Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Technical
 Arrow Rest Recommendation Needed >

Arrow Rest Recommendation Needed

Community
Technical Find or ask for all the information on setting up, tuning, and shooting your bow. If it's the technical side of archery, you'll find it here.

Arrow Rest Recommendation Needed

Old 08-19-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Arrow Rest Recommendation Needed

Hi everyone I am new to the forum and I was hoping you could provide a recommendation for a new arrow rest. I stillconsider myself as somewhat of a beginner when it comes to archery so I need some help. This is rather lenghty so you might want to grab a cup of coffee.

I shoot a Darton Avalanch set at 60# and have been using carbon express CX200 arrows with fixed broadheads. I use a TRU Ball release and have a peep on the string. The arrow rest is a NAP Quick Tune 2000. I have been using this setup for about 3 years now and has been very accurate and reliable for me with one exception and that is hunting in very cold weather. This is more of a problem with the shooter than the equipment so I will try to explain my problem.

I do my deer hunting in Michigan where I reside. Most of the year I have no problem with the setup. However I like to go to the Upper Penninsula a few daysbefore the November 15 gun deer opener and hunt with my bow. Temperatures are typically quite cold and the weather is wet but the buck are rutting heavily there during that time. Hunting in the cold I have blown a couple of excellent opportunities on nice bucks because I had trouble keeping the arrow on the prongs of the rest when going to full draw. Body is stiff, shivering from the cold, etc. Also I should add that I hunt almost exclusively on the ground during that early November period.

To help me during the cold weather I was considering changing to a Whisker Buscuit rest. However I have heard mixed reviews of this rest when used in freezing weather.

I have been looking at some fall away rests like the Ripcord and Trophy Ridge Drop Zone among others. They all seem to have their devoted followers.

Im not bashing the NAP Quicktune as I think it is fine rest especially for the money. Does anyone have a recommendation for a rest that would help me during the cold weather? (I will work on some warmer cloths too)

Any help you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks. Mike

Old 08-19-2007, 10:57 AM

Default RE: Arrow Rest Recommendation Needed

That's a just one reason I am not a fan of 2 prong rests....and I have others, but I digress.

A full containment rest is good because there is no chance of the arrow falling off. WB's are pretty hard on vanes, but a more rigid vane such as the blazers work very well. I've not heard of any problems w/ the WB in freezing temps, and I just can't think of a good reason why it wouldn't...

The Drop Zone is a fantastic fall away rest. The arrow merely rests on your shelf, which is of course covered w/ moleskin, and picks the arrow up as you draw. Not much chance of it falling off that one either. Wet, freezing weather MAY be an issue, if the spring freezes up.....But I can't imagine it would be frozen enough that it wouldn't "break loose" when you draw.

If I'm buying it, I'm getting the Drop Zone, but that's just me.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:10 AM

Well the first thing I would tell you is you are probably over bowed. Then I would take a look at how your arrow is nocked on the string. Are you using a string loop or a cushion under the arrow with the release attached directly to the string. You may be getting nock pinch causing the arrow to move around while you draw.

If you are shooting more than 60 lbs I would consider dropping your draw weight to see if that helps you draw more smoothly.

Yes you could get a WB, they work great for spot and stalk hunting. And there are some fine drop a ways on the market. I like the Muzzy and the drop zone myself. Functionally there is nothing wrong with the WB, I just don't like setting them up and adjusting them is all. Then again the NAP 2000 isn't my favorite rest to work with either. I prefer the 3,000 with the extra adjustments.

It will probably cost you money either way, if you drop your draw weight you may need different arrows. Maybe not though.

You could also mess with how the prongs cradle your arrow. You might be able to make them a bit more stable. Some have set ups where the arrow sits pretty precariously on the prongs. You should be able to set it up so you can jiggle the bow some and still have the arrow stay on the prongs. When I use prongs my arrow won't come off unless I bump the arrow on something while moving my bow around.

Things to ponder anyway.

Paul
Old 08-19-2007, 11:47 AM

I have a loop on the string. I dont normally have any problems keeping the arrow on the string when I am warm. I usually will hunt from a ground blind (not much stalking) and when it is cold I stiffen up and have had the arround bounce off the rest. I have to be careful even with good weather that I dont accidently bounce the arrow off the rest when I am sitting in a ground blind. My shotsare always30 yards or less. I believe my bow was set at 59 pounds the last timeI had it checked on a quality scale at my local shop. I shoot with plastic vanes if that helps. Mike

Old 08-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was introduced to a rest today while putting a few arrows through bows in the Bowtech truck called the Hostage. Of course you can't tell much about a rest shooting with as little shooting as that, but I'm likely to get one to try out.

http://www.bowtechproshop.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&PROD=1174519701&PNAME=T he+Hostage
Old 08-30-2007, 08:25 PM

I like the Ultrarest. Arrows cant fall off and it drops away
Old 08-30-2007, 08:41 PM

i just switched from a whisker biscuit to the qad ultra hunter rest. fully contained and locked until the shot when it drops away. my bow is shooting tighter groups than ever now... ill never go back to the wb.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:50 AM

I used the WB many times in heavy freezing rain - the ultimate test with a rest. It has never frozen on me or failed to work in anyway. I often wonder if some of the complaints I hear about the WB are from people who actually use it.

If you do decide to go with a dropaway, shoot it first and listen. Most that I've heard are way too loud for my tastes. Personally, I would also never choose a dropaway for ground hunting, stalking. Once again the WB is ideal for this. Far more hunters use a WB and love it, than any other rest. The few problems that can crop up with one, are easily correctable when you learn what to do.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

In a basic sense I tend to agree with Paul. When you choose a particular setup it should be done taking into account ALL situations that you may incur. In your case that means being able to draw the bow smoothly in every situation. It's no secret that cold temperature mean cold and stiff muscles, making that first shot harder to draw than if you were warm or warmed up.

If it's just a special situation then maybe drop the bow weight for that hunt. Maybe have different arrows for that setup. And maybe buy a sight and sight it in just for that hunt. Or, if you have the money, a complete different setup just for that cold stuff.

Easier drawing cam bow or maybe drop the weight to about 55 or both and see what happens.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

For what it's worth. I have used WB and found it okay, but if I were going to use a contained rest, I would go with the Hostage. Less contact with your arrows and none on your fletching, comparred to the WB.

Quick Reply: Arrow Rest Recommendation Needed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.