Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Crossbows
Got my first buck with stealth ss >

Got my first buck with stealth ss

Community
Crossbows This is the place to discuss hunting with crossbows and crossbow equipment. This is NOT a crossbow debate forum.

Got my first buck with stealth ss

Old 10-18-2014, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

. 2 blades were forward one closed and other pretty well closed and third was partial back.

To me this would say none opened which is obviously not the case. Again what else would you (rafsob)have expected any other broadhead to have done that this one did not?
Old 10-18-2014, 12:27 PM
Typical Buck

To the O.P.,

I have used the spitfire 125's for many years with great results. The position of the blades after you removed the arrow are not a reflection of whether they deployed or not. When target practicing if the broadhead fully penetrates the target but the shaft does not the sudden stop will often close all the blades. but inspection on the entry side will show that the blades did indeed deploy. As for the swackers I think they would be a great head to use and I have thought about trying them myself.
And my apologies for getting off topic in the above post.
Old 10-18-2014, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Have you ever hunted for deer before? Deer runs through woods and everything will grab that arrow and yes it will cause that damage!!!
Old 10-18-2014, 04:08 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rafsob
Have you ever hunted for deer before? Deer runs through woods and everything will grab that arrow and yes it will cause that damage!!!
For knowing so much your sure wrong a lot. Have a nice day professor
Old 10-19-2014, 12:36 AM
Spike

With all the rain we have been having here is my second hunt this year and this is what I got Saturday with the crossbow! Complete pass through on the heart at 15 yards. Hit where I aimed and did not go but 30 yards! The buck came right behind me never had that before at about 5 yrds! I had to wait till it moved out behind to shoot him. Safety worked perfect as I read to do. No sound when holding both sides with fingers. I will do that for here on out! Age you think on the buck? Friend thinks for sure good solid 115 field dressed. We never weighed it. Sure had a lot more meat and fat layer.

Old 10-19-2014, 09:45 AM
Typical Buck

Very nice! What broadhead did you use? I would guess 1.5 year old and field dress closer to 125 pounds.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:03 AM
Spike

Friend thought buck was about 2. I was guessing weight us we was pulling it up the steep mtn seemed more like 125 lbs maybe 130. Something like that. Nap spitfire broadheads left a good blood trail. Exit wod looked like a slit to me like a two blade. Don't know if third blade opened or cut any. I did not inspect it that close but across blades cut looked like on exit. Deer was all muscle except for thick fat layer.

Last edited by bravo2; 10-19-2014 at 11:26 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:58 PM
Spike

Third hunt third deer but I lost it, a doe yesterday and know I hit her good took me a while to find blood trail and could here her not far away. 15-20 yrd shot from ladder stand. I first saw doe to my left about 15 yrds. She spooked off looking at me. A doe came back 10 minutes later from opposite side. Thinking same deer not certain. I shot her at 15-20 yrds. The bolt showed I hit her by hairs and smell but no blood like when I shot the buck. I know It was a pass through. I went picked up a the blood trail over 50 yrds out. First 20 yrds or so I found nothing. I tracked the deer 3/4 mile or a mile I sure. I figured early on I may be pushing her as pools of blood then drips and so on thought the tracking. She bleed good then barely drops at times a ways then pools again. I almost could not stay on the trail but we tracked her through a creek and she doubled back by us back over the creek and lost trail right about where she came in at crossing the same road. We kept hearing her ahead but could not catch up to her so I know we lost her 20 yrds or so from the road and think she went out to road where she came in at. I could not believe she did not bleed out. Spent three hrs and I just gave up in the dark at that point when we where right back to same trail. I hated loosing a deer and not finding it but we tracked good and hard and had fresh blood the whole way so I know we kept pushing her till we finally lost her. I bet she was not 15-25 yrds away for longest.
I'm trying another broadheads as this one I had two broken blades. I'm not doing this again if I can keep from it. Two deers I had to track the other had no blood trail for 100 yrds that I could not find on the spike. The 6 point buck blood trail was like this one and he dropped 30 yrds.
What you all recommend. Havoc, swackers, toxic, or ramcats? I'm not going to use rage as not interested in them to many neg reviews even though good ones. The ones from what it's called craft looks good also.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

News flash... Mechanical broadheads don't always pass threw and for the ones that stay in body cavity... Hears the news flash... The arrow can actually back out of deer while running... What happens to a mechanical broadhead like the spit fire when you pull arrow back... Blades go forward...
Old 10-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Spike

Those are things I already knew about. Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.