Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer >

25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Old 03-09-2008, 06:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

I've seen probably a handful of deer shot with a 25-06, and I have yet to see it anchor a deer in its tracks.

This year is the first time I've ever personally used a quarter bore. My 25wssm didn't drop a deer dead in its tracks either.

My 243 always drops 'em dead in there tracks, and my 7mm Rem Mag (rifle of choice), really knocks 'em dead.
Old 03-09-2008, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

I've seen probably a handful of deer shot with a 25-06, and I have yet to see it anchor a deer in its tracks.

This year is the first time I've ever personally used a quarter bore. My 25wssm didn't drop a deer dead in its tracks either.

My 243 always drops 'em dead in there tracks, and my 7mm Rem Mag (rifle of choice), really knocks 'em dead. [align=right]
[/align]
Well in all fairness not many cartridges do but I have had a pretty good sucess rate of DRT's using 308,30-06,270 and 7 mags..everything else they run.
Old 03-09-2008, 07:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rammer

My 243 always drops 'em dead in there tracks, and my 7mm Rem Mag (rifle of choice), really knocks 'em dead.

OK gotta ask, what's the difference in "dead in their tracks" and "really knocks 'em dead?"[8D][8D]

Back to the original question....Shot a doe this past season at 125 yards and she ran about 30 yards. No problem tracking as the 117 grainSierra Game King opened up some pretty nice holes.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:14 PM
Fork Horn

I have shot several deer with my 25-06. Some droped right there, some not. None made it more than 30-40 yards though. That compares the same as my brothers 300wm. So, I think it is a very good deer cartidge.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: VAhuntr

OK gotta ask, what's the difference in "dead in their tracks" and "really knocks 'em dead?"[8D][8D]

Back to the original question....Shot a doe this past season at 125 yards and she ran about 30 yards. No problem tracking as the 117 grainSierra Game King opened up some pretty nice holes.
Really knocks 'em dead, is when they get picked up off their feet a few inches, and shoved back about 10 yards.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

My first "good buck" came at the hands ofa 2506 rem and 115gr partition, anchored him to the snow with a punch right on through both shoulders and the bullet exited. By good I mean a mature saskatchewan buck with a 150 class rack and 300# frame. I thinkthe gunsmith you mention must have gotten his infoto my hunting buddiesat time as well, they somehow talked me out of using the 2506 for deer. Since thenI have actually learnedthe 2506 rem is a perfectly suited deer cartridge, having seen numerous deer shot with it and other 1/4 bores. Couple it with Nosler part, Barnes TSX or similar and you can take all the raking shots you desire on deer sized game. If longer range is your usage model the 110 ABmay be thecandy you choose. Good bullet selection for the reloader as well. What can I say i like it!

270win vs. 2506rem both capable. I own both currently and ifthe 2506rem was in a LH action I'd pick it over the 270win actually. I see absolutely nothing wrong with a 115gr nosler partition at 30-31K.
Old 03-09-2008, 09:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Really knocks 'em dead, is when they get picked up off their feet a few inches, and shoved back about 10 yards.
The cartridge I have ever seen do that to a deer is a 350. Notice where the decmial is.... its a period. Thats a 350 under the hood of a Chevy Silvarado truck.

There is no bullet coming from a shoulder fired sporting gun that will physically "knock" a deer up off its feet, and certainly not back ten yards. How a deer reacts to getting hit by a 3000fps+ bullet might well have him end up ten yards back.... but the bullet didn't carry him there like the hammer of thor....

As to deer dropping on the spot, I don't have total figures over the years, but I'd suspect that a 30/30 Ackley has been responsible for more no-tracking jobs than any other cartridge for me. Followed by a 30/06, 7-08 and as of late the .204. But that is all about bullet placement. If you shot a deer in the can with a .470 I suspect he'd go a right fair piece.... or you could drill him just right with a 6mm and his back legs will fold up and he will lay down like a kitten for you.
Old 03-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've a good buddy that uses a 25-06 with great success. I would believe it would be no different than any other deer gun with the right shot placement.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

"It's not a deer dropper now"
There is NO cartridge on earth that can be fired from the shoulder that will drop a deer, or any other game animal, with one shot EVERY TIME. In this regard, the .250 Savage and the .257 Roberts both have been considered very good deer cartridges for almost 100 years now. The .25/'06 is even better. I had one, a Ruger No. 1V. Using handloaded ammo with the Sierra 117-grain bullet at a MV of over 3000 FPS, it dropped deer as fast as any cartridge I have yet used. I sold that rifle, but I really like the .25/'06 (and the .270 Win., as well!). The .25/'06 is one of thegreat cartridges!

Now does it stand to reason that a rifle firing a bigger bullet at a higher velocity (.25/'06 vs .243 Win.) is going to be less effective on game than the smaller, slower one? Give me a break! You cannot judge the relative merit of a cartridge by what happens in a couple of instances! Such results are "not statistically significant"........ shot placement is still THE MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR.
Old 03-10-2008, 05:14 AM

If everyone says a 243 is a great deer cartridge then why wouldnt a 25-06? With both of the cartridges you will have to select the right bullet for the job but the 25-06 has more power then a 243. So why would the 25-06 be that much less of an good deer rifle?

Quick Reply: 25-06 and its effectiveness on Deer

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.