Community
Hunting Gear Discussion Clothing, stands, ATV's, optics, scents, calls, etc... read the latest reviews of hot new hunting gear items here.

Range Finder

Old 08-12-2003, 07:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Range Finder

I am looking to purchase a new range finder any info would be helpful! I ws looking at the yardage pro scout! I will be using mainly for bowhunting! Thanks.
Old 08-12-2003, 08:08 AM

Default RE: Range Finder

I purchased a yardage pro legend last year. I wanted something waterproof so I decided on that model verses the Scout. I' ve been very happy with it so far, looking forward to another season using it.
Old 08-12-2003, 11:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

I have the Scout and for bow hunting it works great! I also use for firearm hunting, but have found at long distances, especially in low light it is a little hard to read the display and hold steady on a moving target. If I was buying for this practice I would buy a Leica. However I use mine for distances when I setup in my shooting lanes(Bow or Firearm) then put it away, which is what most bow hunters do anyway and in this model it is a good unit. I have taken readings on game from 7 yards to 338 yards. I really like it for setting up practice sessions, no more pacing off to get my pins set up. all in all a great tool to have and it will give up a little assurance when you take to the field. If you want one for just bow hunting, I believe Bushnell Sport is cheaper and will range deer out to 150, in case you wanted to check it out as well.

One tidbit, remove the battery when not using it for a long period of time, it will drain the battery b/c it doesn' t really have a on/off button but rather shuts down automatically..one poor feature IMO.
Old 08-13-2003, 11:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I want the new one from Leupold, the combo range finder and binoculars. Only $800 but seems like the best solution to me and they are waterproof.

Still, I' d have to try them first and I can' t find them in this podunk town I live in. Oh well, next time I" m in the big city I' ll see if I can look through a pair. In the mean time I' ll dream that others will start to make a comparable product (Bushnell does as does Leica) but the Leupolds seem the best right now (price vs. features).

Old 08-14-2003, 12:13 AM

i use the leica 800. i like it due to everything being in red on the screen
Old 08-16-2003, 11:15 PM

Bushnell, as well as Nikon, make quality rangefinders.
Old 08-18-2003, 12:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another vote for the SCOUT.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:07 PM

Another vote for the Scout.