Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Short draw with a short brace height? >

Short draw with a short brace height?

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Short draw with a short brace height?

Old 10-22-2003, 08:34 AM

Default Short draw with a short brace height?

Does it make it " easier" or should I say more forgiving to shoot the shorter brace height bows(sub 7" ) if you have a shorter draw length(27" )? I have read this on here a few times and I am trying to understand how and why this is true. Can someone help? Thanks!
I am going to get a new 2004 Bowtech when they come out and was thinkng about one of the shorter bh bows.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Short draw with a short brace height?

Let' s say we' ve each got a bow with a 6" brace height. You draw 27" , I draw 33" . Your power stroke is 21" . My power stroke is 27" . My arrow is on the string an extra 6" longer than your arrow is on your string. That' s an extra 6" of arrow travel, during which I' ve got to maintain my shot and follow through. It' s an extra 6" of travel where I' ve got a pretty good chance of making a mistake.

I don' t like bows with less than 8" brace. You, on the other hand, NEED the shorter brace to get a good power stroke behind the arrow for good speed.
Old 10-22-2003, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

The short brace height is a god send for us draw lenght challanged archers

With the shorter draw lenghts IMO 28" an under the short brace is not as critical as with the longer draw lenghts for the reason that the arrow is not on the string that long. But you are still going to need good form when using a short brace bow.

With the longer draw lenghts the arrow is on the string longer, it is easier to torque the bow with a short brace and long draw lenght.

The best info I can give you is to go and try the bow your interested in and see how the short brace feels to you if you dont like it then opt for say a Patriot Dually which has a larger brace but is really not giving up that much speed.

I have shot the short draw 03 Black Knight and found it to be a pleasure to shoot and I almost traded my 03 Pat Dually in on one but would have never been able to explain it to my wife[:' (] specially seeing I was at the pro shop picking up my Pro40 target bow.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:16 AM

Thanks for the info...so does the force draw curve become extremely harsh? I know I will just have to draw a few but any additional input would be great. I' m shooting the TomKat right now and I am looking at the Extreme VFT, Black Knight, and the Mighty Mite(which I know is 7.75 BH). Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2003, 09:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

DeerT I agree with the above , you should check out the patriot dualy allso .
Old 10-22-2003, 09:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Extreme VFT, Black Knight, and the Mighty Mite
I have not shot the MM but I have the other 2 as well as the Pat Dually and Pro40 Dually.

All the bows I shot where in the 60# range and I must admit that out of the ones i shot the Pat Dually had the harshest draw cycle I dont know if it has anything to do with the limb angle or not.

But in smoothness I would rate them as follows EX VFT as the smoothest a tie between the BK2 and Pro40 then the Pat Dually but not that much behind the others.

I opted for the Pat Dually this year because of the 7 7/8 brace height and the speed it puts out with that brace.

But like you said the best way for you to find out is to wait for the news ones to hit the shops and go and shoot the entire line up you just might be pleasantly surprised
Old 10-22-2003, 10:14 AM

Thanks again...my only concern with any of the duallys is the continuous tuning or at least that' s what I hear anyway. Do you have to continuously tinker or are they set and done(at least you hope anyway). Now I know you have to always check things and make sure everything is good I' m just not the techy guy I would like to be and don' t want to have a biweekly visit to the pro shop if I don' t have to.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

On this years bows all I had to do after the initial shoot in period was re synch the cams so they hit the back wall at the same time.

My Patriot was done after 200 shots and the Pro40 was done after 300 shots neither bow was put back into a vise to do any more timing and I shoot a lot
I would say since I got the Patriot back in January it has been shot 20k times and is still in perfect time.

With todays string materials and the way strings are made there is less creep or stretch unlike in 90' s where the strings stretched a lot and you had to continually tinker with the bow to keep them in time.

I was just talking to my wife and she has agreed to let me buy 1 bow[:' (] for next year and the Black Knight is on my very short list
Old 10-22-2003, 10:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

You' re a little bassackwards, DeerT. It' s the single cam that has the one continuous string and short buss cable. Duals have a short string and two buss cables.

The single cam bows I' ve owned went out of time a lot more often than my dual cam bows got out of synch. The advertising that promotes single cams and bashes duals is so far fetched and overblown that it would make even Ron Popiel proud. When averaged out, you have to retune each kind of bow about the same number of times a year. No real difference in maintenance needs.

Aussie' s right that we' re getting better materials to work with, but there still ain' t no such thing as a bow you can just set and forget.

Old 10-22-2003, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

DeerT, you' re getting some good info here. I have an 01 Mighty Mite and really like the bow but, I find it much more critical to form/shooter errors then my Pat Dually. The single cam bows are no more maintenance-free than duals. Besides, I find tinkering to be half the fun in archery. For 04 the Mighty Mite will be a VFT style bow. This may make it more shooter friendly. FYI there is a young girl shooting a BKII short brace with a 26 or 27" draw for Team BowTech. She won just about everything there was in 3D last year, in her class. This includes the IBO National Triple Crown and the IBO Worlds. Her scores from the HC class stakes would have put her right in there. Obviously a very shootable, fast bow. I don' t think the BKII will let you down. But then there are many other BowTechs to try out, also.