Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 arrow recommendation >

arrow recommendation

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

arrow recommendation

Old 03-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Fork Horn

Default arrow recommendation

Looking for some advice from you seasoned vets out there. As you can see in my sig, I'm shooting a Switchback XT maxed at 62# with a 26" DL. This fall will be my second year with the XT and I'm wantingto try a new arrow set-up to gain a little KE. I'm currently shooting Beman ICS Hunter 500's cut at 26" with an 85gr head on it. I'm not overly concerned about the speed loss because I can't be a speed freak shooting 26" DL and 62#. I'm wondering what arrow/tip weight recommendations you might have so I can gain a little KE without losing too much speed. I'm pretty comfortable shooting out to 40 yards and would like to keep that in my bag of tricks should I need it during a hunt.I'm shooting blazers by the way.

Thanks in advance for any input.
Old 03-12-2007, 04:40 PM

Default RE: arrow recommendation

Axis weigh a little more than your "normal" carbon arrow. You could shoot the 500's, but if you want a little weight you wouldn't hurt yourself shooting the 400's either. A little overspined, but I doubt it would be enough to negatively affect you.

If you want a little heavier still, look at the Beman BlackMax, same spine. They are a tad heavier than the Axis.

If you want a REALLY good arrow, but doesn't weight quite as much as either of those, check out Carbon Express Maxima Hunters, in a 250. Again, you could shoot the 150 as far as spine, but they are pretty light. Those are top notch arrows, and with their weight forward design you getgreat FOC and a little extra weight.

Ok, so....IF you forced me to nail something down, I would say the CX Maxima w/ a 100 grain head, but that's just me.
Old 03-12-2007, 05:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: arrow recommendation

I have to agree with Mobo on this one 400 is a little over spined ,but if you cranck the poundage up you should be just about right on .
Black Max's as well are a real good arrow and i'm sure you'll appreciate the slim design of these arrow's ,penetration is remarkable .

nubo