Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15 >

What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

Old 02-29-2008, 02:52 PM
Typical Buck

Default What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

i am thinking of buying an AR-15 but parts for the M16 are more available at my gun shop. would the same parts work in either gun or are there subtle differences that'd make them not fit?
Old 02-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Spike

Default RE: What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

The biggest difference is the M16 is capable of burst or full automatic fire. The AR15 is the civilian (read: semi-automatic) version of the M16. To stay legal make sure you don't use any M16 parts that would convert it to automatic fire.

You might be able to find an M16, but it'd have to be produced prior to the late 80's machinegun ban unless I'm mistaken. It would also cost roughly the same or more as a typical small car.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

and you need a class 3 firearms liscense to own fully automatic weapons, when you die the liscense and the weapon are taken by the gov
Nope, all you need is the proper forms signed off and pay your $200 tax to the BATF, and Machine guns are fully transferable at any time in states that allow transfers.

You can't build a full auto rifle legally unless you are a manufacturer (in which case, the firearms are only transferrable to police or military)or are using registeredx parts that existed before the 1986 ban.

The difference between a M16 and AR-15 is the fire control group. The M16 uses a different bolt carrier, hammer, sear, and possibly a few other parts- you don't want to get causght with any of these parts in an AR-15.
Old 02-29-2008, 04:34 PM

"The difference between a M16 and AR-15 is the fire control group. The M16 uses a different bolt carrier, hammer, sear, and possibly a few other parts- you don't want to get causght with any of these parts in an AR-15. "

This is a partially true statement. You don't want to get caught with ALL these parts in your gun, making it into a class III gun. But there are some parts such asthe bolt and carrier, that are quite legal to have in an AR15. Some makers have been using them off and on for years.

A good place to learn about AR15s is AR15.com. I highly recommend that you read allot and do some research before you buy. There are good deals out there, and there are dealers that will rip you off because of the "black gun" factor and all the incorrect info on the street regarding legalities and capabilities.

Hank
Old 02-29-2008, 06:07 PM

ORIGINAL: ahankster

"The difference between a M16 and AR-15 is the fire control group. The M16 uses a different bolt carrier, hammer, sear, and possibly a few other parts- you don't want to get causght with any of these parts in an AR-15. "

This is a partially true statement. You don't want to get caught with ALL these parts in your gun, making it into a class III gun. But there are some parts such asthe bolt and carrier, that are quite legal to have in an AR15. Some makers have been using them off and on for years.

A good place to learn about AR15s is AR15.com. I highly recommend that you read allot and do some research before you buy. There are good deals out there, and there are dealers that will rip you off because of the "black gun" factor and all the incorrect info on the street regarding legalities and capabilities.

Hank
Good advice. And sure you can have some M16 parts in your AR with no legal worries, just make sure it's the allowable parts!
Old 02-29-2008, 06:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

ar15 parts are easy to find only and will more then likly be cheaper
Old 03-01-2008, 05:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

This is a partially true statement. You don't want to get caught with ALL these parts in your gun, making it into a class III gun.
I knew that Colt used/uses M16 or slightlymodified M16 carriers in their AR-15s, but I didn't want to go into the intricate details
Old 03-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

okay, so basically i can use them as long as i don't convert it to full auto. That what i was hoping for.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:40 PM

ORIGINAL: the_sandman_454

The biggest difference is the M16 is capable of burst or full automatic fire. The AR15 is the civilian (read: semi-automatic) version of the M16. To stay legal make sure you don't use any M16 parts that would convert it to automatic fire.

You might be able to find an M16, but it'd have to be produced prior to the late 80's machinegun ban unless I'm mistaken. It would also cost roughly the same or more as a typical small car.
Are you referring to the A1 or the A2? I don't know the characteristics of the A1 but I do know about the A2 and the A2 is not fully automatic. It's semi-auto or with the flip of a small switch becomes a 3 round burst (which is worthless). Also, I don't know about the AR 15 either but the M 16 holds up to 30 rounds and is a sweet little .22 that is capable of hitting a torso at 500 yards using nothing but a peep sight and well tightened sling tied to your arm like a turnakit.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:32 AM

You can get a 30 rounds magazine for the AR-15 also, except a few states do have magazine limits to 10 rds for some reason, here in NC there is no magazine limit.

Quick Reply: What's the difference? M16 vs. AR-15

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.