Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Rifled slugs in the smooth bore? >

Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

Old 08-09-2008, 08:31 PM

Default Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

I bought an 870 combo it comes with both the rifled barrel has twists in it and a smooth bore barrel for turkeys and small game. I am new in the world of shotguns.

My question is I bought some Remington slugger rifled slugs thinking that I should use them for my rifled barrel with twists in it. However, when I read the box on the slugs it tells me NOT to use them in a demascus or rifle twisted barrel.

Should I keep these and just use and use them in the smooth bore barrel that was desinged for small game?

I really do NOT want to have to spend $12 for a box of 5 rounds compared to the $4 that I paid for these.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Rifled slugs in the smooth bore?

sabots for rifled barrels,

rifled slugs for smooth bores.

They do cost more, but how many do you really need?

Old 08-09-2008, 10:28 PM

I know what you are saying. I have the fixed sight barrel so it probably won't take many shots to get it sighted in with. It just won't be very much fun with at the range. We'll have to see...
Old 08-09-2008, 10:32 PM

ORIGINAL: Dozen Arrows

I know what you are saying. I have the fixed sight barrel so it probably won't take many shots to get it sighted in with. It just won't be very much fun with at the range. We'll have to see...
I will never use a rifled slug, my rifled barrel loves SST's, Expanders and Lightfields to much I'm willing to pay the extra money to please my barrel and to bring down my deer. This is how i look at it, you spend hundreds on boots, clothes, guns, optics, tags, whats $100 on quality ammunition that shoots out to 150 yards?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:35 PM

I know, I know and I would look at it the same way but I really want my 12 year old to have fun with it. Besides, a sabot slug would kick harder too I think?

So how much does a choke cost, any ideas?
Old 08-09-2008, 10:49 PM

ORIGINAL: Dozen Arrows

I know, I know and I would look at it the same way but I really want my 12 year old to have fun with it. Besides, a sabot slug would kick harder too I think?

So how much does a choke cost, any ideas?
I couldn't notice a difference to tell you the truth, i've fired the rifled slugs out of a smooth barrel. The sabots are faster but theres not that much difference if any recoil wise. About $35 for a rifled choke tube. Between $15-$25 for others
Old 08-09-2008, 11:06 PM

I don't quite understand the concept of the choke tubes. I guess I will have to go back to bass pro and have them explain it to me. I guess it looks like it just plugs in to the end of the barrel some how,yes/no? And can you remove them easyenough for when you want to use the barrel for small game again?

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10151_-1_10001_94899_400004011_400000000_400004000_400-4-11
Old 08-10-2008, 08:55 AM

I posted in your other thread about the same thing. You can shoot a rifled slug in rifle barrel, many do it. It just makes a big mess and is a pain to clean. It won't hurt the barrel though. And some rifled guns shoot a rifled slug very accurately as well.

The modern sabot rounds perform better on game though since they have a controlled expansion design, but they are pretty pricey. I know plenty of people that just won't pay that kind of money and shoot winchester or remington rifled slugs. They don't have any trouble killing deer with them.

As far as recoil, if it is the same weight projectile at the same speed the recoil will be the same.

Paul
Old 08-10-2008, 05:30 PM

Thanks Paul, I will go ahead and shoot the 6 boxes of Remington Sluggers that I have this year. Next year I will switch to sabots.

Thanks everyone for the help.