Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Felons banned from bowhunting? >

Felons banned from bowhunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Felons banned from bowhunting?

Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Felons banned from bowhunting?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I think a lot of you are WAY too quick to judge. That's my opinion.

I personally knowthree men who have felony records (that I know of).I have high regards fortwo of them. They made mistakes. They paid for them.

It's in the past. They've (2 of 3) gone on to become people I'm proud to call my friend. This makes me less hasty to judge.

I have to agree with you Jeff. I myself have only had a couple of traffic tickets in my life, but I do know guys that were hit with a felony rap when they were young. To say these guys could not Bowhunt because of that?

Well to me there in would be the crime!

People are way too Quick to judge others!! I never judge anyone for their color, their social status, their bank account,or their past. If they are straight with me they are Ok in my book!

Dan
Old 01-29-2008, 01:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

In Colorado, felons may hunt with a muzzleloader. A bow is off limits. I'm not sure of any state which completely bans felons from hunting?

My two cents...
Utah for certain, no felon can hunt, bow included, period.
Nebraska almost for certain.

Sure you can hunt elsewhere, I'm just saying what isn't right, and it's pretty much agreed upon right now that Utah is the best elk state, so go elsewhere? Sure there are other great elk states, but Utah is just another opportunity lost, and a great one, which shouldn't be.
Old 01-29-2008, 01:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

In Colorado, felons may hunt with a muzzleloader. A bow is off limits. I'm not sure of any state which completely bans felons from hunting?

My two cents...
PS- A bow is off limits but a muzzleloader isnt? Did you mean gun/rifle is off limits?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Alright these are all great turn around stories. Although hunting is a privlidge (sp) not a right! So what you want is to break all fellonys into catagories so some law breakers can hunt. Im sorry I disagree. I have a uncle that got drunk and beat the snot out of my aunt a year ago. He will never hunt again, he was a big waterfowl hunter. He never comited a crime for his first 55 years of life should he be able tohunt this fall?
This sounds like a violent crime to me....

We're talking about non-violent, and non-weapon related felons.

The punishment should fit the crime, this is like if someone was caught speeding, we shouldn't let him vote?The two have nothing to do with one another.

Also I thought I'd point out, that you can be convicted, of a lesser crime, maybe you were put up for a felony and had it reduced to manslaughter, etc...misdermenor ? So you can have violenty attacked someone, and still be able to hunt with a gun, own, all legal, yet the non violent non weapon felon can't. Which criminal would you rather be in the woods with?

The violent midermenor criminal that can legally hunt with a firearm, or the non-violent, non-weapon related felon, who cannot be in the woods right a firearm?

And what about self defense? One a felon is released/served his time, he doesn't have the right to defend his home/family with a firearm?

Old 01-29-2008, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

My wife and her shotgun will take care of that!
Old 01-29-2008, 05:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just wanted to say thanks to GMMAT and MarquetteMagnum.

And Arthur P, I don't golf.
Old 01-29-2008, 05:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Crimes fall into two classes: Misdemeanors and felonies. For every action a person decides to do, there is a reaction. You can be convicted of a misdemeanor (domestic abuse) and disqualified from ever owning a firearm again. If you commit a crime that can result in a felony conviction, no matter what the class of felony commited, you are setting yourself up to lose a lot of privileges afforded to us. A bow, no matter how you look at it, is an offensive weapon. If a state takes bows away from convicted felons too, more power to them. If a person is that avid a hunter, they should have thought about the crime they committed a little more thoroughly BEFORE committing it.
Old 01-29-2008, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

I like how everyone thinks that every felonplanned it out like a burglary. When that's not always the case, ie..the guy with an underage girlf, the guy who got in a fight....and alot of the time people don't even realize how serious some crimes are, or that they may be a crime at all.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

The guy who gets into a fight has to know the possible ramifications if he follows through with the fight instead of walking away. If someone wants to fight that bad, join the military and take the fight to someplace that needs to have an attitude adjustment. I've walked away from barroom brawls many times when I was younger. I have also walked away from people who have tried to pick a fight with me. If the other person provokes and makes it improbable to walk away, then thats self defense.

The other instance you stated, if the guy wants to think with the wrong head, then he gets what he gets.

Final line is you have to be responsible for your own actions and accept the consequences if you break the law.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

AF Hunter, wasn't it you who posted not so long ago that your son hauled off and punched some guy in the face unprovoked and that you were proud of it?

Quick Reply: Felons banned from bowhunting?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.