Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow recommendation for new kid >

Arrow recommendation for new kid

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow recommendation for new kid

Old 12-01-2004, 11:37 AM

Default Arrow recommendation for new kid

Hi all. I'm just getting started and have a question.

I've been given a bow to get started with, but all the arrows that came with it are basically trash, no fletching and/or nocks, some are bent, etc. The bow is an older Bear Whitetail Hunter, 30" draw, 46" axle-to-axle, and currently draw weight between 50-55 lbs. (based on what I can tell).

Since bow hunting season if over here in TX, I've got all year to practice, but I need something to practice with...arrows. From the looks of things, it appears that I need to get 30" shafts. But what type of arrow should I get? I know I need to focus on practice for now, so a nice general aluminum arrow will suffice. Any suggestions? The cheaper the better, but still allowing for good consistency. I also picked up a set of 125 gr field points yesterday, if that helps.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:44 AM

Default RE: Arrow recommendation for new kid

Does the bow have an overdraw on it (the rest) if it does, you then can shoot a shorter arrow. If not you will need to cut the arrows at least 1"-1.5" past the draw length, if your bow is set at 30" then a 31.5" arrow should be it, but yet pre-cut arrows do not go past 30". I would suggest that you make sure that the draw length is correct for you, and get it all checked out, then decide what to do with it.

A decent Easton Aluminum Shaft like the Gamegetter II should do just fine, just pick the spine for amount of weight you plan on shooting, and the length.
Old 12-01-2004, 11:52 AM

It does not have a rest on it at the moment, but I'm trying to get one installed on it this week.

I've seen numbers on some of the Easton arrows like 2117, 2216 and such. Anything with regards to that that I should focus on? Any particular one? Some of the things I've read up on try to specify a certain spine weight(?), what should I be looking for based on my current setup?

TIA...
Old 12-01-2004, 03:55 PM

Well, those #'s represent the spine of the arrow, it changes for draw length, and draw weight, and Broadhead/Field Point weight. A specific draw length, and weight is needed to determine the correct spine to choose.

But I will do the 31" Shaft with 55lb pull w/ 125gr B-head.

Either a 2219, or 2315 for the spine, this is not the fastest arrow, but offers good penetration. Any of the XX75's or XX78's will do just fine.

Heres the link to the shaft selecting site:

http://www.archeryoutdoors.com/shaft...afts/step1.tpl
Old 12-01-2004, 04:03 PM

Thanks for your insight. Now I have an idea of what I'm looking for.
Old 12-01-2004, 05:34 PM

The numbers on the shaft represent the size of the shaft. The first two numbers are the diameter in 64's of an inch, and the last two are the wall thickness in thousandths of an inch. And the XX75 or XX78 designates the type of alloy used to make the arrow. Like lets say you have a 2213 arrow. That means it is 22/64's of an inch around and the wall thickness is .13 of an inch. This determins how stiff the arrow will be (spine) and how heavy it will it be. When you look at the chart you will see they list several arrows for a set up of varying weights. Usually the one with the thinner wall thickness will be lighter, however it will have a larger diameter to make up for it.

The number one most important thing is to see if that bow fits you correctly. With compounds it is not one size fits all. The draw length needs to fit you, at least within an inch. Unless you are a pretty big guy that bow is most likely going to be too long for you. This will make it very difficult to shoot well.

Tell us more about your set up and how you plan on shooting, and your aproximate size, like how tall are you and stuff. Do you plan on shooting fingers or a release? That will make a difference as well. Are you going to use sights and a peep sight, or shoot without sights?

And in order to get the correct arrows you really need to know the exact draw weight and draw length, not "about" what it is.

But like I said, the most important part is that the bow fits you well. If it doesn't you most likely will not be able to shoot well enough to tell the difference between the right arrows and the wrong arrows.

Tell us more about your set up. If you want to know how to check draw length or determin what yours is let us know, or visit a local pro shop. That would be my best advice any way. Having good help could mean the difference between enjoying this sport and hating it.

Paul
Old 12-01-2004, 06:04 PM

Paul nailed it, have to make sure everything fits you, it will make a world of difference when it comes to you liking the sport or hating it.........
Old 12-02-2004, 08:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Paul L Mohr
Tell us more about your set up and how you plan on shooting, and your aproximate size, like how tall are you and stuff. Do you plan on shooting fingers or a release? That will make a difference as well. Are you going to use sights and a peep sight, or shoot without sights?
A little about me...
I'm 6'-0, 175 lbs (not the biggest guy on the block, but not the smallest either). I plan on using a release to shoot with. Bow already has sights and a peep sight installed.

I haven't located a shop near me yet. I have limited amounts of time in the evenings on weekdays, and with the holidays now approaching, weekends are getting pretty busy. My only free time is after my daughter goes to bed at night. That being the case, how do I determine my draw length? And how can you tell the exact draw weight? Anyway for me to figure this out at home?

One of my hunting partners lives 2 houses down and he has a bow, but hasn't hunted with it yet. He might be able to help me with some of this if we knew how to do it.
Old 12-02-2004, 09:58 AM

I don't have a lot of time right now Ken, but I will get back to you. I will post some links that will lead you to some very good information on archery and the such. You will just have to do the reading is all. And if you have any questions feel free to ask them. As far as the draw weight thing, pretty much gonna need a shop for that. Basically you need a pull scale, like what you would hang something on to measure it. Good ones are not cheap, and it is sort of tricky to do because of the let off on the bow. You have to really pay attention to the scale as you pull it down. It wouldn't hurt to have a shop check your draw length either, but we may be able to help you out with that.

Be patient, we will get you straightened out eventually.

I highly suggest finding a shop, even if you have to drive a good distance to get there or make an apointment. There are lots of guys from texas here and on other forums I go to. Maybe they could suggest a good shop near you if you tell us where in that city you live. I went to the airforce base for basic training there, but never set foot in the city, so I don't know anything about it. And that was a long time ago as well. Other than I know it's FREAKIN hot there in the summer!

Good luck,
Paul
Old 12-02-2004, 10:07 AM

Thanks for the help, Paul.

I'm not in a big hurry as we just got our first cold-snap 2 days ago. Got down to 30* at night for the first time this season. (I know that's warm for some of you guys up North!) I've got plenty of time.

On another note, what would be a good way to build up my arm strength (other than actually drawing the bow)? I spent about half an hour last night playing around with the bow and now I can feel a little soreness in the backs of my arms.

Quick Reply: Arrow recommendation for new kid

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.