Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Kimber 8400M or 84M Rifles >

Kimber 8400M or 84M Rifles

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Kimber 8400M or 84M Rifles

Old 03-12-2008, 01:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Kimber 8400M or 84M Rifles

What do you guys honestly think of these rifles ? Would you buy one and if so why?
Old 03-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Kimber 8400M or 84M Rifles

Sure would...and did. I've had an 84 M in .308 for a couple of years. Good build quality on this one. I have heard of complaints in the QC area, but mine is great. Absolutely no issues. I like it alot. It's very light weight and plenty accurate. I put a Swaro AV 3-9 X 36 on it. Balances well, looks great. Good wood. I did add a cheek-n-stock cheek pad though. I don't like posting pics of my guns on the web, but I can e-mail you pics should you so desire.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oldelk,

You're pretty sly. This was a loaded question.

Alright what have you witnessed recently?

Tom
Old 03-12-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

My only experience was one I purchased 2 years ago (XMAS) present. It was an 84m in 7-08..I didn't really look it over very well when I purchased it and I didn't have my glasses on. WHen I purchased it the barrel was not centered, I looked at the shop owner and he said that a lot had been going to him that way. It had the old 2 position safety and otherwise looked decent. A few weeks later I killed a Doe at last light with the thing. I sent it in to Kimber and told them to add the 3 postion safety and to check the barrel alignment in the stock. The only thing that came back that was original was the barrel and the action ..everything else was replaced and they threw in a "Select " stock. Gun shot very well after that even better then before. I thought the action was rough when I purchased it and it really didn't improve a whole lot. Bottom Line I ended up selling it and maybe I regret doing that now in retrospect.The dealer has a 8400m in Walnut in 7WSM(my favorite caliber) and he is going to sell it to me for a ridiculous price, I can go on Gunbroker and resell it for a few hundred more . He has had it for about 2 years and no one has even looked at it. You know I absolutely love great pointing shotguns..the Kimber is a great pointing rifle maybe that's why I like the way they feel.
Old 03-12-2008, 01:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oldelk,

You're pretty sly. This was a loaded question.

Alright what have you witnessed recently?

Tom
Not really read my 2nd post
Old 03-12-2008, 01:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I remember some time back you weren't all that happy with them. I thought you were baiting! LOL.

Sounds like Kimber treated you pretty well. I know how it goes though when your disappointed by something. Sometimes no amount of correction will bring that feeling back.

I've always wanted a Kimber, though I have to admit that I would be more than disappointed if I purchased one it wasn't a shooter. That potential disappointment is why I've never bought one.

I think my first higher end rifle will be a Sako over the Kimber.

Tom
Old 03-12-2008, 03:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

I remember some time back you weren't all that happy with them. I thought you were baiting! LOL.

Sounds like Kimber treated you pretty well. I know how it goes though when your disappointed by something. Sometimes no amount of correction will bring that feeling back.
The first time someone buys an unknown quantity like I did and has problems with itit is hard to get over it. They have had their share of QC problems. This one is built pretty well but who knows it could perform likea shotgun and not a rifle. You won't find many rifles that come up and point like these do that is for sure and the weight is about perfect..too light in the montana in a short mag but these are about perfect.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:54 PM
bigcountry

I have shot a few and handled a few. And results were mixed. I too saw a 7mm08 in action. And really expected better accuracy. It was shooting like my browning A-bolt. About 1.2MOA. I always loved the wood however. Everytime I go to buy one, I come back hesitate.