Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 muzzleloader hunting indiana >

muzzleloader hunting indiana

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

muzzleloader hunting indiana

Old 08-18-2007, 12:58 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default muzzleloader hunting indiana

i started hunting in ky then moved back to indiana and you can not use a rifle for deer here so i am thinking of useing a shotgun and might us a muzzle loader

what muzzleloader do you guys recommed and should i use pellets or powder
Old 08-18-2007, 05:04 PM

Default RE: muzzleloader hunting indiana

There are lots of good MLs on the market right now, just depends on how much money you want to spend. If you get one though stick with a 50 cal.

Pellets are easier to work with, but they cost more and you can't really work up a load with them. Your choices are fairly limited. If your gun likes that powder charge though they are pretty convenient to use.

And remember, just because you get a gun that can handle a magnum charge (150 grns) doesn't mean you have to shoot it that way. Many guns are very accurate with 80 to 100 grns of powder, depending on the type of powder you use.

You normally can't go wrong with a Knight muzzle loader if you can't make up your mind. I own a remington 700 inline, it's accurate but a pain to clean.

I also own a H&R ultra slug gun. The slug guns are very convenient and easy to use, which is why I got it. However they are more expensive to shoot over time. A pack of bullets and a bottle of powder for your inline will last you a long time once you work up a load for it. Unless you like to shoot it a lot. But some of the modern slug loads cost between 10 and 15 bucks for FIVE shells!!!

And from what I have seen the inline ML's still have a slight advantage in accuracy and range over the slug guns. Not that some slug guns won't do it, but it seems the ML's are easier and cheaper to get there. Unless you get lucky right away with your slug gun.

Plus you have the added bonus of being able to use the same gun in two different seasons.

If money isn't an issue take a look at the Savage inlines that can shoot smokeless powder, very nice guns.

Also the mossberg 500 pump can be equipped with a shot barrel, slug barrel and a 50 cal muzzle loader barrel. I have never shot one nor do I know anyone that has that one. So I can't say how good the ML version is. I know many that have the slug barrels though, I had one at one time.

Paul
Old 08-19-2007, 08:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

i started hunting in ky then moved back to indiana and you can not use a rifle for deer here so i am thinking of useing a shotgun and might us a muzzle loader

what muzzleloader do you guys recommed and should i use pellets or powder
When I lived in Indiana, we had a choice of using a shotgun or a ML. In those days, shotguns were on the rough side, with nothing but Foster type slugs available.

Figuring that ANY KIND of a rifle is superior to a shotgun, I used a sidleock percussion .50-caliber Hawken custom rifle made by the late Virgil Hartley of Indianapolis. I shot my deer with .500" round balls, and 90 grains of DuPont FFg. At any range up to 80 or soyards, I killed every deer I aimed it at with ONE ball. Even though great strides have been made in shotgun slug ammo, I'd still use a ML. But today, it would be a flintlock!
Old 08-19-2007, 05:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt east central IN every year, i tend to flip flop between my inline and slug gun every other year but i think my Knight Disc Elite will be my goto hunt from here on out..
Old 08-19-2007, 05:46 PM

I would take the Savage ML-ll into serious consideration since smokeless is legal in Indiana. Since I've got mine my Encore has been sold. Easy to use, cheaper to shoot, and less recoil as well. The accutrigger is adjustable as well.
Old 08-19-2007, 06:24 PM
Fork Horn

2nd doegirl, hunted with mine last year in southern indiana, foul weather harvested my doe without a hitch. No bruises on my shoulder either