Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
Shawnee State Forest >

Shawnee State Forest

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shawnee State Forest

Old 02-26-2002, 03:13 PM

Default Shawnee State Forest

Has anyone hunted the Shawnee State Forest in Southern Ohio? My home state is PA but I also hunt Illinois and as of last year Ohio also. I hunted the Athends district of the Wayne National Forest and although my hunting partner and I passed up a few small bucks we were looking for a spot which was a little more remote and had a little less hunting pressure for this year. I have heard the Shawnee has little hunting pressure but I'd like to know if anyone out there has hunted it before or possibly may know someone who has.
Old 02-26-2002, 06:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shawnee State Forest

No, but I have hunted a lot in the conesville coal lands, now part of Woodberry wildlife area in Coshocton county. their is some good hunting, but it is rough country, old strip mines and cliffs with deep ponds. theirs also a number of nice deer if you can get to them.

TAKE YOUR KIDS HUNTING AND YOU WON'T BE HUNTING FOR YOUR KIDS
Old 02-27-2002, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shawnee State Forest

Shawnee is big area. I haven't been there, but it's in south central Oh. They have a special muzzle loader season I think. Another big area, around 2,300 acres is Brush Creek. I have grouse hunted there and have seen lots of sign and deer. Turkeys, too. It's in Jefferson county near Salineville. Right on the Pa border. Pretty rugged & hilly there. It was stripped at some time. You might want to check Brush Creek out.
5 shot, did you see any grouse in Woodberry? I haven't been there in awhile. We didn't see any, but that was before the Coneville property was bought. Thanks.

Phil.