Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Range finder??

Old 06-23-2005, 12:07 PM

Default Range finder??

I wanted to see if you guys knew of a good place to order a range finder online, which ones are the best and have a low price tag. Thanks for any help.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:40 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Range finder??

Cabelas, try ebay too. I have the Bushnell Scout and love it. It is small, light, easy to carry, and easy to use.
Old 06-23-2005, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

I have a few good mag. articles on optics/range finders but I'm at work and don't have access to the specifics. I do remember the articles saying that you need one with a scan mode.
Old 06-23-2005, 01:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use the Bushnell Legend. It is tiny, fully waterproof and works great.
Old 06-23-2005, 04:10 PM
Typical Buck

I have a Bushnell scout, it works great and is small , price runs around 179.00 for a black one. My wife wants one of the Nikon's., its about the same size but costs a bit more..
Old 06-23-2005, 04:17 PM

They're not allowed here (Idaho).
Old 06-23-2005, 07:08 PM
Boone & Crockett

Check out Eders.com . They regularly have sales on popular items like rangefinders.

I currently have a Bushnell Sport that I am content with though I wish the optics were a bit better. If I buy another eventually then I believe I would opt for a Nikon Monarch. Very accurate with great optics.
Old 06-23-2005, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here is a copy of apost I just made on one of the hunting gear reviews. Keep in mind everybody likes something different than the next guy and better prices can be found if a guy shops around. The prices I have listed are what a guy would pay at a Bass Pro or Cabelas.

I guess one's preference dependsa lot on the type of hunting you do. If you hunt strictly from a treestand size isn't that big of a factor. If you are hiking up and down the mountains bowhunting for elk, size becomes a big deal. For the past seven years or so I have used Bushnell's yardage pro 500, but I am looking to upgrade. Today I used the Leica LRF 900 ($500.00), a Bushnell Scout (Black/Green $250.00), and Nikon Monarch 800 (Black $350.00).

No doubt the best glass of the three rangefinders was Leica's and in lower lightit should be easier to see the readout being it is in red. However, both the Scout and the Monarch viewfinders were very clear all the way out to the edge. What I didn't like about the Leica was its size. Though it is smaller than what I currently use I would have trouble getting it in my pocket.

Call me stupid but because of the size I would buy either of the Monarch 800 or the Scoutbefore I bought the Leica and not feel handicapped in the least. Between the Scout and the Monarch I would give the edge to the Monarch only because I felt the target aquisition was a smidge better, it gives 1/2 yard readouts,it is fogproof, and it iswaterproof. The Scout is simplywater resistant but is obviously the cheapest.

Old 06-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'd check on ebay for a deal ,I bought mine from a camera shop and it was the Bushnell 800 ,it worked great for 6 years and then I made a serious mistake by forgeting to take the battery out ,it corroded up on me and wouldn't work even after cleaning .I sent it to Bushnell and believe it or not they sent me a brand new Sport for the cost of repair's .
I was very satisfied with thier customer relation's .

nubo
Old 06-23-2005, 07:35 PM

I have a Bushnell Sport. It works very well. I havent' used it in the rain, so I don't know how well it will filter the rain out. But, unless you miraculously find a great sale or a used one, you are just not going to find one for under $150 brand new. The more expensive the model, the more features. As with all other hunting gear out there, the sky is the limit.

Quick Reply: Range finder??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.