roads.
Old 02-17-2003, 07:04 PM

Any of thesestates will provide a good hunt, would probably lean towards idaho then colorado either has tagfs for archery readily available do yuor research as much as you can then choose an area. i always use colorado as a fall back if not dfrawn anywhere else, you can buy nonres. tags the over thge counter when you get there.