Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
Accuracy with Smooth Bore and rifled slug >

Accuracy with Smooth Bore and rifled slug

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Accuracy with Smooth Bore and rifled slug

Old 11-11-2002, 05:07 PM

Default Accuracy with Smooth Bore and rifled slug

I bench rested my shotgun today and was little disappointed with results. I’m shooting 12GA Benelli Montefeltro 28” VR smooth bore with Tru- glo sight mounted. I’m shooting IC choke as per ammo witch is 2 ¾ 1oz Remington Slugger rifled slug.
Bench rested, I could only get pie plate groups at 50yds. Freehanded 35yds in I was nails but any farther my groups opened up.
Does this sound like normal performance for this setup or should I expect more?

TrestandEd

"Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING
Old 11-12-2002, 05:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Accuracy with Smooth Bore and rifled slug

YOU HAVE ONE HELL OF A GREAT GUN. SHOULD PUT A RIFLED BARREL ON IT. BUT IF YOUR USING THE SMOOTH BORE WITH FORSTER SLUGS, THEN TRY WINCHESTER, FEDERAL OR WHAT WAORKS FOR ME IF I DO USE MY OLDER SMOOTH BORE ARE THE BRENNEKES. YOU WILL BE SURPRISE HOW MUCH DIFFERENCE THERE IS FROM ONE BRAND TO ANOTHER. REMINGTON'S FORSTERS SLUGS NEVER DID WELL FOR ME.
Old 11-12-2002, 05:44 AM

Id love too but no one makes one to fit my model benelli.

TrestandEd

"Hard work ... conviction ... pride ... responsibility ... class ... character ... success...BOWHUNTING
Old 11-12-2002, 06:18 AM

Like BHC said, try some other slugs. Lightfields are another popular brand that many guys have good luck with. There are guns that just won't throw a tight group with a foster slugs, but overall you should expect more from your gun, even at 50 yards.

--Sign In Chinese Pet Store: "Buy one dog, get one flea..."--
Old 11-12-2002, 06:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

This kind of performance is not at all unusual for a smoothbore shooting Foster-type slugs. BUT, some other brand of slug might shoot a lot better! I have an Ithaca Deerslayer smoothbore that will shoot 3" groups at 100 yards, but only with one certain lot of Remington slugs, and no others!! I recommend you try different brands of reguar Fosters, and also some of the various "Brenneke" (those with attached wad columns)types. You will probably discover some type of slug that will shoot better than the ones you described.

Keep yore powder dry!!
Old 11-12-2002, 08:40 AM

I've found that I can get good accuracy with Foster Slugs when I shoot no more than 6 rounds. After that the accuracy is lost because of plastic buildup in the barrel. Once the plastic is cleaned out with a good solvent that's designed to remove plastic, the accuracy returns.
Old 11-12-2002, 11:10 AM

It seems the Montefeltro and M90 auto, (black gun) can interchange barrels but might require a different forearm. You might want to call Benelli and see what you can find out.

Another option would be to give Brownell's a call and see if anyone makes a rifled choke tube for the Benelli. They carry a cantilever type scope mount that fits on the rib. You'd have extra length but probably one heck of a more accurate gun using sabots. Friend of mine outfitted an 870 for his boy that way and it shoots great.

You might want to try the Brenneke as was mentioned. 2 of the guys in the bunch use the M90s with smoothbore slug barrels and they're deadly at 100 yds. with the Brennekes.
Old 11-12-2002, 03:57 PM
Typical Buck

the problem is not your gun,your shooting one of the best.its just that your gun does not like remington slugs.i shoot a remington 1100 with smooth bore iron sighted slayer barrel and have the same problem with remington slugs.with 1 1/4 oz active slugs @ 100 yards i group 2 to 3 inches,big difference.try slugs untill you find the one you shotgun likes,its that simple.try both 1 oz and 1 1/4 oz slugs,that little 1/4 oz sometimes makes a difference.

Edited by - coyoteseeker on 11/12/2002 16:58:17
Old 11-12-2002, 06:12 PM

Thanks everyone, Im gonna stick with setup for now I just got to stay under 50yds.
I plan on getting rifled choke and after slug season stock up on diffent types slugs for early next season.
Thanks

TrestandEd