Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Do you think you're out-smarting your whitetails?? >

Do you think you're out-smarting your whitetails??

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Do you think you're out-smarting your whitetails??

Old 04-11-2008, 07:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you think you're out-smarting your whitetails??

I always walk into my stands backwards. If a deer comes across my track he thinks I just left.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: racewayking

I can see 1,3, and 4 but do you really think that 2 is a factor? I have a ghetto hunting tip for another day that might eliminate the issue but I have never seen a problem. I have a bow rope on all my stands at both locations I hunt and haven't seen any issues. The "Mojito Bandito" smells like a tequila factory on weekends and the bow rope on my stand that he always pirates seems to have no effect on deer.
Absolutely. When climbing my stand, gloves on hand, I reach up and grab the 4th step, no lower. I don't want the deer to smell amything more then they have to and certainly not a bow rope that I've handled with my bare hands. I've seen tracks in the mud and snow where deer have backtracked my scent trail to my stand. They've done this while I've been in my stand. I am not going to give them any more clues to my presence than I have to. Call me superstitious.

Stand selection is also a big difference between us as 7 of the 9 deer taken have been from the stands that I placed.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

I always walk into my stands backwards. If a deer comes across my track he thinks I just left.
I have an email out to Chris Angel to see if I can get tips on levitation so that I never touch the ground
Old 04-11-2008, 08:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Vabowman

racewayking, I have personally never thought about my bow rope, but, you can bet your ass I won't leave another hanging down, not that I do, I usually put it in my pack, but, all the same, just one more little helpful tip from the Greg that I will jot down. I don't see where it would hurt to take it down after you finish hunting everytime.
Here is a big ole ghetto bow rope hanging down, the deer walked right next to it, within 6 inches of it. I have a ghetto tip that helps but this is the Mojito Banditos favorite stand to hunt when I am not around and his grubby asphalt wielding, tequila drinking hands touch it. He hunted this stand the morning this picture was taken. I got into stand at 3PM and this deer walked through within an hour of me getting in. It was also a 50 something degree day. Here is the pic, and there is a bloody arrow if you look closely.

Old 04-11-2008, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

I shot a 8-pointer last season that pegged me when I was at full draw. I still was able to get the arrow off. The 2 does I got never had a clue. The 2 I missed never figured out what was going on,they just walked out of range and keep eating acorns. So I guess I'm doing alright. The funny thing is I felt like I had more cover around me when I shot the buck, that seen me,than any of the other Deer.